Jan 1, 2002
What is a drum kit?

qA Set of Drums?
A D0ominican merengue drum in kit form?

Help me out a bit..
HB

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
A Drum kit means a set of drums, like you would see in a typical rock band. Usually consists of a Bass Drum with the foot pedal, a couple of floor tom-toms, a snare drum, a high hat (the two cymbols that come together with another foot pedal) and a couple of cymbols to hit (a crash and a ride). The "Kit" is the whole sheebang.

Last edited:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Hillbilly said:
qA Set of Drums?

Help me out a bit..
HB

Drum kit generally refers to a set of drums including one or more snares, a tom, bass, and one or more high-hat cymbols. Like you would see in a rock band.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Naufrago,

I swear I didn't copy you! looks like we were posting the same thing at the same time.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
It's cool dude, great minds....

Buzzard, Where in the DR are you located? In SD there are a few music stores on 30 de Marzo, also check the classified adds, of course.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Drum Kit Responses

First off, thanks so very much for the responses (both the query aa well as the two responses). The descriptions given, while differing in some small details, were, in the main, right on.
As to my location, I'm in Costambar. Up until last October, I was able to avail myself of a drum set at the The Village Club, in Cabarete, were I played. Unfortunately, the club closed. I'm trying to either buy that kit, or something similar. While jazz is a scarce commodity in most areas, it is particularly rare in the DR. My devotion to that style of music is measured by my many trips from Costambar to Cabarete and back; a journey not lightly undertaken, as anyone who has made that trip at night can confirm. I can resume said playing in Cabarete, but first must have a drum set to play on!
Thanks again for all your interest and help.
Buzzard

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Note to HB

Hillbilly said:
qA Set of Drums?

Help me out a bit..
HB

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: HB, you're a stich! I assume you know that the basic merengue beat is supplied by the tambura, which resembles nothing as much as a large wooden beer keg, turned on its side, over which is stretched animal skins at both ends. I can just imagine buying the piece-parts: one wooden tub, two goat skins and three yards of cord!!!!!!

kevin11

Jan 27, 2005
good thread for the musician types - I plan on bringing my Marshall 100 watt head and 4 x12 guitar setup down with me... its a tower of power...lol

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And I forgot to ask if it referred to

Brake drum kits.

Oh well. Dude, that's "TAMBORA" and it takes a heck of a lot more than three yards of good manila rope!! Actually they prefer nail kegs, although some will use 30 pound oil cans for the tourists....."Primera, segunda, and pambichao!!"

Now to your problem. I shall make a few inquiries around here and see. Fernando Giraldez is the exclusive Yamaha distributor, but he drives a huge SUV so I can imagine his prices are kinda high...but I'll check the classifieds for you and ask a few buddies...Maybe a note to MrMike can help you....he plays a fine guitar...

And FYI Tuesdays are Jazz nites at Palermo Bar & Sandwich ...

HB :D:D

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
If you don't have any luck finding what you need up north and a trip to SD is required, heres a place to look at:

MP (Music Padilla) in Bella Vista Mall.
Tel. 225-0885 / 225-0886
Email: music.padilla@verizon.net.do

Cheers,
bok

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Brake drum kits.

Oh well. Dude, that's "TAMBORA" and it takes a heck of a lot more than three yards of good manila rope!! HB :D:D

I was looking at a couple of Tamboras today and I noticed that they used about three yards of cord (give or take). I hate to contradict HB, but maybe there are some different designs out there using differing amounts of cord. :nervous:

Pukie

Oct 28, 2004
kevin11 said:
good thread for the musician types - I plan on bringing my Marshall 100 watt head and 4 x12 guitar setup down with me... its a tower of power...lol
:cool:

Yep, that'll do it for merengue - you may need to add a Tube Screamer, for good measure.
Oh! and a guitar as well. :)

Luke

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Buzzard said:
If anyone knows where I could buy a drum kit (preferably used), please PM me.
Thanks,
Buzzard

Check out in the Yamaha outboard Marine dealership. Its in a street perpendicular to 27 febrero, right next to the gas station thats between Abraham Lincoln and Tiradentes. Near supermercado nacional.
They have Yamaha Drum sets and guitars among other instruments

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Thanks to all

who responded to my plea! Well, maybe everyone but HB ;) ;)

DR1 RULES!!!! Via a member's PM I was able to buy a great kit.

In fact, I'm going to be playing it tonight (Sat) at Miro's in Cabarete.

Again, thanks to all,
Buzzard

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
check "drums" music school in santiago, I saw they were selling a used "Tama" kit the other day for about 1,000 US with all the hardware, looked like decent quality but I'm not an expert, looked like Zildjian cymbals too but I didn't look too close since I'm not a drummer (guitarist) also some new kits but I didn't get a price (they have a consignment deal for Yamaha gear) the phone # is 809-581-3741. Ask for Pablo Nunez, he's one of the best jazz-trained drummers in the country and a great guy. (don't think he speaka too gooda the english though)