Double Nationality

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
hi people,,

ok..i am an American Born US citizen, and just got my Domincan Citizenship established which means i am a double national or something like that..tengo doble ciudadania..

i already have my Cedula and my Blue Domincan passport and of course my American passport

ok my question is....i'm going to the DR in March and would like to know, since i already have my Domincan Passoport do i still have to have a tourist card/carta de ruta? i dont think so ,since i'm already a Dominican citezen but just want t make sure...

and

when i get back to NYC to JFK on which line should i get on in immigration do i go to the American line or the Domincan line , or do i have the option...

should i travel with both passports just in case,

thanks,,Gimabella

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Use both passports. Dominican when entering DR, no tourist visa since you're a citizen. Use your USA passport when entering the USA in the "citizen" line. Always take both since it's doubtful you can leave DR with only a Dominican passport and no visa to the USA. To avoid the hassle of leaving DR you will show both passports.
Congrats fellow "Dominican"

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
AlaninDR said:
Use both passports. Dominican when entering DR, no tourist visa since you're a citizen. Use your USA passport when entering the USA in the "citizen" line. Always take both since it's doubtful you can leave DR with only a Dominican passport and no visa to the USA. To avoid the hassle of leaving DR you will show both passports.
Congrats fellow "Dominican"
Use your US passport only. Show your Dominican Passport at immigration in the DR to avoid paying tourist visa.

If you use the advice above the US will be a little pissed because you are entering the US without having landed in the DR because they didnt stamp your US passport.

So follow the two passport advice if you are looking for difficulty.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Escott said:
Use your US passport only. Show your Dominican Passport at immigration in the DR to avoid paying tourist visa.

If you use the advice above the US will be a little pissed because you are entering the US without having landed in the DR because they didnt stamp your US passport.

So follow the two passport advice if you are looking for difficulty.
tsk tsk tsk, been there and done that many times, actual experience rules

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Good idea

Good thing that you guys are mentioning this because I was thinking of doing some traveling to Cuba with my DR passport, and coming back to the US with my American passport, but was wondering what were the chances of something happening. IE getting busted by US customs for travel to Kiuba. No I will not bring any booty if that is what you are thinking, Im thinking of getting it there.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Gimabella: What did you have to do to get double citizenship? I want to do that on my next trip to DR. thanks.

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
here is what i did....

Talldrink said:
Gimabella: What did you have to do to get double citizenship? I want to do that on my next trip to DR. thanks.

Domincan Citizen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey everyone, i have noticed few posts about how to become a Domincan citizen,,well here is my experience i hope it helps..

1- i went to the Consulado Domincano in NYC where i live, and got my American Birth certificate translated and legalized for a very ridculous fee of $25.00 and $75.00 = $100..

2- since my paretns are both born Domincan and have Cedula's , i was able to speed up the process.. i went to the JCE in Santo Domingo by Plaza de la banderas , i beleive this is the HQ, i spoke to a young man he gave me the paper work i needed and send me to the " legalizacion unit"
what for, since i laready had this done in NY, but u guys know how these Politicos are..anyways,,i went the next morning it took me about 5 hrs,a nd 600.00 pesos to get this done....then i went back to the JCE and gave him the appliation, my documents legalized twice, my moms cedula # and copies of everything i think aboiut 5 copies of each document and of i went to the beach...

3- i came back the next day, he gave me a paper which i was to bring to the same office that game my mom her Birth Certificate when she was born,,( i didn't go, i had to come back to NY) my mom went and they made me a Domincan legal Birth Certificate ..

4- this was during the week of 11/6-11/14, know im in NY spoke to my mom last week and told me that she had my Domincan Birth certifcate since before December...know when she gets back in January, with my new BCertificate i can go to the JCE office in NYC and get my cedula.

5- ok..
so i guess those of you who want your citizenship, its alot easier to become one then becoming a resident , wait and then apply for citizenship , makes no sence..
i guess soem of u can ue your Husbans/Wife cedula if they are Domincan citizens,,,,and your wedding certificate.........

as to the rest of you, i wouldnt know,
this is just form my experiecne,..
which honeslty went pretty smmothly

here is where i went
Plaza de la Banderas
809-539-5419
exts.2248 or 2385..

Goodluck ..
know im Domincan/American,,double nationality,...

why i did this, its very convenient for school and many other things im not yet aware of,,but i know this step will save me many headaches..and hopefully $$$$$$

if anything u can just PM me

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
Seachange said:
It's not something you just "pick up." You need to be a resident for at least 5 years.

i was able to get my citizenship and skip the residency because my parents were born in the DR and have a cedula, i have never lived in the DR the longest i have been there was for 3 months when i was a child during schoo vacation adn would be in the campo..that was the only thing i had to prove, after i got all my documents set my mom went to the pueblo (Neyba) and was able to get my birth certificate for my cedula...i just found out by calling the JCE office in NYC and the crazy, Domincan Consulate that the first time you apply for a cedula it has to be in DR , but since i left my mom finish the process and came back to NY i have to get the cedula on my next trip to DR of which i heard it's free and it takes a few hours..

tu amiga, Gima

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
Seachange said:
What now are your tax implications?

For instance, will you now owe income tax to BOTH the US and Dominican governments?

i don't know about paying Dominican taxes since i've never lived in DR and have decided to not get the Domincan passport i don't think its worth it, atleast frr know since itss for 2 yrs $105 USD , and for 4 yrs $125 USD, and for 6 yrs 145USD and i already have a PP Americn which i dont htink makes any diference, i rather pay the $10USD a trip for the tourist card...

but i do know i pay a whole bunch if taxes in NY for this crazy US Gov't
txes of which i dont see any of it, since i pay my own Tuition....

ese tGovierno Americano acabara conmigo tarde o temprano..jeje
Gima

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
Gimabella said:
hi people,,

ok..i am an American Born US citizen, and just got my Domincan Citizenship established which means i am a double national or something like that..tengo doble ciudadania..

i already have my Cedula and my Blue Domincan passport and of course my American passport

ok my question is....i'm going to the DR in March and would like to know, since i already have my Domincan Passoport do i still have to have a tourist card/carta de ruta? i dont think so ,since i'm already a Dominican citezen but just want t make sure...

and

when i get back to NYC to JFK on which line should i get on in immigration do i go to the American line or the Domincan line , or do i have the option...

should i travel with both passports just in case,

thanks,,Gimabella

can you tell me how you got dominican passport????my mother is dominican citizen so i want to know how to do it

Leily

Jun 2, 2005
Another question in relation to the same subject

Hi
this is my first post in this forum, it is nice to have found you.
My question is , I'm a Dominican born- Australian citizen, I haven't been back to Sto Dgo. for twelve years and this year is it, i'm going back with my three Australians children and my australian husband
Do my children have dual citinzenship because i keep my dominican citizenship even though i'm now Australian?
And if not would they have to pay for a tourist visa when we arrive, we are only going for six weeks. And what about my husband does he have any legal privileges with inmigration because he is married with a dominican?
Your help would be much appreciated. ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Leily said:
Hi
this is my first post in this forum, it is nice to have found you.
My question is , I'm a Dominican born- Australian citizen, I haven't been back to Sto Dgo. for twelve years and this year is it, i'm going back with my three Australians children and my australian husband
Do my children have dual citinzenship because i keep my dominican citizenship even though i'm now Australian?
And if not would they have to pay for a tourist visa when we arrive, we are only going for six weeks. And what about my husband does he have any legal privileges with inmigration because he is married with a dominican?
Your help would be much appreciated. ;)

Your children are eligible for Dominican citizenship through you, but you will have to apply for this. Your husband is not due Dominican nationality. Your children and husband will have to buy a tourist card when they arrive and pay the additional penalty for staying over 15 days. This does not apply to you as a Dominican citizen.

Leily

Jun 2, 2005
Dolores said:
Your children are eligible for Dominican citizenship through you, but you will have to apply for this. Your husband is not due Dominican nationality. Your children and husband will have to buy a tourist card when they arrive and pay the additional penalty for staying over 15 days. This does not apply to you as a Dominican citizen.

Thank you Dolores for your flash response, now another question, that penalty you mentioned is it calculated by days overstayed?
would i be able to get an idea of how much it could be?
Another thing I dont have a dominican passport , how do i proof my dominican nationality when entering the country so that I would'nt have to pay for the tourist card. My australian passport only states that I was born in San cristobal but does'nt say of what country.
Thanks again

Leily

Jun 2, 2005
I got the answer

I think I found the answer to one of my questions, about how much would I have to pay for my children and husband to over stay their tourist card, but my concern is if our tickets say that we would be staying longer than the 15 days minimum stay, how do I justified that i'll be only paying for 15 days?
I hope inmigration would'nt want to have a look at my ticket or they would?
thanks again!!
sorry to be a pain!!! :cross-eye

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Hello Leily and welcome to your country! You can prove your Dominican citizenship with your Dominican birth certificate if the need arises. Your husband and children will pay RD$300 each for the overstaying. Anything form 15 days to 3 months pays RD$300. Don't be concerned about the return date on your tickets. It's not a big deal and many tourist overstay! Enjoy your trip! Don't forget to bring plenty sun blocker and Mosquito repellent.

Regards,
NotLurking