Technical schools

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Was wondering if you had to go to technical school to work on major appliances or air conditioning and refrigeration, or is it just self tought. And if you own a business there can you make a decent living doing work for say nightclubs, restaurants, hotels, large homes with central air conditioning and other businesses or do most of the people do the work themselves.thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are such schools

Politecnico Loyola in San Cristobal is perhaaps the most famous, but there are classes in these fields at INFOTEP, which has locations in several major cities, as well as IPISA, a politech in Santiago. Many so-called "technicians" are self-taught, or learned by doing. They are what we call "ponchadores"...

Major establishments usually have maintenence staff trained in these fields.There are almost two full pages of air conditioning related services in the Santiago phone book.

HB :D

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
HB, schools there are probably two or four -year programs. most places here have people on board also pretty much general maintenance and the more technical stuff they outsource to companies. Here there are a lot of rules and regulations and requirements to own a Business in my field, and finding qualified people it's not easy. Also doing a lot of commercial refrigeration so many more refrigerants now due to the ozone, theres so much more that you need to know.so I try to attend as many seminars that I can with my workers. Here it's a very profitable business because people are willing to pay but you got to be honest and give good service to have repeat business that's the key. So I guess I'm not getting rich in the DR( by income anyway) Thanks for your time. ;) ;) ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IMO: In any endeavor, the cream rises to the top

If you get a few jobs, do good work, you'll get a rep and then the powers that be will be sure you continue to do more and more.

We'll talk about this.

HB :D