Best ways to places outside Santiago

miami33172

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 18, 2004
I want to get a hotel room in Santiago. Then I want to travel places like La Vega, Navarrete, San Franciso de Macoris, Jarrabocoa, Mao, and Constanza. Where do I go in Santiago to catch guaguas to get to the places listed in the previous sentence? What is the difference between a publico and a guagua? And lastly, how do I get around Santiago. Are there motoconchos, publicos (guess that is a taxi cab)or guaguas in Santiago to get around the city? Is it safe to walk from one place to another in Santiago? What is the best way to get from Calle de Sol to the Catholic University in Santiago? Is a motoconcho on Santiago really a taxi cab whereas in Cabarete a motoconcho is motor bike?

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
miami33172 said:
I want to get a hotel room in Santiago. Then I want to travel places like La Vega, Navarrete, San Franciso de Macoris, Jarrabocoa, Mao, and Constanza. Where do I go in Santiago to catch guaguas to get to the places listed in the previous sentence? What is the difference between a publico and a guagua? And lastly, how do I get around Santiago. Are there motoconchos, publicos (guess that is a taxi cab)or guaguas in Santiago to get around the city? Is it safe to walk from one place to another in Santiago? What is the best way to get from Calle de Sol to the Catholic University in Santiago? Is a motoconcho on Santiago really a taxi cab whereas in Cabarete a motoconcho is motor bike?

There is a bus from Santiago to Lavega then onto Jarrabocoa 4 times a day.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
miami33172 said:

Your best bet is always Caribe Tours. I believe there is access from the M car. There are lots of publicos in Santiago. I use them when I am there. I enjoy the experience and haven't had a bad experience yet.
To use the guaguas to get to Mao, Ezperanza etc, I believe is on the 30 de Marzo. I might be wrong about that. But what I am sure about is that I use those means of transport to get to all those places whenever I am there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Santiago is the second largest city. There are taxis for in the city travel and their are buses available to go elsewhere. Caribe Tours is a big company and has buses to a number of locations.

La Vega easy to get to, not far from Santiago on the road to Santo domingo. You can take Caribe tours. To get to Jarabacoa, go to La Vega then travel by there by Caribe Tours or guagua.

From La Vega, you can take a publico to San Francisco de Macoris. From there you can take a publico, guagua or bus to get to Nagua.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Access to surrounding towns.

From your hotel you can get a taxi (RD$80 pesos). If you can learn the publico routes, all the better. Presuming, but not sure, you are staying at the Aloja Sol:
1) The best way to the PUCMM is a taxi for $80 pesos. Publicos (cars that run a fixed route for a fixed price) would take too long. HOwever, just incase you want to do it that way: Go to the right as you leave the hotel and turn right at the next corner. cross over three blocks until you come to Calle Vicente Estrella. ( You cross General Cabrera and 16 de Agosto) Vicente Estrella is one way going up the hill to the monument. Look for a "U" car. That will take you to the front of the University.
2) Yes it is pretty safe to walk around town. (Perhaps not at 3 a.m.)

3)The buses to Mao and Monte Cristi can be caught at the traffic circle going out of town to the west. Or you can catch a Transporte Espinal bus or a Caribe Tour bus. For these destination you tell the taxi: : "Caribe Tour en las Colinas" or taake a Ruta "A" p?blico.
4) For Jarabacoa (1 'r') the bus stop is Argentina esquina Estrella Sadhal?. Any taxi can taxi can take you to the Para de La Vega. There is also a parada by the Parque de los Chach?ses, on Restauraci?n at Sabana Larga.
5)You can catch buses to Moca at the corner of Juan Pablo Duarte and Avenida Estrella Sahdal?. Again, "Parada de Moca" will get your taxi thee.

If you PM me with you hotel, perhaps I can help you with the p?blico system

Cordially,

HB

I almost forgot. The Parada for San Francisco de Macor?s is on Pedro Francisco Bon? and Calle Mella. The buses leavefour times a day starting at 8 a.m. You can get to Nagua and S?nchez from there, too.

Last edited: