Celebrities in DR? no big deal

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Being a celebrity in DR is not the same as being one in USA. When we used to go out with atlanta Braves' player Ron Gant to clubs, the girls would attack him and won't leave him alone for a minute. I remember on spring break, girls made a line to hug and kiss him in a club in panama city beach. Same happened to David justice and others in atlanta bars and clubs.
Now yesterday I was in gold's gym working out and talking to a friend. Then comes a muscular young dominican guy whom I had seen before in the gym. They started talking and later introduced me to him. He looked familia but I wasn't sure who he was. Then after shaking hand I gave my name, he then introduced himself as Manny Remirez. Ummm, name sounded familia so I asked him what he does. His response " Boston red socks".
Now a major baseball league player and no one cared to shake his hand? That was a surprise to me. Everyone knew him yet no one bothered him anywhere in the gym. A few guys talked to him but in the same manner as we talk to everyone else. No one made a fool out of themselves.
Luis Polonia is also in the gym and I have talked to him several times in months but never knew who he was. I knew he would show up in bars with a new cute girl every time so thats why I was interested in talking to him. I never knew he was the most famous player in DR. he even played with yankees. No one cares in DR about baseball players or musical celebrities like we do in USA. Maybe they just respect their privacy.
I have had dinner with a bald head well dressed dominican in grand almirante hotel. It was a thrusday and we were there for the pasta night. My dominican friend was called over by the bald guy who seemed to know my friend very well. We sat down had a nice conversation and had dinner. Then we left, later I saw the poster of the same guy on the wall. He was Ruby perez. No big deal, not a single person bothered him in restaurant so naturally I didn't think anything of him while we had dinner. Same happened with fernandito villalona. He was sitting on the table next to us in a restaurant in santiago and yet no one cared to say even hello to him.
These same artists charge 100 dollars / head in NYC concerts and often people pay 250 dollars in black market to see ferdandito villalona. In DR, they often do free concerts. I remember, tickets were given out for free for FDO Villalona and place was 1/2 empty.
So my point is, dominicans are really laid back when it comes to meeting famous celebrities in DR.
AZB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That is an interesting post, AZB. I know how closely the Dominicans follow the news of their countrymen in the major leagues, but not having been in a position to observe them during their visits here, I had not realized out laid back the Dominicans are in the presence of celebrities. You're right, there would be a mob of hand shakers and autograph seekers in the US.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
When I first moved to Santo Domingo, I was going a lot to Guacara Taina. One night a friend of mine introduced me to a big muscular moreno. I had no idea who he was, so we started chatting and he seemed a bit upset that I didn?t know who he was. He kept calling me over to tell me more about himself and show me his diamond bracelet with 30/30 written on it! I used to work for a tourist magazine back than and had a copy with me and he asked why he wasn?t on the cover. I finally told him to sign the cover and he signed; Sammy Sosa. I would often see him years later in Trio and he would always be nice and say hello.

Singer and bands: I was married to a musician so I often got to mingle with the big boys, once I invited Chichi Peralta to my house for a BBQ and the only girls up his neck were all my foreigner girlfriends, the Dominicans would not bother him.

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
Dominicans are like that with all celebrities. I guess we don't want to bother those people or we don't want to expose ourselves to being ofended by a celebrity that wants to be left alone.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Maybe they are jelous of their fellow dominicans being celebs. So they don't make a big deal of the DR celebs.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
DRshooter said:
Dominicans are like that with all celebrities. I guess we don't want to bother those people or we don't want to expose ourselves to being ofended by a celebrity that wants to be left alone.

That is a considerate approach to take when someone is going about their business in the community. My only experience with a Dominican celebrity was Antony Santos. That was at a concert, and he was absolutely swarmed with admirers seeking an autograph or handshake. I guess the situation was different since he was "at work", and they had all paid a couple of days average wages to see him.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
i think that it has a lot to do with the celebrity's attitude or personality. Some celebrities act like they can't be seen in public without an enterouge, others just go about their business and it's no big deal for them or non-celebrities.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Two of the Dominican celebs I have seen up-close were approached by many Dominican fans at the end of their show, but always respectfully. Both -- Johnny Ventura and Milly -- handled it the same way, with class. They shook hands, chatted nicely with each, signed autographs, even posed for pictures, never rushing the fans.

AZB said:
Being a celebrity in DR is not the same as being one in USA. When we used to go out with atlanta Braves' player Ron Gant to clubs, the girls would attack him and won't leave him alone for a minute. I remember on spring break, girls made a line to hug and kiss him in a club in panama city beach. Same happened to David justice and others in atlanta bars and clubs.
Now yesterday I was in gold's gym working out and talking to a friend. Then comes a muscular young dominican guy whom I had seen before in the gym. They started talking and later introduced me to him. He looked familia but I wasn't sure who he was. Then after shaking hand I gave my name, he then introduced himself as Manny Remirez. Ummm, name sounded familia so I asked him what he does. His response " Boston red socks".
Now a major baseball league player and no one cared to shake his hand? That was a surprise to me. Everyone knew him yet no one bothered him anywhere in the gym. A few guys talked to him but in the same manner as we talk to everyone else. No one made a fool out of themselves.
Luis Polonia is also in the gym and I have talked to him several times in months but never knew who he was. I knew he would show up in bars with a new cute girl every time so thats why I was interested in talking to him. I never knew he was the most famous player in DR. he even played with yankees. No one cares in DR about baseball players or musical celebrities like we do in USA. Maybe they just respect their privacy.
I have had dinner with a bald head well dressed dominican in grand almirante hotel. It was a thrusday and we were there for the pasta night. My dominican friend was called over by the bald guy who seemed to know my friend very well. We sat down had a nice conversation and had dinner. Then we left, later I saw the poster of the same guy on the wall. He was Ruby perez. No big deal, not a single person bothered him in restaurant so naturally I didn't think anything of him while we had dinner. Same happened with fernandito villalona. He was sitting on the table next to us in a restaurant in santiago and yet no one cared to say even hello to him.
These same artists charge 100 dollars / head in NYC concerts and often people pay 250 dollars in black market to see ferdandito villalona. In DR, they often do free concerts. I remember, tickets were given out for free for FDO Villalona and place was 1/2 empty.
So my point is, dominicans are really laid back when it comes to meeting famous celebrities in DR.
AZB

What kind of celebrity are you AZB??? Because whenever I am with you we are followed by your legions of Beautiful young Santiaguero wives to be!!! I want to grow up and be just like you ;)
Badpiece

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
For some is used to be I want to be like Mike, but I guess for some It's I want to be like AZB. I guess you guys are the kings of Santiago to have all those pretty girls following you guys around. Let me in on the secret guys.

stallion said:
For some is used to be I want to be like Mike, but I guess for some It's I want to be like AZB. I guess you guys are the kings of Santiago to have all those pretty girls following you guys around. Let me in on the secret guys.

My secret is easy, I stay close to my Pakistani brother from another mother and get the overflow off his table :) ;)
Badpiece

See ya Thursday AZB

Pingu

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 20, 2005
AZB,

You amaze me. You say you were in El Grand Almirante Hotel and there were these "celebrities" sitting around, yet no one went up to them. DUH!!!!

You were in a classy place inhabited by two of the biggest chopos in the history of the country. Both of them probably sniffed half the Dominican Cocaine supply in the 80's. The Bald prick who you mentioned is the tackiest person in this country. Just ask his neighbors in the building he owns a Penthouse in how much of a chopo this guy is. And you wonder why no one in the place said Hi to them?

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
the reason is that US has too many chicken heads,,,, dominican girls after concert are the ones that go crazy for artists ('cause they want some action) but other than that i think dominicans are more calm when it comes to celebs.

AZB,
you're out of touched with famous dominicans?
Don't know baseball or merengue dominicans by face? mannn...
Better start watching baseball and music shows and going to concerts.. :classic: but then
again,, that's not your thing.

Last edited:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz are my two most favorite baseball players!!! :classic:

mubb4p.jpg

Pingu

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 20, 2005
On Manny...

I've met Manny a few times. He's definitely not a Chopo. A humble and filthy rich Dominican who knows exactly where he came from and tries not to attract attention to himself. Although its difficult for him because he's a Dom-York Pretty boy with braids and $$$$$$$. But he doesn't get this attention because he's flashy, come on, he's one of the great players in the game.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The main reason why Dominicans don't go wild for celebrities is that they don't want to be called "Lava Sacos"...

Sep 19, 2005
manny should stay out of the gym and work on his fielding

I make joke azb!!

but seriously I like it that a celeb can fit in and id hate to be the jerk that runs up to him and makes a scene when things are going so good for him.....it is amazing when you meet these people how much smaller in life they are.
Manny seems likie a really laid back guy....I wish him the best....even though he plays for the enemy( I am a yankee fan)...

bob

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
laurapasinifan said:
manny should stay out of the gym and work on his fielding

I make joke azb!!

but seriously I like it that a celeb can fit in and id hate to be the jerk that runs up to him and makes a scene when things are going so good for him.....it is amazing when you meet these people how much smaller in life they are.
Manny seems likie a really laid back guy....I wish him the best....even though he plays for the enemy( I am a yankee fan)...

bob

Good morning Bob :)

Your a Yankee fan? I'm a Red Sox fan! ;)

You are probably the nicest and kindest Yankee fan I have ever met. lol

Take care.

Sep 19, 2005
because it is not life or death...it is just baseball.....when they win I win no money, when they lose I lose no money.....but I always WANT my team to win......and thats where it ends....I actually rooted for the SOX to win the year they did, because I had the feeling, "hey let them win one, get the monkey off their back and maybe the red sock fans will lighten up a little"

hopefully it works......

if you had a daughter who came in second in the miss universe paegent

would you berate her?

no you would be THRILLED for your self and her....you would look at it like a HUGE victory...second out of all the countries!......not damm she didnt win!

same goes for the yanks in my book....hey they did good they were in the playoffs

bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Dominicans are easy going.
When I met "El Prodigio" I didn't know who he really was until I saw his face plastered all over. He was cool and his band members were real cool. People in the US are very star-struck because we're raised to admire and aspire to be entertainers and athletes, so I guess they are our heroes. Not scholars and educators. We fantasize being the next Jordan, Ramirez, Jackson:nervous:, Hope, etc. How are dominicans raised to admire/aspire?