from Santa Domingo to Barahona

cdngrrl

Jan 21, 2005
Can anyone tell me the best way to get from Santa Domingo (airport area) to Barahona? also, the approximate cost associated w/the transporation? i will not have a rental car.

thank you!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A taxi into Santo Domingo

Tell the guy you want to go to the Parada de BArahona. OR--->

I imagine that Metro, Terra Bus, Capital and Caribe Tours all run buses to that area.

Cost will probably be less than15 dollars, but that's a guess.

HB

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
You'll love Barahona, but take LOTS of bugspray!!! Take Caribe Tours, very cheap indeed.

cdngrrl

Jan 21, 2005
Caribe Tours

Do you know if one can get the Caribe Tour bus from the Airport in Santo Domingo? Do they run fairly often and is a reservation needed?

Thank you,
Patricia

QUOTE=trina]You'll love Barahona, but take LOTS of bugspray!!! Take Caribe Tours, very cheap indeed.[/QUOTE]

Daithi

Jun 30, 2003
Barahona is the real Dominican Republic, the pearl of the south!!

You need to get a taxi from the airport to the Caribe Tours station on Ave 27 de Febrero, should cost around RD$600.00. Or if you get a concho to the main road and then a public guagua into Santo Domingo it would cost you RD$30.00.

The Caribe bus to Barahona costs RD$150.00 it takes aound 2 and a half hours.

Daithi

Jun 30, 2003
Oh I forgot to mention that there are only four Caribe buses to Barahona a day. 6.15am 9.45am 1.30am 5.15pm

QUOTE=Daithi]You need to get a taxi from the airport to the Caribe Tours station on Ave 27 de Febrero, should cost around RD$600.00. Or if you get a concho to the main road and then a public guagua into Santo Domingo it would cost you RD$30.00.

The Caribe bus to Barahona costs RD$150.00 it takes aound 2 and a half hours.[/QUOTE]

Nicmac

Mar 30, 2006
Travel to Barahona easter week

Hello,
I'm thinking of renting a car in SD to drive a bit west of Barahona- and stop at Salinas or other nice places along the way. Is it OK to rent a car during semana santa -easter week? or should i just stick to Caribe tours and local buses (i'm worried it will be more difficult to get to beaches/ hotels in certain towns)
Thanks

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Nicmac said:
Hello,
I'm thinking of renting a car in SD to drive a bit west of Barahona- and stop at Salinas or other nice places along the way. Is it OK to rent a car during semana santa -easter week? or should i just stick to Caribe tours and local buses (i'm worried it will be more difficult to get to beaches/ hotels in certain towns)
Thanks

Every bad thing you have heard about driving in the DR is magnified during Semana Santa. There are more cars on the highways than any other time, and probably a higher percentage of drunk drivers. Personally, I always rent a car on my vacations, and feel that some people overplay the risk, but especially if you haven't driven there before, Semana Santa would probably NOT be the time to try it.

Last edited:

Melisa

Mar 6, 2016
Do you know what taxi service is RD 600 to Caribe tours? I have tried reserving ahead and I only get the rate of $40.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Please note that this tread was started in 2005 and at that time the rate was around $ 600RD and the conversion rate was around 30 : 1 if I remember. I have not made the trip recently but the last time I did it was around $ 1200RD and the conversion rate was 44.5 : 1. Cost do tend to increase over time.

The current Caribe Tours rate SD to Barahona is $ 260RD.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Last edited:

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Apollo takes 1000 pesos from Zona Colonial to SDQ, with reservation. The same driver took me privately from SDQ to Caribe for 900.