Tigers on the phone

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
I answered the phone this morning to the voice of a man I didn?t know who informed me that he?s calling from the Hospital and that some of my family members had been involved is a very serious accident and are in critical condition. My heart stopped and my wife says that my face went completely pale.

I asked this man what happened and who is it that was hurt and what hospital they are in but he could not give me a clear name, saying that he?s hurt so bad that he can?t get the name clear so I asked if it was my father and said his name?The man asked and then confirmed it was my father.

I remembered that he said family members so I asked if my Mother and sister are ok and he said no, that they are also critical. Almost in tears at this point I asked again what hospital they are in?I?ll be right there but the man replied ?forget about that right now, there?s no time, your father needs you to go to the store and get a phone card so he can recharge his phone and call you, urgently?.

This couldn?t be right, go to the store, get a phone card, come back home, give this guy the code and wait for my father to call me??? I asked if he could just put my father on the line and let me talk to him but he said that he couldn?t but would wait for me to get back from the store with the phone card.

I told him to call me back in 10 min and hung up the phone, picked it back up and called my father?s cell only to find out that he?s at home with my mother and sister, all waiting for us to show up for Sunday lunch.

At this point it could be one of two things, someone is in grave need and they had the wrong number or a very evil scam?so I waited for the guy to call back and he did and asked if I got the phone card for him. I replied that I did not and I talked with my family and they are all safe at home?He hung up.

What kind of sick person would do such a sick thing, almost giving me a heart attack for a 50 Pesos phone card?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Come on!!

You sure that was not AZB playing a joke on you?.

With all seriousness, only a sick puppy would do such a thing.

You are a bigger man than me becuase if I were you, I would invite him to come to my home and pick up the card and some money to take to my father for his medical bills, I would wait for him with my best friend, "Mr Louisville Slugger" and when he arrive at my home, I would said: "Mr Slugger, met Mr Ankle" and boom, just one swing to the ankle.

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Something similar happened to me a couple of months ago. I got a collect call from some guy, the only thing is that when someone calls from jail the collect call will say "collect call from so and so correction facility". The first time I hung up and didn't accept. Then I started thinking "what if it's one of my cuban cousins that have arrived here in miami and are being held in Krome?" It's happened before, where I have hung up cause I don't recognize the name, then mom will say hey you have a cousin named that, Oops! Anyway sure enough they called again and I accepted. This guy said that he was calling from the hospital and that Mari was hurt and couldn't come to the phone but had asked him to call me. He took a chance with the name Mari it's pretty common. Anyway I said what hospital and he said Jackson. Strange since the Mari I know lives in Broward so why would she be in Miami on a weekday. I said what do you want and he told me to call him back at some weird number. I was like no way man. Then I told him that I knew he was lying cause he was calling from a correction facility. Of course he denied it, but I just hung up. He tried calling again but I didn't answer. Then I called Mari just to make sure she was ok which she was. Safe and sound and ready to go to sleep. It's amazing the way that people will pull these scams. Thank god that I didn't fall for it, but just think about how many people do fall for it.

Minni

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It happends so you have to be on the ball

A similar thing happend a couple of weeks ago, My wife received a call from a man telling her that her husband and referring to her by my name was in a serious car accident in downtown Puerto Plata and needed an Immediate Blood Transfusion and she was to go to the bank Immediately and take out fifteen thousand Pesos.

So it just so happened that I was in my office at our home that day and she knew where I was.

It scarred the living sh** out of her, but she Immediately called the Police.

Gringo

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Common scam

This scam has been going on, with differing variations of the same theme for at least 12 years that I know of.
Most of the time, they already know some details about you and your family, to make it more believable.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
This is a known scam in the DR. Thet just want your phone minutes. Oldest trick in the book. Never fall dor it. If family members were hurt hospital or police would contact you.