Where's the nicest place to live in DR?

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
My Dad moved back to Santo Domingo after 35 years or so in Canada. He went back to the same house he grew up in. The first day there in a cab someone reached in the cab and ripped his chain off his neck. Since then his house has been robbed twice. He said he can't even trust family members. The place has gotten worse since he was forced to leave shortly after the war. My Dad has typically Canadian stuff of course, now almost all stolen from robberies. Which were committed while he was sleeping. His favourite thing to do is run, but he can't cause he has Nikes. I would like to move him far away from Santo Domingo, somewhere safe with good people like him, shopping near by, etc, etc.

We don't know where these places might be and need some help from some good people before something bad happens.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It certainly sounds as though he should move out of where he presently is. What does he think about moving? Does he have friends in other parts of the island? What are his interests? How old is he? Does he need regular medical assistance? How is his financial situation? These are just some of the questions that need to be answered in order to make intelligent suggestions.

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
More info

He's in his early 60's, retired welder, has a decent pention, health nut likes to excercise, read, socalize, knows he needs to move but doesn't no where, my brother lives in the "frontier" near Hati and they don't talk much.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Santo Domingo is a large area...

where in Santo Domingo. I am sure there are some areas in Santo Domingo where he would get along fine.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Snuffy said:
where in Santo Domingo. I am sure there are some areas in Santo Domingo where he would get along fine.
My thoughts exactly. He doesn't seem to be living in a particularly nice area. Lots of old retirees in my neighborhood. Some of them past impossible ages.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Pib said:
My thoughts exactly. He doesn't seem to be living in a particularly nice area. Lots of old retirees in my neighborhood. Some of them past impossible ages.

That sounds like a good area for him, Pib, providing there are also young retirees to socialize with. Early 60s is not "past impossible ages". ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Snuffy said:
The lady (or guy) did said that her (or his) father moved to the house HE GREW UP IN, a place he had not been to since before THE CIVIL WAR OF 1965!

Now, let's see. Most areas that existed since the war were the Zona Colonial (that's no brainer), the neighborhoods north of there, the area of Ozama and Villa Duarte was in development, Gazcue, Ciudad Nueva, and the area today unofficially known as Barrio Chino around Avenida Mexico near the Palacio Nacional.

Now, with the exception of Gazcue and the Zona, but much of those areas have gone down the tubes in terms of development and appeal. This guy needs to leave those thieves infested areas of the city and treck over to the more modern and safer sectors. If he wants to live in Santo Domingo, he should consider living in one of the apartment towers which have keen security or in a relatively new residential development in other parts of the Capital.

Santo Domingo is a huge city and every neighborhood is different in ambiance and all other social and economic indicators. Whether you want to live in hell or heaven depends on what part of town you decide to be.

Now, if the guy is simply tired of the big city, he still got 18,000 square miles of countryside setting to choose from.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Go North "Young" Man

irishdomician said:
... I would like to move him far away from Santo Domingo, somewhere safe with good people like him, shopping near by, etc, etc.

We don't know where these places might be and need some help from some good people before something bad happens.

I recommend moving north towards the towns of Nagua, Cabrera or Rio San Juan. Excellent communities, exceptionally low crime rates and stunning vistas. He can run along the roads or along the cow paths for as long as he wants. Check it out.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
If you are moving him away from Santo Domingo...you want to go to Santiago. It is a city but much smaller than Santo Domingo. Safer. Slower moving. Cleaner. blah blah blah. So he gets the city but you get the safety.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Move to Ave. Sarasota area near Parque Mirador. Tons of elderly folks running up and down the streets all day. Safe street, nice people.

If he's living ANYWHERE near the bridge/colonial zone he's gotta move. If he's living on the OTHER SIDE of the bridge near the faro move him as quickly as possible.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Safety Zones

Are you all saying that the Zona Colonial is not safe? Oh those beautiful little streets and houses... looks like Georgetown.. I moved down here from Las Terrenas where I was robbed so often, I finally just took my papers with me and left the house open....... It is very unnerving to be robbed. So what neighborhoods do the board members recommend? Thanks - annie

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
safety

mountainannie said:
Are you all saying that the Zona Colonial is not safe? Oh those beautiful little streets and houses... looks like Georgetown.. I moved down here from Las Terrenas where I was robbed so often, I finally just took my papers with me and left the house open....... It is very unnerving to be robbed. So what neighborhoods do the board members recommend? Thanks - annie

for the most part the Zona Colonial is as safe as gazcue, but near the bridge/or other side of the river, another story,

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
haven't been- but i have heard some wonderful things about Portillo, near las Terrenas. but, guys, Casa de Campo is a great place to live! safe, comfortable, lots to do during the day. it's a great place!

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
Casa de Campo?

amandalivoti said:
haven't .... but, guys, Casa de Campo is a great place to live! safe, comfortable, lots to do during the day. it's a great place!

Are you referring to the resort in La Romana? If so, go to TripAdvisor's website and read the latest reviews on Casa de Campo... there is a report there of a family (tourist) being robbed in one of the villas. A shame!

MeDominican

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
this might be an isolated incident. really. my ex and his family have been living there for ten years without an incident.
they have pretty tight security- but we can't all be perfect.
santo domingo has me freaked out lately. i had my purse snatched twice in a two month period, and one friend of mine, walking down the street, had her sunglasses ripped of her face!!!