What is a good amount of $$ to live in DR monthly

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
What would you say is a good amount of dollar to live in the DR each month. I am talking about a single person not a couple or family of 3, Just one person solo. Just decent living, not like luxury with maid and chauffer. Just normal day to day living. Thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What part of the DR?

This topic has been discussed in depth many times.
Take a look at past threads and then come back and post specific questions.

The "search" button is your friend...

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
stallion said:
What would you say is a good amount of dollar to live in the DR each month. I am talking about a single person not a couple or family of 3, Just one person solo. Just decent living, not like luxury with maid and chauffer. Just normal day to day living. Thanks

There was was a lively discussion on this topic a while back.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36181

Safe to say Opinions varied!

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
If you own your own house and will not be paying rent you can probably get by with 1200us with no problem. It just depends on your needs and wants. My wife and myself live part time in the DR and when we are there we get by on about 800us a month excluding housing and rental car cost. I'm sure some people spend a lot more but to us we just want a simple life when we are there.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
wayne said:
If you own your own house and will not be paying rent you can probably get by with 1200us with no problem. It just depends on your needs and wants. My wife and myself live part time in the DR and when we are there we get by on about 800us a month excluding housing and rental car cost. I'm sure some people spend a lot more but to us we just want a simple life when we are there.

That's a really big IF wayne! I know a lot of people relocate to the DR and buy immediatly. Some do well, but others certainly regret it. Outside of tourist enclaves, it seems to me that rent is one of the few things in the DR that is still pretty cheap. At Dominican rates, the interest on the $ you would spend on a home will cover it. Why risk locking yourself in to a place, only to discover you like it better in another area, or worse yet, that living in a third world country is not for you?

Most of the advice I've heard from expats, both here on DR1 and from those I know in Puerto Plata, is that it is best to rent for at least a year or 2, make sure you "belong", and become familiar with more than 1 part of the country. Then begin the process of looking for a permenant home.

Also, if you are going to take housing and car out of the equation, the cost for a single person would be only slightly more than half of what a couple would pay.

Miamimike

Jan 16, 2005
wayne said:

That is more then it cost me to live as a single here in Miami,Fl.--it runs me about $700 monthly--car ins. included.My studio condo is payed for, as well as my car which is economical--a VW Diesel. I watch my pennies and clip coupons to hold cost down.It works for me. I want to relocate but not sure what country but it will have to be at cheap as I live now--preferably cheaper.

Miamimike

Jan 16, 2005
stallion said:

The three countries of Panama, Nicaragua and Honduras offer Pensionado programs for foreign retirees--many import Tax breaks are given for cars , household items, medicine,ect. You can import your car,motorcycle, boat--all household items(up to $25K) tax free when you first move there and then, depending on the country, you can import a new Car every 2-3 years, tax free. The DR offers NO such program to Retirees. They have a lot of info on these programs at : XXXXXXXXXXXX Edited by Tim H. Mexico also offers a FM-3 retiree visa.

Last edited by a moderator:

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Robert said:
What part of the DR?

This topic has been discussed in depth many times.
Take a look at past threads and then come back and post specific questions.

The "search" button is your friend...

Jarabacoa. i will not be paying for rent and food. My job will cover that.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
hi stallion

I don t living there much time ( 3 month ) but that it what it s cost me:

appartment in costambar with pool , a/c , water and electricity all the time , hot water , pool , and maid for clean 6 day week , 1 bedroom, cable tv:
10 000 pesos

don t have car so I take motoconcho, taxi, guagua or I have friend lift....

I do grocery and eat at restaurant too

2 or 3 night out for dancing

I have a great life for me and i could do what I want to do for between 15 000 /20000 pesos month + 10 000 for my appartment

it s was in april up to june
so I this time in dollar it s was around 550 us or in canadian around 830 $

so maybe now with the money rate you will need a little bit more for a single person.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Miamimike said:
The three countries of Panama, Nicaragua and Honduras offer Pensionado programs for foreign retirees--many import Tax breaks are given for cars , household items, medicine,ect. You can import your car,motorcycle, boat--all household items(up to $25K) tax free when you first move there and then, depending on the country, you can import a new Car every 2-3 years, tax free. The DR offers NO such program to Retirees. They have a lot of info on these programs at : XXXXXXXXXXXX Edited by Tim H. ]Mexico also offers a FM-3 retiree visa.

Between Mexico and DR, which country is cheaper to live in if you have USdollars? This question is addressed to those who are familiar with both countries. I used to think that DR was cheaper, but after reading these posts for a long, long time, I am tempted to think that Mexico may be more affordable after all, particularly the interior cities. I am asking, not stating anything one way or the other.

On the other hand, it is easier to obtain permanent residency in the DR than in Mexico, from what I have read, although in Mexico you may renew your FM3 every year, you are also required to demonstrate a steady income or pension from abroad or money in a Mexican bank, which of course requires the FM3 first. It seems to me there are less controls in DR and that society in Mexico is more conservative and traditional. Which may be a good thing also.
Would those of you, if any, who are familiar with both nations, give us your impressions?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
caro said:
hi stallion

I don t living there much time ( 3 month ) but that it what it s cost me:

appartment in costambar with pool , a/c , water and electricity all the time , <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=21&k=hot%20water" onmouseover="window.status='hot water'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">hot water</a> , pool , and maid for clean 6 day week , 1 bedroom, <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=21&k=cable%20tv" onmouseover="window.status='cable tv'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">cable tv</a>:
10 000 pesos

don t have car so I take motoconcho, taxi, guagua or I have friend lift....

I do grocery and eat at restaurant too

2 or 3 night out for dancing

I have a great life for me and i could do what I want to do for between 15 000 /20000 pesos month + 10 000 for my appartment

it s was in april up to june
so I this time in dollar it s was around 550 us or in canadian around 830 $

so maybe now with the money rate you will need a little bit more for a single person.

Hi caro,

Thanks for the advice. You know how to budget good. I will not need to pay rent and i won't be paying for food. My work will takecare of that. I am single and will be making $ 35,000 RD per month. I hope I can make good of it.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
stallion said:
Hi caro,

Thanks for the advice. You know how to budget good. I will not need to pay rent and i won't be paying for food. My work will takecare of that. I am single and will be making $ 35,000 RD per month. I hope I can make good of it.

for my part I am sure you could do very well with this money because you don t have to pay appartment and food and for me it s what is take the most money on my budget of 30 000 rd /month.

FarOut

Jul 26, 2004
There are only two expensive factors to watch out for...

and they are the booz and the women over here. They can easily end up to a couple of thousands a day if you like to go out in fancy clubs with a lot of girls around you on your bill!!!

I come easily by with about 30.000 a month, and I have a very nice so called Penthouse in the Zona Colonial wich cost me 12.000 a month including all bills.
I also have a Dominican girlfriend which I spoil with around 5.000 a month and I only go out once or twice a week. Mostly to local places where you can have a nice night out for two for around 300-400 peso. I cook a look for myself but I'm not gready by the food I by and if I dinner out it's mostly a local place.

So if you cut your rent (lets say to about 6.000 a month) and stay alone you could easily do it for 20.000 a month. In your case as you don't have to rent and most of your food will be provided, you can easily enjoy the dominican live and live on 20.000. Good luck anyway.

Computerservice Stefan - Santo Domingo
XXXXXXXXXXXX No Free Advertisment.
Edited by Tim H.

# Hard- & Softwareprobleme (PC/Laptop/Drucker)
# Upgrades & Reparaturen (PC/Laptop/Drucker)
# Internet & Netzwerke (Modem/DSL/Kabel/WiFi,Cat)
# Webdesign

Miamimike

Jan 16, 2005
juancarlos said:
Between Mexico and DR, which country is cheaper to live in if you have USdollars? This question is addressed to those who are familiar with both countries. I used to think that DR was cheaper, but after reading these posts for a long, long time, I am tempted to think that Mexico may be more affordable after all, particularly the interior cities. I am asking, not stating anything one way or the other.

On the other hand, it is easier to obtain permanent residency in the DR than in Mexico, from what I have read, although in Mexico you may renew your FM3 every year, you are also required to demonstrate a steady income or pension from abroad or money in a Mexican bank, which of course requires the FM3 first. It seems to me there are less controls in DR and that society in Mexico is more conservative and traditional. Which may be a good thing also.
Would those of you, if any, who are familiar with both nations, give us your impressions?

My ex is from Guadalajara, Mexico(state of Jalisco)so that the area I am most familiar with. They have approx. 50-60,000 americans living or retired there--most love it. Many recieve their Healthcare thru the National Social Security--mexico's national health care system--cost around $27/monthly. A friend I spoke with from there told me in her complex-I could buy a New 2br. condo for around $20K USD. Food is reasonsable, climate is tremendous. You really should go to both countries and rent for a while-that really is the only way to get a handle on day to day prices. My current LF is from Bogota, Colombia and there are some americans that want to live there--prices aren't bad--Security is ANOTHER story. Not many people wanting to retire there. You should travel around to a few countries in the carribbean, central and south america-only then can you really see the difference and what you want.Good Luck

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Thank you, Mike.
If a new 2bd. condo in Guadalajara, Mexico's second largest city, goes for about US$20k, that is way cheaper than either Sto. Domingo or Santiago, the DR's second largest city! I have been to Mexico a couple of times, visited several cities like Morelia, Puebla, Patzcuaro and Oaxaca which was my favorite. I liked the cool climate, the zocalos or plazas and the well preserved and impressive architecture of those cities. I am going back to Oaxaca in April for a visit. I have yet to visit DR., I hope to drop by Sto. Domingo one day in the near future and take a look around, just out of curiosity. Again, thanks for your valuable info.