American looking for work in DR

Morenita84

Aug 22, 2004
I'm in the stages of finalizing my decision to come live in DR for a little while. I at least want to live there for 6 months or so, and I'm looking for work.

I've gone through most of the English schools there like Dominico Americano looking for a position, but since I'm here in the U.S. I really can't take the tests that the require and things of that nature.

Does anyone know of any other great ESL schools that pay decent and can be contacted over the internet or by phone? Or any other avenue that I could look into for finding a job there quickly?

I have even looked into positions at the U.S. embassy but it seems like no one is really hiring.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You,
R.D.

seksek15

Sep 30, 2004
looking for work

Hi -- I am also an American looking to move to the sosua/puerto plata area. But before I do that, I want to make sure that I have a job. I am a pharmacy student right now (in my last year) -- so I know a lot about medicine and would love to do something involving medicine down there. However, if it is not possible -- I can work doing anything. I hear that there are a lot of teaching jobs for americans down there....or hotel reps?? I studied spanish in high school and a little in college so I know some -- but if I spent some time down there I know that I could pick it up quickly.
Thanks -- if anybody has any info it would really help me out.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
seksek15 said:
Hi -- I am also an American looking to move to the sosua/puerto plata area. But before I do that, I want to make sure that I have a job. I am a pharmacy student right now (in my last year) -- so I know a lot about medicine and would love to do something involving medicine down there. However, if it is not possible -- I can work doing anything. I hear that there are a lot of teaching jobs for americans down there....or hotel reps?? I studied spanish in high school and a little in college so I know some -- but if I spent some time down there I know that I could pick it up quickly.
Thanks -- if anybody has any info it would really help me out.

Pay here is very low compared to what you can get in the US. And your limited competency in Spanish is likely to be a major problem for you in finding something in the medical field.

You are better off finding a good job in the US, save some money, and then if you still think you want to come here and do whatever is available for whatever they are willing to pay you, you will have a fund you can draw on while you are looking for work.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Jobs

ustelephone said:
My company is hiring. I have sent you a private message.
Im also interested in working in D.R. can you tell me what they are looking for.
Thank you.
p1

seksek15

Sep 30, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions -- the thing is that I have 3 months off between by clinicals -- so I wanted to come to the DR for the 3 months. And then, after I graduate, I have 6 months until I have to start repaying my loans. So my plan was to come to the DR -- but I would like to work while I am down there. Then I will come back to the US and start making the big bucks!! I know what the pay is like down there -- I was just wondering where I can find a job......any job. Maybe a rep?? Does anyone know where I look to find that kind of stuff out? Thanks!

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
seksek15 said:
Thanks for the suggestions -- the thing is that I have 3 months off between by clinicals -- so I wanted to come to the DR for the 3 months. And then, after I graduate, I have 6 months until I have to start repaying my loans. So my plan was to come to the DR -- but I would like to work while I am down there. Then I will come back to the US and start making the big bucks!! I know what the pay is like down there -- I was just wondering where I can find a job......any job. Maybe a rep?? Does anyone know where I look to find that kind of stuff out? Thanks!

If you are looking for rep jobs in the DR, you have to be here to apply. Otherwise apply in your country, for instance you can contact american airlines vacations and ask them if they are hiring. Contact all the airlines in the us and ask for a position as a rep. Good luck.

seksek15

Sep 30, 2004
Thank you very much -- I will contact american airlines and the rest...then when I come down at the end of february -- if I haven't found a job yet...I will start looking there.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
If your looking for a position as an English Teacher and live in/around Santo Domingo, PM me.

bestteam

Apr 12, 2006
If you have experience teaching English to kids or adults and are seriously thinking of coming down to the DR, or better still, you are already here, send your resume to bestteam440@yahoo.com We are constantly hiring to work in schools in the city, small towns, private classes, etc. We are currently receiving resumes and will be replying soon. Try us out.

jsantos

Sep 28, 2007
American looking for a job in Santiago

Hello...I've been searching in numerous websites for a position that can suit me. I'm an accountant. I'm planning on moving within a few months but I'm concerned about the job market. Now I found a bilingual school where my son can attend but I'm worried about finding a good job. Is there a site where I could go to in order to guide me about any job openings other than Aldaba. I know that I can't expect to make in DR what I make here. Anyone has any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks =)

honeybunch

Aug 1, 2007
hello.
i posted in another thread but this one seems to be getting responses. im a canadian thinking of moving to the dr. what kind of work could i get, who do i contact? im so lost with all of this.
I have my early childhood education and teach children in preschool and daycare. i also work with children with dissabilities.
i am really interested in a rep position too! what are the qualifications?

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
hello.
i posted in another thread but this one seems to be getting responses. im a canadian thinking of moving to the dr. what kind of work could i get, who do i contact? im so lost with all of this.
I have my early childhood education and teach children in preschool and daycare. i also work with children with dissabilities.

Better hope that those children's "dissabilities" don't include spelling.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Better hope that those children's "dissabilities" don't include spelling.

Someone wanting to work with the disabled makes a very giving and caring choice.
Why make a big deal about their spelling mistakes??

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
hello.

Unless you are going to be there for a full school year, (starting in August for the teachers usually) an idea may be to get some work tutoring.

In many cases you can make more money tutoring then actually teaching in a school.

You can charge at LEAST 500 pesos an hour for English tutoring. Since you have your ECE I would say you can charge closer to 700-800 maybe more. (I can't really think of many other jobs in DR where you can make that kind of money.) And that is per child. If they have more than 1 child who needs tutoring, or a few kids from the same class get together for group tutoring (which would be up to you to arrange after talking to the parents) you can give discounted rates for a group.

It is really common, especially for the more well-to-do families that have their children in private English schools to have a tutor for their children, to help them with homework and things they need a bit of extra work with.

That way you can make your own schedule as well, which is a plus.

That is just a suggestion. But as I said, if you are not going at the beginning of a school year, and cannot commit to at least 1 full year of teaching, I don't see the point of applying at a school. Wouldn't be fair to the school or the kids.

As well, if this is your first time going to live in the country, or going for more than say 3 months or so...I would say try out something like tutoring, where you have the option to leave when you want.

Anyways...that's one idea ;)

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
In many cases you can make more money tutoring then actually teaching in a school.

You can charge at LEAST 500 pesos an hour for English tutoring. Since you have your ECE I would say you can charge closer to 700-800 maybe more.

I definitely agree that tutoring can be a very profitable option. Like everyone has said here, you really need to have connections and get out there and network, but if you can make it work it is worth it. However, 700-800 seems pretty extreme to me. I have a friend that does private tutoring for the children of one of the best-known families in the country, and even she does not make that much. From what I've seen, 300/hour is about the norm. But then again, I live in Santiago, and wages might be higher in the capital, if you referring to that area.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Actually that was in the POP area.

And you are correct..lol. I apologize. I had my prices wrong, it's been a few years since I was there, so I checked my old records. 500 is what I would make in an afternoon when teaching 2 students at different locations. I would charge 250 per student, the extra 50 pesos because those families did not provide transportation for me, so I raised my price to compensate for that.

So instead of 500 I should be saying 200-300 as a starting out price. I apologize for the error...but as I said, it's been awhile.

Although, there were some very experienced and popular teachers in the area, who had a high demand for their tutoring services and they were getting 400 pesos an hour. But not above that, unless it was a combined rate for more than one student.

Of course it depends on the teachers' education, and the grade level of the children being tutored, and how much help they need.

You can also charge extra for transportation costs depending on how far you have to go, if they do not drop you off and pick you up.

If it's your first time tutoring, and you don't have a large base or demand yet, I would say you could start out around 200...but I would never charge less then that.

honeybunch

Aug 1, 2007
thanks for the info on tutoring. You dont need a teachering degree to tutor? i have my early childhood education, its different then a teaching degree. how would i go about applying for tutoring positions?
WHat about preschool or daycare centers? is there work in there?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
No you don't need a teaching degree. But since your education is related you can use that to your advantage.

And to tutor only, you would not be hired by any school. You would be basically self-employed.

I would recommend making flyer's (with your contact info, qualifications and rates) and talking to the different principals of the English schools in the area to see if they will let you leave flyer's for the kids to take home to their parents.(Bring your resume for this, just in case they have some jobs open up for you). If not, put up flyer's in public areas where families would go, or take their kids, and just wherever you can find places that your allowed to put them up. Supermarkets, banks, Pizza Hut, Burger King, (I say these fast food places, because kids will often have their birthday parties at these places), other restaurants.

These are just ideas, I'm not sure which of those places would actually let you post flyer's. But it's all worth a shot.

On the flyer maybe offer discounts to the first 5 students...or a discount if they book for a certain number of hours....etc. (just an idea ;) )

A lot of the private English schools actually include a pre-school/daycare sort of thing, where they have children for pre-kindergarten, or what have you, as young as 2 and 3. But as far as separate preschool and daycares, I am not familiar with any, so someone else would have to give you info on that. ;)

Hope some of this helps.