Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Robbery at gunpoint

On Friday MORNING some people I know were robbed at gunpoint in their house just outside Cabarete.

They are retired and have lived here for 5 years and take all the usual security precautions, bars on windows, dog etc. and a watchyman armed with a pump action shotgun.

So what happened...
    The watchyman finished his night shift at 6 AM as usual, and put the shotgun away in a locked cabinet inside a locked pool house.

The 60 year old lady of the house let the German Shepherd dog out at 7 AM and put the coffee on. The husband was still in bed.

A few minutes later she went to retrieve the shotgun from the pool house to place it inside the main house as usual.

As she approached the pool house, she was attacked by 2 masked men armed with machetes.

Machetes were held to her throat whilst they demanded the keys to the pool house and shotgun cabinet. She was too shocked and traumatised to scream or shout a warning to her husband.

Naturally she complied and the masked men now had a loaded shotgun which they held to her head.

They then demanded the keys to the safe. The safe was located in another building whilst the keys were in the main house.

So at gunpoint she retrieved the keys from the main house, still maintaining an unwilling silence as she figured that her husband would take action against the armed robbers should he realise what was taking place.

She was then marched to the other building with a gun at her head and a machete at her throat where she opened the safe as requested.

After removing the contents the armed men tied her up and made their escape.

The husband only discovered what had happened a few minutes later when he realised he hadn't heard his wife for a while.

ALL THIS TOOK PLACE IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!!!!

They are obviously both now absolutely freaked by what has happened to the extent that they may leave the DR and we now have another weapon in the hands of the bad guys.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=gjsuk]On Friday MORNING some people I know were robbed at gunpoint in their house just outside Cabarete.

whereas these nice people may be tramatized by this unfortunate incident, i am sure that in the us, canada, germany, england and many other countries, things just like this happened a few hundred if not thousand times on the same day. the point being, that leaving the dr is not going to eliminate the possibility of a crime. the dr is in fact one of the safest places to live...as long as you take the proper precations. my sympathies to these to this woman as i am sure she is shaken greatly from this ordeal.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems that the criminals had inside knowledge, so anyone employed by these people could have been involved. For real estate in the US, it's location, location, location. In the DR, it's security, security, security. What a terrible thing to happen to innocent people who now must re-evaluate their lives. - D

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

That is really terrible....an i certainly empathise with them...as i have been mugged 3 times (twice in boston...first time at gunpoint and pistol whipped)....and my appartment here in jersey city has been robbed a few times.

soooooooooo it can happen anywhere. My mom lives in a quaint New England town....and her neighbors house has been robbed a couple of times (once on xmas eve and they took off with all the presents).

A whole family was slaughtered not to far from where i live now in JC a couple of weeks ago.

I was working in the WTC on 9/11 and witnessed the attacks first hand. (and i still havent moved and i still work in lower manhattan)

IT sounds like they have to coordinate better with the security guard. OR...when she goes to retrieve the gun she should do so with the dog (hopefully they have a BIG dog.) THey dont have to live in fear...just devise a better plan of security.

Again...sorry about their story....but it doesnt sound like a reason to move. Robberies are going to happen anywhere....but especialy where you have well to do people living in close proximity to the very poor.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=rubi92fm, the point dr is in fact one of the safest places to live...as long as you take the proper precations.[/QUOTE]

I placed the post in the "Living" thread as an information post only. I made no specualtion as to the whys or wherefores.

If I wanted to make comparisons against other countries I would probably have posted in the DR debates forum.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the "taking of proper precautions" as you clearly missed the 2nd paragraph of my post.

I look forward to what hearing what you have to say.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Always happens to the nice people

Just a terrible story to read, thank God nobody was hurt. Would love to read a post of an arrest.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Watchman did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W
    It seems that the criminals had inside knowledge, so anyone employed by these people could have been involved. For real estate in the US, it's location, location, location. In the DR, it's security, security, security. What a terrible thing to happen to innocent people who now must re-evaluate their lives. - D
    I hope he was the 1st. one the cops picked up to "interrogate" then move on to ex employees, especially the ones who have left recently or were fired. Then the present employees. For sure someone on the inside is involved in one way or another. Hope they find them and do "proper" justice.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=gjsuk][QUOTE=rubi92fm, the point dr is in fact one of the safest places to live...as long as you take the proper precations.[/QUOTE]

Good response!!!

In this forum we're "opinions trigger happy" some people believe that what is "important" is to post a barrage of opinions in total disregard of what has been said.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Providing this kind of information is one of the most valuable things that these forums can do. We all have to make our own lifestyle decisions, but being ignorant can be dangerous. Personally, I don't want to have to keep a gun or a big dog in order to be safe, so I choose to live in a gated community. A real estate agent will be happy to sell you a house anywhere. There is evil and violence everywhere, but the lack of police patrol, the proximity of grinding poverty and the obvious wealth and vulnerability of most foreigners makes for it's own form of danger. I hope this kind of info continues to be provided. - D

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy
    I hope he was the 1st. one the cops picked up to "interrogate" then move on to ex employees, especially the ones who have left recently or were fired. Then the present employees. For sure someone on the inside is involved in one way or another. Hope they find them and do "proper" justice.

Yep, it was most likely the watchman. He sat there all night evey night getting paid pennies and had plenty of time to think. He formulated an idea to make some real money...then he got some friends to help him. The theives knew everything. They knew the couples routine. I'll bet the wife went out about the same time everyday to get the shotgun from the poolhouse. They knew the lay of the house and about the safe. They had it all planned out and needed help from the inside to be so efficient.

I just wonder what happened to the German shepard. Maybe I mised that part?

Larry

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast