Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr. Main Event
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is a good amount of $$ to live in DR monthly

What would you say is a good amount of dollar to live in the DR each month. I am talking about a single person not a couple or family of 3, Just one person solo. Just decent living, not like luxury with maid and chauffer. Just normal day to day living. Thanks

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

What part of the DR?

This topic has been discussed in depth many times.
    Take a look at past threads and then come back and post specific questions.

The "search" button is your friend...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallion
    What would you say is a good amount of dollar to live in the DR each month. I am talking about a single person not a couple or family of 3, Just one person solo. Just decent living, not like luxury with maid and chauffer. Just normal day to day living. Thanks
    There was was a lively discussion on this topic a while back.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36181

Safe to say Opinions varied!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you own your own house and will not be paying rent you can probably get by with 1200us with no problem. It just depends on your needs and wants. My wife and myself live part time in the DR and when we are there we get by on about 800us a month excluding housing and rental car cost. I'm sure some people spend a lot more but to us we just want a simple life when we are there.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayne
    If you own your own house and will not be paying rent you can probably get by with 1200us with no problem. It just depends on your needs and wants. My wife and myself live part time in the DR and when we are there we get by on about 800us a month excluding housing and rental car cost. I'm sure some people spend a lot more but to us we just want a simple life when we are there.
    That's a really big IF wayne! I know a lot of people relocate to the DR and buy immediatly. Some do well, but others certainly regret it. Outside of tourist enclaves, it seems to me that rent is one of the few things in the DR that is still pretty cheap. At Dominican rates, the interest on the $ you would spend on a home will cover it. Why risk locking yourself in to a place, only to discover you like it better in another area, or worse yet, that living in a third world country is not for you?

Most of the advice I've heard from expats, both here on DR1 and from those I know in Puerto Plata, is that it is best to rent for at least a year or 2, make sure you "belong", and become familiar with more than 1 part of the country. Then begin the process of looking for a permenant home.

Also, if you are going to take housing and car out of the equation, the cost for a single person would be only slightly more than half of what a couple would pay.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayne

That is more then it cost me to live as a single here in Miami,Fl.--it runs me about $700 monthly--car ins. included.My studio condo is payed for, as well as my car which is economical--a VW Diesel. I watch my pennies and clip coupons to hold cost down.It works for me. I want to relocate but not sure what country but it will have to be at cheap as I live now--preferably cheaper.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stallion
    The three countries of Panama, Nicaragua and Honduras offer Pensionado programs for foreign retirees--many import Tax breaks are given for cars , household items, medicine,ect. You can import your car,motorcycle, boat--all household items(up to $25K) tax free when you first move there and then, depending on the country, you can import a new Car every 2-3 years, tax free. The DR offers NO such program to Retirees. They have a lot of info on these programs at : XXXXXXXXXXXX Edited by Tim H. Mexico also offers a FM-3 retiree visa.
    Last edited by Timex; 01-29-2005 at 09:00 PM. Reason: No Free Advertisment!

Mr. Main Event
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    What part of the DR?

This topic has been discussed in depth many times.
    Take a look at past threads and then come back and post specific questions.

The "search" button is your friend...
    Jarabacoa. i will not be paying for rent and food. My job will cover that.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

hi stallion

I don t living there much time ( 3 month ) but that it what it s cost me:

appartment in costambar with pool , a/c , water and electricity all the time , hot water , pool , and maid for clean 6 day week , 1 bedroom, cable tv:
    10 000 pesos

don t have car so I take motoconcho, taxi, guagua or I have friend lift....

I do grocery and eat at restaurant too

2 or 3 night out for dancing

I have a great life for me and i could do what I want to do for between 15 000 /20000 pesos month + 10 000 for my appartment

it s was in april up to june
    so I this time in dollar it s was around 550 us or in canadian around 830 $

so maybe now with the money rate you will need a little bit more for a single person.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miamimike
    The three countries of Panama, Nicaragua and Honduras offer Pensionado programs for foreign retirees--many import Tax breaks are given for cars , household items, medicine,ect. You can import your car,motorcycle, boat--all household items(up to $25K) tax free when you first move there and then, depending on the country, you can import a new Car every 2-3 years, tax free. The DR offers NO such program to Retirees. They have a lot of info on these programs at : XXXXXXXXXXXX Edited by Tim H. ]Mexico also offers a FM-3 retiree visa.
    Between Mexico and DR, which country is cheaper to live in if you have USdollars? This question is addressed to those who are familiar with both countries. I used to think that DR was cheaper, but after reading these posts for a long, long time, I am tempted to think that Mexico may be more affordable after all, particularly the interior cities. I am asking, not stating anything one way or the other.

On the other hand, it is easier to obtain permanent residency in the DR than in Mexico, from what I have read, although in Mexico you may renew your FM3 every year, you are also required to demonstrate a steady income or pension from abroad or money in a Mexican bank, which of course requires the FM3 first. It seems to me there are less controls in DR and that society in Mexico is more conservative and traditional. Which may be a good thing also.
    Would those of you, if any, who are familiar with both nations, give us your impressions?
    Last edited by Timex; 01-29-2005 at 09:03 PM. Reason: No Free Advertisment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast