advice for interview

caro

Sep 24, 2003
hi everyone,

I will like to know if someone on this board are rep for a tour operator because I have a interview this week.I look for some advice can help me for the interview.

thank you

caro

Last edited:

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
caro said:
hi everyone,

I will like to know if someone on this board are rep for a tour operator because I have a interview this week.I look for some advice can help me for the interview.

thank you

caro

It should go the same as any job interviews you have had in your life. You know just show up early, shake their hand. Always look at them in the eye. Ask questions. Look like you are very interested in the job. And so one. Job Interview is a job interview. It does not matter what the job is tour operator, rep, babysitter, housekeeper...etc. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
thank you stallion and ken...

I know all interview can look the same but sometime they can ask more specific question for the position and I really want this job so I just asking to be more the most ready for the interview.

I will let you know are the thing go on ;)

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
Just a guess...

You'll probably get some questions about how you would handle a crisis or how you've handled a crisis situation in the past. It's a typical interview question, and probably applicable in the circumstances. What would you do if a tourist got injured? How would you deal with complaints on a trip?

Other pointers - dress nicely (over-dressing can't really hurt, right? It's better to impress), smile lots, don't smoke beforehand or chew gum during the interview, and make sure you're very tidy (a friend of mine couldn't understand why he didn't get a serving job in a restaurant where I worked, and I later found out that he hadn't shaved. The boss wasn't very impressed with that. You'd think it would be obvious, but he said it didn't even occur to him that anyone would care.)

Best of luck!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I interviewed prospective employees,

I liked getting a follow up letter.Thanking me for my time,enjoyed the interview,any further question,etc.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Criss Colon said:
I liked getting a follow up letter.Thanking me for my time,enjoyed the interview,any further question,etc.
And doing that at the end of the interview is important, too. When I interviewed people I was always impressed when they told me how educational they had found the interview.........I was interviewing in a University, so education was the name of the game.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Firm handshake (not arm wrestling), constant eye contact, and one suggestion I like .....remember everyone's name and use it in the interview when talking.
Break a leg!
TEHAMA

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
hope

First knowing your vision on what you can accomplish as far as long-term before the interview for the company your powers and weakness,and why you should be put in that space before the next guy or girl,because there going to ask,and you better be ready, its just called homework or covering your butt.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
thank everyone for your answer I really appreciate all your advice.

it s a good brainstorming for a interview....it s my second interview in my life because I work at the same place still I have 18 year old ...so after 8 year I don t really remember how is it :eek:

so again I appreciate all your help

caro

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
caro said:
thank everyone for your answer I really appreciate all your advice.

it s a good brainstorming for a interview....it s my second interview in my life because I work at the same place still I have 18 year old ...so after 8 year I don t really remember how is it :eek:

so again I appreciate all your help

caro

Sorry, where is your interview montreal or Puerto Plata?. I am guessing you have a interview with nolitur and you want to be relocated to Puerto Plata.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Follow Up

Criss gave out good advice, follow up.

Just in case, watch out for that Human Resource favorite....

"Where do you see yourself five years from now?"

Have a good answer to that one.

Good Luck,

JD

caro

Sep 24, 2003
stallion said:
Sorry, where is your interview montreal or Puerto Plata?. I am guessing you have a interview with nolitur and you want to be relocated to Puerto Plata.

my interview is tomorrow at transat in montreal

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Learn everything you can about the company!

I would study their web site from top to bottom: http://www.airtransat.com/

It always looks very profesional if you show that you know about the company during the interview. Look at the company profile, where they fly, their customer service, etc.

Bonne Chance! ;)

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Are you looking at a position as rep in hotels or transfer/guide rep?

For transfer/guide rep you need to learn about the country, its history, its different cities, rivers, beach, rhum, sugar cane etc... ;)

caro

Sep 24, 2003
hello everyone

just for tell you I haved my interview this morning and I think I do it very well.so now I am waiting to see if they find me well ....

but I don t really have the good information by my teacher who tell me for the rep job...transat look for student to make a trainning period of 1 month and maybe a job after. when I ask the person if the job depent of how was your trainning job ...she tell me not really because even if you are very good maybe no job will be offert after.

the destination will be for the trainning period one of this one : puerto plata or punta cana or cancun or in cuba ( varadero but not sure).

I don t know if all interview look the same but if other person have one in the futur and like me want to know what kind of question they can ask for a rep position here some:
what do you do if someone ask for a room with balcony and the hotel it s full and he don t have the room he paid for?

what do you do if the group you are responsible at the hotel their plane leave sooner. it s the morning everyone it s ready in the hall of the hotel and 2 person are missing.they are still slepping in their room and you have to leave ?

what do you do if someone have accident and have to go to hospital and
this person only speak french?

so it s some question they ask on the interview.

and again thank for all the advice people give me I am sure it s help me to have a very good interview and feel relax about it ;)

caro

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
One thing I am amazed at, is that Caro even got an interview with Air Transat without any travel/tourism experience!
My first trip to the DR (POP) was on a familiarization trip (fam trip) through the travel agency that I worked for. The tour rep that greeted us in POP had lived there for 2 years and had been with Transat since its inception. The agents from Transat that were on the flight with us and were to be our hosts, had somewhat limited employment time (1-2 years) with Transat (they were all based out of the Toronto office). This was their first trip to the DR as well. Upon returning back to our prospective jobs, 3 of the Transat girls that I had kept in touch with, had by this time fallen in love with sankies and had vowed that they would return to the DR in the form of a tour rep. Not one single one of them (even the manager of the Transat office in Toronto) were qualified for the job, as the hiring was based on years of service and education in the travel industry. They also stipulated fluency in English, French and Spanish as a pre-requisite.
I guess Transat has become more leniant in their hiring practices, and that having prior experience in this field is no longer required?
So with saying that, I hope that your interview was successful and that your dream of being a rep comes true. You certainly have been given an opportunity by being granted an interview, where so many people in the past would have done anything for this.
Good luck,
Marlie

caro

Sep 24, 2003
marliejaneca

sorry but i think you make a big mistake because you say some thing you don t know... :eek:

first I just finish my tourism school today and it s transat calling at my school to have some person because my college have a really good reputation

second what to you know on my background? nothing ....so how can you think I don t have the qualification for the job.

so i don t think i am lucky to have this interview because I have qualification.... not like the woman you talk on your post .

and other information if you want .....no man are under my dream of coming rep in dr!!!!

caro

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
caro said:
marliejaneca

sorry but i think you make a big mistake because you say some thing you don t know... :eek:

first I just finish my tourism school today and it s transat calling at my school to have some person because my college have a really good reputation

second what to you know on my background? nothing ....so how can you think I don t have the qualification for the job.

so i don t think i am lucky to have this interview because I have qualification.... not like the woman you talk on your post .

and other information if you want .....no man are under my dream of coming rep in dr!!!!

caro
It looks like we have ourselves a lilttle cat fight here......Lol
Can I be your promoter? I am on the phone with Don King for tips.

I just wish you good luck and hope you get the job.