Mt. Isabela del Torres

UofStraveller

Jan 24, 2005
My girlfriend and I will be going to POP in February and are interested in hiking up Mt. Isabela del Torres. I know Iguanamama does tours up there but we are interested in possibly going it alone. I am interested in trail information or information on how I could go about doing this.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
UofStraveller said:
My girlfriend and I will be going to POP in February and are interested in hiking up Mt. Isabela del Torres. I know Iguanamama does tours up there but we are interested in possibly going it alone. I am interested in trail information or information on how I could go about doing this.

I don't think you need to take a tour. Just head out there and ask the people at the skylift for instructions. There is a road that takes you up almost all the way, with about a half an hour hike where the car can't go. There is enough to hike when you are within the park. It is a 135,000 square meter park with lots of trails.

Strongly recommend you head out there early in the morning so you reach the top before 10 am, that is before the clouds start to cover the mountain.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Not sure if you can find a reliable source, but try and find out if that Teleferico is actually operating - it never has been when I have visited, so be prepared that your trip may not end with that segment. I hope that lately this is not the case.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Climbing Mount Isabela

Quote from my 'Rough Guide' to the DR:
'There's a well marked path on opposite side of the mountain, starting at the pueblo El Cupey. From POP head towards Sosua to the junction of the Carretera Turistica and turn right. Just beyond the intersection is a marked dirt road leading to the pueblo. A couple of farmers rent horses and guides for the ascent. The Isabela hike is an arduous 4-hour trek one way through a canopy of rainforest, so you'll have to start early. There's also a small system of Taino caves with petroglyphs near the summit, an hour's hike west off the main path. Look for a guide in the town if you want to see them.'
I hope that the recent rains haven't washed away the pueblo and the trail.
Good luck.
Bartolomeo

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It took 2 young healthy male friends of ours 5 hours plus to do it on foot, take plenty of water - they didn't take enough. This was way before all the recent rains, I have no idea of the state of the trail now, but water is still coming down the hill on to the main road near Cofresi so my guess would be it is even muddier further up.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This is all so true. When I went took the Cupey road mentioned above, but it hadn't been raining. Since it has been raining so much, probably the road up will not be driveable, even with a 4W, so then it will take much longer to do it all on foot -- five hours.

That is a hardship trip, especially because I don't think they permit camping on the top. But of course, if the skylift is operational, you could take the skylift down.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Keep an eye out for the promingosa plant (I believe that's the name). Just touching this plant can cause a rash and some other health problems and this plant grows rampant on Mt. Isabel de Torres.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
UofStraveller said:

Check the rainfall between now and then. For good hikers, it is fine when it is dry. We've had unusual amounts of rain. Follow the normal precautions for hiking, just remember, no-one is going to rescue you if you get in trouble.

UofStraveller

Jan 24, 2005
Thanks for all the good advice. I already have 'Rough Guide to DR' which was what sparked my interest in the first place. I have been in contact with Iguanamama and they guide a hike up the mountain using a trail through the forest, not a road. I have heard nothing but good things about Iguanamama. Do they have as good of a reputation as I have heard? It is also good to get some background on the current status of the mountain as that will play a factor into whether we are guided or go it alone.

Thanks again for the good posts!