Will they work or not? Some real experiences please....

JohnB

Sep 23, 2004
Help!

The house we have rented in Santo Domingo for our relocation has 220 volts for the airconditioners and 110 for the rest. Our idea was to bring our European electrical appliances (220v) and run then from the 220v circuit for the airconditioners. We are getting conflicting theoretical opinions on whether they would work or not because DR electricity is 60 Hz.

Does anyone have any personal practical experience of this?....has anyone brought European appliances here?..... and do they, or don't they work??

Any and all advice gratefully received....

Thanks.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
good question. I am an electrical engineer but many centuries ago. Things have changed since I graduated.
Yes, most electronic items will work, ex: stereo (Cd player, cassette etc) because everthing is converted to DC anyway inside the units. TV will not work because the broadcasting system is different. We use NTSC and I think you folks have Pal / secam. Fridge and A/C will work. Washing machine should work as well. I am not sure if the 50 - 60 hz will make much of a difference in A/C motors. Make sure you won't overload circuit will all heavy items connected to one relay. Your tOASTER AND microwave should work flawlessly. Now if things do break down due to regular wear and tear, i am not sure if you would be able to get parts easily in DR. European appliances are different that american brands or brands which make equipment for american market. DR uses american standard.
Now if I am incorrect, please list your thoughts.
AZB

JohnB

Sep 23, 2004
AZB said:
good question. I am an electrical engineer but many centuries ago. Things have changed since I graduated.
Yes, most electronic items will work, ex: stereo (Cd player, cassette etc) because everthing is converted to DC anyway inside the units. TV will not work because the broadcasting system is different. We use NTSC and I think you folks have Pal / secam. Fridge and A/C will work. Washing machine should work as well. I am not sure if the 50 - 60 hz will make much of a difference in A/C motors. Make sure you won't overload circuit will all heavy items connected to one relay. Your tOASTER AND microwave should work flawlessly. Now if things do break down due to regular wear and tear, i am not sure if you would be able to get parts easily in DR. European appliances are different that american brands or brands which make equipment for american market. DR uses american standard.
Now if I am incorrect, please list your thoughts.
AZB

Thanks AZB, what about PC's and peripherals? Our HP printers and scanners should work if we change the 220 50-60Hz adapters to 110 60Hz....with the same output which, presumably we can buy there, but what about the box itself and the monitor? We also have a Panasonic telephone fax/answering machine which is 220v 50Hz.....

Any ideas?

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I can help a bit.

We brought our stuff along from the UK. Bring spike / surge protectors from pcworld and plug anything you value into it. Pc's and a lot of electrical equipment like hifi's used to come with a slider switch which will go from 110 to 220. They changed the law in the UK and phased out such devices around a year ago. If you look on the back of your pc you might be lucky enough to have a switchable power supply. If not try asking a local PC dealer / fixer if he'll do you a swap with another machine - it's a two minute job.

Another trick is to fetch along plenty of UK four way extension leads and when you arrive just change the plug on the lead. We can even use our UK table lamps and when the last of the bulbs finally blow we'll just swap them out to 110.

So far the only thing we've broken was a 110 / 220 converter that I used to make toast via inverter when the power was out. - I thought it was the toast burning but alas no.

Do remember that if you have an inverter system and regular power cuts it will be very unusual if the inverter is set up to run 220. - I believe the only way to do this is by pairing the inverters but you will need to check with a techie.

Perhaps it's just easier to buy new? I'm glad I didn't though.

If you knew how they put the power into the 220 sockets you'd probably not bother either. - You will be lucky if you've got a good earth cable.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
hi 'simon+nicky, sorry I missed this post earlier I do this for a living. Number one make sure the data plate says 50 were 60 cycles. If so no problem the windings in the compressor and motor is for either. Voltage is constant and that's called pressure. The only problem that you will have is fluctuation in voltage supply due to your power source. Main concerns are protection in the area of not locking the compressor up and burning the windings. Time delay not locking the compressor, surge protector for an adequate voltage or spike,and properly fused to your unit. ;) ;)