small gas station

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
hi everyone just a quick question. anyone know of a website or a place i can find information on opening a small gas station in Santiago. you know things like cheap or used equipment, start up costs and then the legal and environmental laws that come with dealing with gasoline as a business. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
btw

also i would not mind bringing equipment from the US if its cheaper or more convenient i currently reside in NY.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Be prepared for lots of pain! The best person to give you advice is Greg who posts as "Coastal" on the board. He did what you want to do.
I would say he has the #1 gas station in the DR in terms of service and quality.

You have almost no chance, maybe less of getting the permits, getting in the equipment and successfully fighting off the local cartels.

Then again, stranger things have happened...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Robert said:
Be prepared for lots of pain! The best person to give you advice is Greg who posts as "Coastal" on the board. He did what you want to do.
I would say he has the #1 gas station in the DR in terms of service and quality.

You have almost no chance, maybe less of getting the permits, getting in the equipment and successfully fighting off the local cartels.

Then again, stranger things have happened...
D.D. is also another great source of information. IIRC, and boy do I know little about this! you would pretty much have to be affiliated to one of the cartels, either Esso, Isla, Texaco or Shell, else you'll have a gas station and no gas to sell. You can't open a gas station where it strikes your fancy, apparently there is some guidelines about where you can open one, it depends on market size where you are. Take my post with a trainload of salt.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your only chance

Is to align yourself with one of the four, because they control all of the gasoline in the country..
The paperwork would do to print the New York Times Sunday Edition.

Permits will drive you up a wall.

As PIB has stated there are a number of serious limitations: Nearest school? Hospital? Other health facility? etc. etc.

Do talk to D.D. and to Greg. They have a lot to contribute. Talk to the people at Isla or Coastal and see what they are willing to do with you (not for) you..

Good luck

HB :D

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
well i have an idea of where i want to do business its a around a small region between santiago and mao called alto de yaque the property we have set up is pretty much isolated , no schools , no homes and pretty much the nearest gas station is a few Km away.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
speak to greg

how do i get in contact with greg so that maybe he can share some of his advice with me on doin this.

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Hi Joseinoa, I just heard about this thread!

So sorry for the delay. Actually, I had posted before a rough outline of what has to be done to start a gas station and if you check in this thread, you will see the post:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31862&highlight=coastal

Since it sounds like you already have the property, a quick check of the guidelines for the lot will tell you if it meets the minimum requirements in size (2500 square meters min), road frontage (50 meters min), etc. etc. But as it has been mentioned, an independent station isn't really a possibility here.
If you haven't already got the property, you should get the guidelines first so you can know what you are looking for. For your info, the current estimate in use in the Santiago area to purchase the lot and get the permissions is $ 200 usd per meter for a so-so area. So you're looking at roughly $ 500,000 usd minimum for the land and permissons only, then you have to build the station.

You can contact me at coastal@verizon.net.do or coastal.cabarete@gmail.com or by phone at (809) 571-2422;2421.

Hope this helps,

Greg

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
thank you

thanks greg ill get more info on the land. we actually already own the land i dont know if this helps but ill try and get more info, whenever i get the information ill email it to you.