Moca, Bonao, Santiago...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
What is the difference, if any, in temperature in the summer months. Also, the area above Moca going to Caberete...I think it is called...La Cumbre or Cafecito. I am trying to find a location to live during the summer months that would be more pleasant. I still have not ruled out Constanza or Jarabacoa.

Any suggestions?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago

All three are very warm in the summer.
Bonao is more humid since it sits in one of the rainiest parts of the country. The water table there is also very high, lending to added humidity.

Moca gets more rain than Santiago, less than Bonao. Heat-wise, it is about the same.

Santiago generally enjoys a nice breeze from the east.

The area to the north of Moca, Jamao del Norte, is, indeed, much cooler. The last time I drove that road, I saw several properties up on the top that were for sale.

People are now building to the north of Santiago , in the foothills of the Cordillera Septemtrional. One such project is called, really: "Jacagua Hills".

If it is cool you want take Jarabacoa, just because it is closer to everything. #2 would be up in Jamao, with less service, more distance but cool.

HB :D:D

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Thanks Hillbilly...

You are a walking DR encyclopedia. I really like that area Jamao Del Norte. It is cool and not so far from Moca or Santiago. Yet you can be in Caberate in about 30 to 40 minutes. I was thinking of perhaps building a home there. But yes, there are less services there. Some beautiful homes hidden away up there.

I should check out Jarabacoa again.

Right now I just want to rent a place during the summer that is cooler. My health nosedives once the hot summer sets in and I want to avoid that this year. Friend of mine had the same problem and his doctor told him he would need to move to Constanza and slowly adapt to life below. It worked for him. I have been here four years and every summer I have the same problem.

Jacagua Hills...is that up above Gurabo?

karina

Nov 5, 2003
jarabacoa all the way

I lived 1 year in Jarabacoa, it is gorgeous but also much much cooler than the rest of the country, while still being accessible. Santiago is less than an hour away (40 minutes about) and Sto Domingo is about 1h30, so not that far.

Constanza is even colder, I really enjoyed it there, sleeping with a nice warm blanket! But, Jarabacoa was, I found, prettier and safer, and has better roads to get in and out....

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I would pick San Jose de las Matas.
45 minutes or so out of Santiago in the hills. Quite a bit cooler that SAntiago. A small, clean little town that I love.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Jarabacoa and San Jose....can you guys tell me what I can expect in the way of finding an apartment or small house to rent...how difficult would this be and what would such a rental cost in each of these places.

Thanks.

I would also be willing to house sit someones home during the hot summer months.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Either place is good for what you want

Jarabacoa is closer to Jamao for your property hunting. SAJOMA (our local reference to San Jose de las Matas) is even smaller than Jarabacoa, and doesnt have a golf course or a decent river to swim in...There are smaller places on the road to both places, like La Cuesta that have food and water and lots of tranquility at lesser temps...

And Jacagua Hills is north of .....Jacagua!

If you want I can take you to both places. I have a couple of frineds up there.

HB :D

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Jarabacoa is closer to Jamao for your property hunting. SAJOMA (our local reference to San Jose de las Matas) is even smaller than Jarabacoa, and doesnt have a golf course or a decent river to swim in...There are smaller places on the road to both places, like La Cuesta that have food and water and lots of tranquility at lesser temps...

And Jacagua Hills is north of .....Jacagua!

If you want I can take you to both places. I have a couple of frineds up there.

HB :D

No river to swim in in SAJOMA? What about La Ventana. It's only a few minutes away. Very popular spot. Or if you want a pool, you can go to La Mansion.
Jarabacoa is great. But I love SAJOMA. I lived there for 6 months a while back.