What do I do with my Arenque?

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Seems like Arenque is a pretty cheap source of protein, so I bought a package of three, and they're waiting for me now. I read a recipe, which told me to soak them in water overnight, but it's in spanish and I'm stuck. I have on hand; Onions, cooking tomatoes, scallions, garlic, green peppers(those long light green ones), and the usual amounts of spices lying around. Does any body have a good recipe for Arenque?

Also, I'm looking to expand our diet to include some other cheap sources of protein, like a good way to use thoose cheap cans of sardines in tomato sauce. Any other, cheap dominican ingredient, recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Here is a link to the recipe for Arenque Guisado.

Check out the whole site for all the recipes you need. I bet there's one for a Locrio de Pica Pica (sardines). Other cheap proteins are eggs, avocados and of course habichuelas and guandules.

It's not to right to be craving un guiso de guandules this early in the morning...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Jane,I may be wrong,but I don't think that Avocados are a cheap source of protien.

And you either haven't purchased eggs,"beans" or guandules here in a while,or you are really "Rich"!"FOOD" in general is much cheaper in the US,and of higher quality as well.Eggs here are 5 pesos each in the super,and beans at 35 pesos a pound.The "PicaPica" is about the only thing that is still "cheap",7 pesos for a small can at "POLA". Even salami is over 50 pesos a pound!Most cuts of pork ,the "Para Guisar",are at least 90 pesos a pound.
I suggest "Pecho",or rib meat,which can be bought on sale at the "Super" for 20 to 25 pesos a pound.Then "stewed" in the pressure cooker!The other alternative,is ground beef,de "segundo",at about 35 pesos,but no bones!
I am now raising my own "Free Range" chickens for eggs and meat!Do you know that "Platanos" are at 8 pesos each,on the way to 10 according to the "papers"! And they are only the size of "Bananas"!:cry:

Last edited:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Avena burgers

Naufrago! You should know by now to come to me first with your questions..ahahhaha....

Here is a recipe I love to do when I need something fast, cheap and that can feed an army.

Avena (oats) burgers:

- Oats
- onions
- garlic
- soy sauce
- egg
- verdura (fresh coriander)
- curry powder

Mix it all up and pour a spoon full in a pan with oil, make hamburger shapes. You can eat the patty alone or with bread and garnish as if they were real burger meat! Sometimes to vary I will had a can of tuna. My 4 year old loves it! Enjoy! ;)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Criss Colon said:
And you either haven't purchased eggs,"beans" or guandules here in a while,or you are really "Rich"!"FOOD" in general is much cheaper in the US,and of higher quality as well.Eggs here are 5 pesos each in the super,and beans at 35 pesos a pound.The "PicaPica" is about the only thing that is still "cheap",7 pesos for a small can at "POLA". Even salami is over 50 pesos a pound!Most cuts of pork ,the "Para Guisar",are at least 90 pesos a pound.
I suggest "Pecho",or rib meat,which can be bought on sale at the "Super" for 20 to 25 pesos a pound.Then "stewed" in the pressure cooker!The other alternative,is ground beef,de "segundo",at about 35 pesos,but no bones!
I am now raising my own "Free Range" chickens for eggs and meat!Do you know that "Platanos" are at 8 pesos each,on the way to 10 according to the "papers"! And they are only the size of "Bananas"!:cry:

Yikes! I cannot believe how the prices are going up.
In comparison, though, for avacodos in my area, we pay from $0.70 - $0.99 per avacodo. And for platanos, I paid $7.53 for four good ones the other day. Obviously, these are imports, and should be more expensive in Canada than they are in the DR.