Moving to Puerto Chiquito-Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacha

Jan 31, 2004
freizeit.bonzgd.biz
I am thinking of buying a piece of property and having a house built in Puerto Chiquito. Does anyone have any info on this location or info on where I might find any. Mostly looking for the history of this place, what is going on with the area. Noticed a big vacant old hotel on the grounds near the beach. What is up with that. Thank you

cbello

Nov 19, 2004
Buyer beware

bacha said:
I am thinking of buying a piece of property and having a house built in Puerto Chiquito. Does anyone have any info on this location or info on where I might find any. Mostly looking for the history of this place, what is going on with the area. Noticed a big vacant old hotel on the grounds near the beach. What is up with that. Thank you

hello bacha, My comments might seem a bit harsh but they are words of caution. Be very careful before buying anything in Puerto Chiquito. At part from two houses that are inhabited everything else is abandoned including 3 hotels and multiple houses that have been stripped clean by the locals. I lived for several months in Puerto Chiquito and even the ex-time share complex run by Fun Royal is quickly becoming abandoned itself. I was afraid of going out at night with the frequent sound of gun shots and shady characters. I am confident that you would find something inexpensive in that area, but I know that I would personally never want to live there. You would be much better off if you could find something in Cabarette. It's not much further but so much nicer, safer and not abandoned. Hope you will find this information useful.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
AMEN, AMEN, Amen!!!

The only way for this area to become safe from vandals & thieves is for the whole area to be developed at one time - HIGHLY unlikely. Those that get in early get the cheaper lots, true, but they will most likely suffer the majority of crime & disruption until the whole area is developed!!

Sorry Liz & Bazz, you made the decision before asking me & I was not able to give you this information in time!! ~ Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The short aanswer is

DON'T DO IT!!

The problem with Puerto Chiquito is that it is near the mouth of the Sos?a River that carries all of the sewage out to sea!

The place stinks to high heaven at certain times. This was the downfall for the tourist projects in the area.

IF you should win the Super Ball Lottery, at say, $250 mill or so, then you could buy the whole place, install a good sanitation system for Sos?a Abajo and Charamicos and then, develop the whole area... Maybe 5-10 years down the line.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You've already gotten all the information I could give you. There are better places, keep looking.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
BushBaby said:
AMEN, AMEN, Amen!!!

The only way for this area to become safe from vandals & thieves is for the whole area to be developed at one time - HIGHLY unlikely. Those that get in early get the cheaper lots, true, but they will most likely suffer the majority of crime & disruption until the whole area is developed!!

Sorry Liz & Bazz, you made the decision before asking me & I was not able to give you this information in time!! ~ Grahame.

I have an apartment at Tropicana sur in Pto Chiquito and I do walk around the entire project at any time during the day and at night without any concern to my safety. I have not seen any martians either.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Lambada said:
Lack of martians would not be a good reason to invest a lot of your money in that area at present. Nor would lack of mirrors........................... ;)

Well... you can invest in sea horse ranch and pay zillion of bucks for it and do hope that the place will continue to be a good place or you can pay little money for a place that is not to good for your "gringo mentality" and do hope that it will improve.

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
tomgallo said:
I have an apartment at Tropicana sur in Pto Chiquito and I do walk around the entire project at any time during the day and at night without any concern to my safety. I have not seen any martians either.
I think the place would even scare the **** out of martians.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
wayne said:
I think the place would even scare the **** out of martians.

Not at all!!

You would have to take the same precautions as in any other "isolated"
place in Sosua and sorroundings. Pls, read previous posts referring to go out at night near "Tradewinds"

Pto Chiquito is as secured as any other not populated are in the DR. Can you show me how many people has been killed in that area?

Talk is cheap!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It is located up the hill from Sosua Abajo. There is a gate out in front which isn't manned and there are an assortment of buildings there.

I have had no problems going there myself and would feel very comfortable living there. I just want to live in a more convienent area. I have been there many times and never felt my life was in danger.

bacha

Jan 31, 2004
freizeit.bonzgd.biz
Just to clarify

Escott said:
It is located up the hill from Sosua Abajo. There is a gate out in front which isn't manned and there are an assortment of buildings there.

I have had no problems going there myself and would feel very comfortable living there. I just want to live in a more convienent area. I have been there many times and never felt my life was in danger.

The gate is manned.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
cbello said:
the gate is named but you will notice that a letter or two is missing from the sign.

He said the gate is MANned, meaning there is a guard there to raise & lower the barrier. Whereas this is true for SOME of the time at the main gate (note SOME, not ALL of the time), the lower gate is rarely manned & anyone wanting to get into Puerto Chiquito is always able to do so!! I have found that if you just wave at the security guard at the main gate, he will wave you thriugh anyway, not bothering to stop & ask the 'Why's' & 'Wherefore's' of your visit!! The barrier style gate has always been raised when I go into the area, so it isn't performing much of a deterrent to people wanting to get in for nafarious reasons!! ~ Grahame.

cbello

Nov 19, 2004
Well excuse ME....

BushBaby said:
He said the gate is MANned, meaning there is a guard there to raise & lower the barrier. Whereas this is true for SOME of the time at the main gate (note SOME, not ALL of the time), the lower gate is rarely manned & anyone wanting to get into Puerto Chiquito is always able to do so!! I have found that if you just wave at the security guard at the main gate, he will wave you thriugh anyway, not bothering to stop & ask the 'Why's' & 'Wherefore's' of your visit!! The barrier style gate has always been raised when I go into the area, so it isn't performing much of a deterrent to people wanting to get in for nafarious reasons!! ~ Grahame.

I though it was A Typo but ooopps, thanks again BushBaby for noticing

Juantwo

Jan 22, 2005
tomgallo said:
Not at all!!

You would have to take the same precautions as in any other "isolated"
place in Sosua and sorroundings. Pls, read previous posts referring to go out at night near "Tradewinds"

Pto Chiquito is as secured as any other not populated are in the DR. Can you show me how many people has been killed in that area?

Talk is cheap!!

I am sure it is a matter of point of view but judging from the amount of replies, mostly recommending staying away, I would tend to agree with the majority. Speaking from personal experience of living in Pto Chiquito, I would also recommend staying away. I would definitely not be willing to say that it is as safe as any other place in DR. Leaving aside the fact that there is a river, open sky sour would be a better name, that runs close by, the sanitation and garbage situation is not worst in Pto Chiquito than anywhere else in DR, the piles of garbage are pretty much the same height and they sure smell the same as everywhere else in DR.

The first sign of problem is that a part from less than one third of the ex- time-share complex and 2 or 3 houses that are still livable, provided you keep the gates and fences around in good condition. All other houses in that area are in a real sad shape. I visited a few of the ruins and was amazed at how thorough and efficient the looters were. You can?t find one small piece of plumbing, electrical or anything else that is not berried deep in concrete. Not true, you do find lots of garbage, even human defection, but I am sure they were brought in after the original owners ran out.

In real-estate the number one two and three rules are location, location, location. If you are thinking of opening up survival and last-chance self defense school, then I think you found the right location, you will get a lot of opportunity to practice what you teach. For living, I am not sure the location is that great. I am a sound sleeper, I am not afraid of much and I like to think that I can still make the difference between daring and careless. Being woken up two or three nights a week by gun shots (not shots from a distance either, close by) is not what I call a safe neighborhood. The local fauna is most interesting, and I am not talking about the kind that has 4, 6 or 8 legs, the two legged version. The area offers a good assortment of desperates, looters, thieves and all around dangerous people. You would stand a better chance in the jungle.

One other point I find interesting is the false sense of security the gates seem to bring to people. Yes there is a ?Manned Gate? but if you come in later at night you usually have to open the gate yourself, there is no one around. When there is someone there, the person is about 5 foot no inches and about 50 pounds, I am not sure he would have a chance against the roosters that runs free around him, never mind a person that had the intention of going in because he figures he deserves to have your possessions more than you. On the nights I didn?t want to get out to open the gate myself I just came in a bit lower down the hill, just around the Moto-Concho stand and local watering hole. There is no gate there. Not true, there is a gate but I think it is rusted open. I have never seen anyone watching that entrance.

No matter how many people reply and regardless of what they say, seeing is believing. If you can, rent before you buy. I figure that the banks that own those places would be so eager to recuperate the money they lost when the original owners defaulted that I am sure you can interest them in making a bit of money. Their first reaction will be to try to off-load the properties at all costs but if you insist, I am sure you will be bale to come to some sort of arrangements and be able to rent-to-own type deal. Just be careful of what you sign.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Condos at Puerto Chiquito

I almost bought a place at Puerto Chiquito to be used as a tourist rental. This is the row of condos up near the main road and behind the row of trees. The place was in disrepair/mismanaged and their water system (holding tank) was undersized. They would conserve electricity in the daytime so if you wanted to use your water plan on having some water buckets available. I backed out of this deal staying there one night. No way am I going to allow my clients to live with buckets of water and no lights. There was a security guard at the gate (when he was awake). I own several other properties and there are much better places available although it might not be where you want to be. Spend time and look around (a lot). Watch out for the real estate agents as always they are simply out to make a buck.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Juantwo said:
I am sure it is a matter of point of view but judging from the amount of replies, mostly recommending staying away, I would tend to agree with the majority. Speaking from personal experience of living in Pto Chiquito, I would also recommend staying away. I would definitely not be willing to say that it is as safe as any other place in DR. Leaving aside the fact that there is a river, open sky sour would be a better name, that runs close by, the sanitation and garbage situation is not worst in Pto Chiquito than anywhere else in DR, the piles of garbage are pretty much the same height and they sure smell the same as everywhere else in DR.

The first sign of problem is that a part from less than one third of the ex- time-share complex and 2 or 3 houses that are still livable, provided you keep the gates and fences around in good condition. All other houses in that area are in a real sad shape. I visited a few of the ruins and was amazed at how thorough and efficient the looters were. You can?t find one small piece of plumbing, electrical or anything else that is not berried deep in concrete. Not true, you do find lots of garbage, even human defection, but I am sure they were brought in after the original owners ran out.

In real-estate the number one two and three rules are location, location, location. If you are thinking of opening up survival and last-chance self defense school, then I think you found the right location, you will get a lot of opportunity to practice what you teach. For living, I am not sure the location is that great. I am a sound sleeper, I am not afraid of much and I like to think that I can still make the difference between daring and careless. Being woken up two or three nights a week by gun shots (not shots from a distance either, close by) is not what I call a safe neighborhood. The local fauna is most interesting, and I am not talking about the kind that has 4, 6 or 8 legs, the two legged version. The area offers a good assortment of desperates, looters, thieves and all around dangerous people. You would stand a better chance in the jungle.

One other point I find interesting is the false sense of security the gates seem to bring to people. Yes there is a ?Manned Gate? but if you come in later at night you usually have to open the gate yourself, there is no one around. When there is someone there, the person is about 5 foot no inches and about 50 pounds, I am not sure he would have a chance against the roosters that runs free around him, never mind a person that had the intention of going in because he figures he deserves to have your possessions more than you. On the nights I didn?t want to get out to open the gate myself I just came in a bit lower down the hill, just around the Moto-Concho stand and local watering hole. There is no gate there. Not true, there is a gate but I think it is rusted open. I have never seen anyone watching that entrance.

No matter how many people reply and regardless of what they say, seeing is believing. If you can, rent before you buy. I figure that the banks that own those places would be so eager to recuperate the money they lost when the original owners defaulted that I am sure you can interest them in making a bit of money. Their first reaction will be to try to off-load the properties at all costs but if you insist, I am sure you will be bale to come to some sort of arrangements and be able to rent-to-own type deal. Just be careful of what you sign.

sounds like a good place to run anti-terrrorist training ops.

Status
Not open for further replies.