Robbery at gunpoint

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
On Friday MORNING some people I know were robbed at gunpoint in their house just outside Cabarete.

They are retired and have lived here for 5 years and take all the usual security precautions, bars on windows, dog etc. and a watchyman armed with a pump action shotgun.

So what happened...
The watchyman finished his night shift at 6 AM as usual, and put the shotgun away in a locked cabinet inside a locked pool house.

The 60 year old lady of the house let the German Shepherd dog out at 7 AM and put the coffee on. The husband was still in bed.

A few minutes later she went to retrieve the shotgun from the pool house to place it inside the main house as usual.

As she approached the pool house, she was attacked by 2 masked men armed with machetes.

Machetes were held to her throat whilst they demanded the keys to the pool house and shotgun cabinet. She was too shocked and traumatised to scream or shout a warning to her husband.

Naturally she complied and the masked men now had a loaded shotgun which they held to her head.

They then demanded the keys to the safe. The safe was located in another building whilst the keys were in the main house.

So at gunpoint she retrieved the keys from the main house, still maintaining an unwilling silence as she figured that her husband would take action against the armed robbers should he realise what was taking place.

She was then marched to the other building with a gun at her head and a machete at her throat where she opened the safe as requested.

After removing the contents the armed men tied her up and made their escape.

The husband only discovered what had happened a few minutes later when he realised he hadn't heard his wife for a while.

ALL THIS TOOK PLACE IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!!!!

They are obviously both now absolutely freaked by what has happened to the extent that they may leave the DR and we now have another weapon in the hands of the bad guys.

rubi92fm

Dec 26, 2004
gjsuk said:
On Friday MORNING some people I know were robbed at gunpoint in their house just outside Cabarete.

whereas these nice people may be tramatized by this unfortunate incident, i am sure that in the us, canada, germany, england and many other countries, things just like this happened a few hundred if not thousand times on the same day. the point being, that leaving the dr is not going to eliminate the possibility of a crime. the dr is in fact one of the safest places to live...as long as you take the proper precations. my sympathies to these to this woman as i am sure she is shaken greatly from this ordeal.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
It seems that the criminals had inside knowledge, so anyone employed by these people could have been involved. For real estate in the US, it's location, location, location. In the DR, it's security, security, security. What a terrible thing to happen to innocent people who now must re-evaluate their lives. - D

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
That is really terrible....an i certainly empathise with them...as i have been mugged 3 times (twice in boston...first time at gunpoint and pistol whipped)....and my appartment here in jersey city has been robbed a few times.

soooooooooo it can happen anywhere. My mom lives in a quaint New England town....and her neighbors house has been robbed a couple of times (once on xmas eve and they took off with all the presents).

A whole family was slaughtered not to far from where i live now in JC a couple of weeks ago.

I was working in the WTC on 9/11 and witnessed the attacks first hand. (and i still havent moved and i still work in lower manhattan)

IT sounds like they have to coordinate better with the security guard. OR...when she goes to retrieve the gun she should do so with the dog (hopefully they have a BIG dog.) THey dont have to live in fear...just devise a better plan of security.

Again...sorry about their story....but it doesnt sound like a reason to move. Robberies are going to happen anywhere....but especialy where you have well to do people living in close proximity to the very poor.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
rubi92fm said:
I placed the post in the "Living" thread as an information post only. I made no specualtion as to the whys or wherefores.

If I wanted to make comparisons against other countries I would probably have posted in the DR debates forum.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the "taking of proper precautions" as you clearly missed the 2nd paragraph of my post.

I look forward to what hearing what you have to say.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Always happens to the nice people

Just a terrible story to read, thank God nobody was hurt. Would love to read a post of an arrest. :cry: :cry:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The Watchman did it.

Danny W said:
It seems that the criminals had inside knowledge, so anyone employed by these people could have been involved. For real estate in the US, it's location, location, location. In the DR, it's security, security, security. What a terrible thing to happen to innocent people who now must re-evaluate their lives. - D
I hope he was the 1st. one the cops picked up to "interrogate" then move on to ex employees, especially the ones who have left recently or were fired. Then the present employees. For sure someone on the inside is involved in one way or another. Hope they find them and do "proper" justice.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Providing this kind of information is one of the most valuable things that these forums can do. We all have to make our own lifestyle decisions, but being ignorant can be dangerous. Personally, I don't want to have to keep a gun or a big dog in order to be safe, so I choose to live in a gated community. A real estate agent will be happy to sell you a house anywhere. There is evil and violence everywhere, but the lack of police patrol, the proximity of grinding poverty and the obvious wealth and vulnerability of most foreigners makes for it's own form of danger. I hope this kind of info continues to be provided. - D

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Eddy said:
I hope he was the 1st. one the cops picked up to "interrogate" then move on to ex employees, especially the ones who have left recently or were fired. Then the present employees. For sure someone on the inside is involved in one way or another. Hope they find them and do "proper" justice.

Yep, it was most likely the watchman. He sat there all night evey night getting paid pennies and had plenty of time to think. He formulated an idea to make some real money...then he got some friends to help him. The theives knew everything. They knew the couples routine. I'll bet the wife went out about the same time everyday to get the shotgun from the poolhouse. They knew the lay of the house and about the safe. They had it all planned out and needed help from the inside to be so efficient.

I just wonder what happened to the German shepard. Maybe I mised that part?

Larry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with those who think the watchman was involved. This is not uncommon in the DR, unfortunately. People paid to guard get involved for money with those they are supposed to guard against. In the condo complex where I live, some talk about getting rid of employees and hire a watchyman as a money saver. Stories like the experience of the couple in Cabarete underscore the benefit of having employees of proven loyalty doing the job.

I'm curious about that dog, too. Would he have barked if strangers came on the property? If so, the fact that he didn't seems to suggest that at least one of the robbers was known to him.

Probably a very good think the woman was traumatized and "too shocked to scream or shout." If she had, that could very well have frightened the thieves into doing something drastic to shut her up.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
And if the dog did bark and wake up the husband it may have been a lot worse. Maybe the dog couldn't recognize the robbers because they had hoods on, but smelled their scent that's why he didn't bark.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
that's bad

They better start a investigation to the security guard. because he could have connection with it or maybe if someone that they know.

I hope the lady is ok.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I honestly don't know why people employ watchmen to "watch" their homes. In my opinion your best security in The DR is to just have a couple of mean dogs in your yard, pack a gun and stop looking like a walking victim. Watchmen fall asleep, a lot of them don't even know how to handle a gun properly, sometimes they plot against the same people thay are suposedly helping, etc...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
easygoin said:
Maybe the dog couldn't recognize the robbers because they had hoods on, but smelled their scent that's why he didn't bark.

That is my thought, too.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dogs better than watchmen

I agree about having some nasty dogs around as being the better part of one's home security, and am also anxiously awaiting to hear what happened with the German Shephard.
There are other security measures to be taken, according to one's individual home circumstances.
I am elated to hear that the victims were not physically harmed and pray to God that they catch the culprits and serve them up a nice heaping of justice.
I do understand and appreciate the posters who mentioned that it was no reason to leave the DR.
They are correct, as this type of crime exists everywhere on the planet, and the response was justified, as the original poster did mention that the couple were thinking of leaving the DR because of the attack.
Most of us who live here, do so to escape the modern world with all of it's rules and regulations and stress. The downside is, that we have to attend to certain things that are taken for granted in the modern world, such as personal & home security and good police service.
Criminals are lazy people and will attack at the point of least resistance.
Make it as difficult and inconvenient as possible to be a crime victim.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I dont see how having a couple of big tough dogs would infring one someones quality of life.

The original post said that she let the dog out. I assume there is no leash laws there....so i assume the dog was away doing his business. even if he recognized the attackers he surely would have gone on the attack or at least bark if one his masters was being attacked. If i EVER raised a hand to my sister (my OLDERS sister) as a kid (as i was prone to do;-) our dog would certainlty come at me.

So yeah...one has to choose either living in a gated community....OR hire a watchy and keep a few dogs around (1 sheppard, 1 rottweiler and 1 pit bull i am sure would keep people away.) i would also fence in the area so if one has to let ones dog out in the morning to do their business...they cant wander too far. I am sure that would deter any corrupt watchyman.

I would LOVE to have a dog here in my apt for security (as well as company).. But there is no green space near my apt to let a dog run and play...and i live alone..so waking up an extra hour to walk him is not appealing to me at all. But one more break in here...and i will definitely get a pit bull.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
They are correct, as this type of crime exists everywhere on the planet, and the response was justified, as the original poster did mention that the couple were thinking of leaving the DR because of the attack.
Most of us who live here, do so to escape the modern world with all of it's rules and regulations and stress.

Certainly, do crime exist everywhere but we shall not miss the fact that based on the number of inhabitants in the sosua area and the number of foreigners living in this area versus quantity of crime against foreigners we can tell that the crime is much higher than what the number of incidents are telling us. Using a percentage per 100,000 or 10,000 inhabitants will give us the information required to compare crime in Sosua/DR against other jurisdictions. I tend to agree that violent crime in the area is lower than other countries but crime is also crime against property.

I do suscribe to what a previous poster said "In the DR, real estate is Security, Security, Security)

If you're coming to the DR to escape the modern world, you're mistaken. The DR will offer you the same stress as you will find anywhere else (some variations only), the only difference is that in the DR you become more of an important person due to the inequality in the distribution of wealth and the perception among the locals that anyone being white and foreigner is a rich guy/girl.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
jrzyguy said:
That is really terrible....an i certainly empathise with them...as i have been mugged 3 times (twice in boston...first time at gunpoint and pistol whipped)....and my appartment here in jersey city has been robbed a few times.

soooooooooo it can happen anywhere. My mom lives in a quaint New England town....and her neighbors house has been robbed a couple of times (once on xmas eve and they took off with all the presents).

A whole family was slaughtered not to far from where i live now in JC a couple of weeks ago.

I was working in the WTC on 9/11 and witnessed the attacks first hand. (and i still havent moved and i still work in lower manhattan)

IT sounds like they have to coordinate better with the security guard. OR...when she goes to retrieve the gun she should do so with the dog (hopefully they have a BIG dog.) THey dont have to live in fear...just devise a better plan of security.

Again...sorry about their story....but it doesnt sound like a reason to move. Robberies are going to happen anywhere....but especialy where you have well to do people living in close proximity to the very poor.

Actually in the DR if you own a home and have a safe.......you are MUCH more prone to be robbed than most people. The poor steal from the rich..........but the "rich" are much fewer in the DR than the poor. Can't really compare the status quo in the DR to places like the US/England/Canada.

If you are a foreigner and/or light skinned live in a decent home/have a car you ARE a CONSTANT target for thieves. These sorts of incidents are a lot more prevalent than you think, and it was obviously an inside job.....they always are. I've said this a few times on these boards, but the Dominicans you trust the most are the ones who will kill/rob you.

A security guard I grew up with who taught me how to play baseball (we played for a few hours a day for years), ended up robbing us blind. Another family I knew were tied up and thrown in a closet after being threatened with machetes by their driver of over 10 years.

Seriously if you have a maid you think you can trust, DON'T. Same goes for gardeners/drivers/pool cleaners etc etc. It's a sad way to live, but all middle to upper class Dominicans know this better than most. Don't be naive and think any of those people care about you, they are extremely impoverished and desperate. The first opportunity that presents itself to rob you blind which they feel is relatively "certain", you can be sure it will happen.

Also, seriously your analogies to the US aren't valid. I've lived in the US now for quite some time, and my condominium association employs educated people who make very good wages. Dominicans/Americans/Canadians etc etc treat their help in private homes or condominiums much like slaves..........so what do you expect.

Don't trick yourself into thinking you're just as safe in the DR as you are in the US in terms of theft, you have a HUGE bullseye on your backs down there ESPECIALLY if you're a white US/Euro.