bUILDING A HOUSE IN THE DR

Drgirl

Oct 30, 2002
Im interested in building a house in the Dr,but I was just wondering on the costs of the blocks, cement, and barilla. If anyone knows approx costs for these materials needed to build there. It would be greatly appreciated. thanx

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Drgirl said:
Im interested in building a house in the Dr,but I was just wondering on the costs of the blocks, cement, and barilla. If anyone knows approx costs for these materials needed to build there. It would be greatly appreciated. thanx

What size house?

Drgirl

Oct 30, 2002
Jimmydr said:
I paid 45 cents per each 6 inch block. I bought 2,000 of them to build a wall.

How much was each block in pesos, and how much is a bag of cement in pesos. thanks

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I recently did some work in one of the barrios here and paid 140 pesos per bag of cement. Blocks are about 16 pesos each. I did not use rebar.

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
building.

Hi Drgirl, I have a construction comany and can help if you give me the following information:

1.Which city will you build in.
2.What size will this house be.
3.What quality and type of materiales will you use for a)floors, doors, windows, kitchen cabinets and fixtures.

P.S. please let me know if this will be a one floor or two home.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm currently building a house and these are the prices I've been paying:
- Blocks - 1500 pesos per hundred (8 inches)
- Varilla (rebar) - 1500 (quintal) or 35000 per Atado (Not sure how much an Atado equals, but I do know that is cheaper to buy this way)
- Cement - 130 per bag
- Sand - 4500 per truck (1 truck = 13 m2)
- Labor - 300 per day

This is in Cotui, so these prices will be slightly different from where you will be building.

Hope this helps.

Drgirl

Oct 30, 2002
thepiper said:
Hi Drgirl, I have a construction comany and can help if you give me the following information:

1.Which city will you build in.
2.What size will this house be.
3.What quality and type of materiales will you use for a)floors, doors, windows, kitchen cabinets and fixtures.

P.S. please let me know if this will be a one floor or two home.

I am looking to make a house in Las Matas De Farfan
It would be 1 floor standard size with 3 bedrroms. just standard floors and fixtures and cabinets. Its just going to be a basic house.

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
Drgirl said:
I am looking to make a house in Las Matas De Farfan
It would be 1 floor standard size with 3 bedrroms. just standard floors and fixtures and cabinets. Its just going to be a basic house.

Ok I'll work on the basis that this house will be 200 square meters which is about 2153 square feet of construction area . I must admit I never been to Las matas de Farfan but I believe they are in san juan close to the southern border. Also I'll take into account that you already have the lot where you will construct.

You can today with a little negociation buy these items. with transport for about 30 miles. Rebar(varilla)$1125.00 (quintal) a atado of 3/8" x 20' rebar
is about 22.259 quintales. The price should not vary from quintal to atado if you are putchasing the same amount. Example 223 quintales and 10 atados should cost the same. so be carefull can they can stick you with a higher price while you buy the atado. cement has two prices cibao about 135. and titan or colon 125. thats for the matas de farfan since they are much nearer to you then cibao. blocks can vary quite a bit. Make sure you buy name brand OCHOA, HOYO DE LIMA, ETC. the small block plants are not recomended. Unless you don't care about your home. But if know someone that has constructed using a block from a small plant has had five years free of problems go ahead and use them. 6" 13.30 , 8" 16.05.

Now all that said I'll give you the lowdown. You should be able to build your home for about $15,000.00 a square meter. That's if use both an arquitect and ingeneer. If you do not you can take off about 15%. Also I did not factor in the lowest prices for floors etc etc.

I will end with a bit of advise. Try to use an engineer for the construction. A lot of us make the mistake of using a "maestro" that, can lead to a lot of problems down the road. And no matter who you go with, make sure you are here buying, and accounting for all the materiales and wages, because my friend, that is what really kills you.

I hope this will help you and your family. Good luck !!!!!!!!!

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
thepiper said:
You should be able to build your home for about $15,000.00 a square meter.

that's about $500 USD. a 200 square meters house = $100.000 USD + the lot. mucho dinero! ;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Hi,that Price Seems Out Of Hand For What Your Asking For.brand New 1800 Sf Home In Fl, 1/3 Acre 3bd,21/2 Ba,2cg,all Tile Inside. Move In Ready,full Landscaping With Screened In Pool On Paved Road 1mile From Beach For 135,000 All Day Long.so With Dr Costs I Wont Be Moving There Any Time Soon If Them Prices Are Right.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
on my first trip to boca chica, about 10 months ago, i met a guy from NY who was building a 4000 square feet mansion and he said costs were about $200 USD/square feet. back then the paso was around 45-50.

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
on my first trip to boca chica, about 10 months ago, i met a guy from NY who was building a 4000 square feet mansion and he said costs were about $200 USD/square feet. back then the paso was around 45-50.
01-28-2005 11:17 PM

4000 square feet is a big house but not a mansion. And the cost of building here in D.R has a lot to do with the price of the american dolar but not all.
Wages have gone up. So in July you would have some making RD$450 at the exchange rate of 45 that would be about 10 dolars.Now do you think he will work for RD$300? no actually he is making RD$500 at the exchange rate of 30 that about US$16.67. That is about a 11% increase in pesos but a 60% increase in dolars.

As to the cost of building in D.R being more expensive then Fl. this is true. The use of wood and plaster makes building quicker and cheaper..A 2500 square foot home can be built after all permits in FL. in about 35 days this just is not possoble with D.R stlye of building. Also you have seen the damage a hurricane can do to Florida homes. That's why Domicans, if they can, build their roofs of rebar reinforced cement(a la Iraq bunker). It is more expensive, it is hotter in the hot days of D.R. and much more costly to maintain but it will kick *** and take names in an hurricane. This means you invest more from the ground up because your structure will be carrying a much heavier load. .

Hey, you can build cheaper if you want I wont stop you. But if you ask me for advice I will always give the best I can with the little knowledge I posses.

"Now all that said I'll give you the lowdown. You should be able to build your home for about $15,000.00 a square meter. That's if use both an arquitect and ingeneer. If you do not you can take off about 15%. Also I did not factor in the lowest prices for floors etc etc."

That would make my estimate $12,750.00 pesos and that since I took into account that she had allready paid for the lot has the cost of land in it. I should have said $15,000.00 with lot sorry my mistake.

When ever one of my freinds or family members ask me to take a look at a home they are considering for purchase I ask for complete plans of the home. I do this because I know a high percentage of homes are built without these in D.R. my advice to DRgirl was given with the presuption that she would not move herfamilyhome of uncertain worthyness, as you all know we had an earthquake a couple of years back. People thought those tall buildings in Santiago would all fall, but they didn't. The reason for this is that comercial builders like myself must meet requirement's that a person building their private home does not. Why you ask .Because when we sell 90% of these homes are financed by a bank. The bank does their homework before lending.
And I can tell you that a correctly built home can get about RD$9,000.00 per square foot of financing.

A home being built in D.R. with everything "de primera" as we say in D.R. at a scale of 4000 ft2 should, in boca chica,be a little more expensive to build than US$200 per square foot.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
hi piper,i must be missing somthing about homes in dr ? I'm sure the foundation is much like here in Florida. are the load bearing walls a solid pour in the dr? If so that could account for more expense. What does the roofing structure consist of minus to Rebar? Thanks ;)

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
easygoin said:
hi piper,i must be missing somthing about homes in dr ? I'm sure the foundation is much like here in Florida. are the load bearing walls a solid pour in the dr? If so that could account for more expense. What does the roofing structure consist of minus to Rebar? Thanks ;)

It is about the same as foundation but only about 20cm thick this creates a greater amount of stress for the rest of structure. So your walls also must be stronger.

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
easygoin said:
so the walls are solid? And what type of material do they use for the walls?

Sorry I did not make my self clear. The roof is solid thus making the walls handle more wait. The wall consist of cement blocks and rebar. These are reinforced by rebar and poured concrete columns(post) for support.

So if you were to make a two story home in D.R. the floor between them is also rebar reinforced concrete making for a very strong but heavy and costly structure when compared to something done in the States. You will never find for example, in a home in Santiago for instance, wooden stairs. That would not efect the home in any way(negativly) but no one will have it.

Floridas inexpensive housing is about to end so if you can invest now. My sister lives in brevard county built a 2600 square foor home in 2003 for 175,000. it's worth 315,000. as of Friday. and that is not one of the hottest counties.