Surviving the Apocalypse in the DR

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Just wondering if any DR1ers have come here to increase their chances of survival, if the 1st world should suddenly self destruct, or the robot overlords should make their grab for power? Anybody stocking up on rice and ammo in some remote mountain regions?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
There are no survivors in the Good Ship Hispaniola, not even one lone Castaway.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Naufrago said:
Just wondering if any DR1ers have come here to increase their chances of survival, if the 1st world should suddenly self destruct, or the robot overlords should make their grab for power? Anybody stocking up on rice and ammo in some remote mountain regions?

According to realtors I have talked with, there has been a big increase in American buyers since 9/11. Seems to suggest that they see this as a safer haven than the US if things really go bad.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Ken said:
According to realtors I have talked with, there has been a big increase in American buyers since 9/11. Seems to suggest that they see this as a safer haven than the US if things really go bad.

I really believe a Dominican Realtor would say something like that. That's a very narrow perspective. I agree that part of my relocation is based on the embarrassment and shame brought by the US' current chief idiot and his followers/voters. However, two things: (1) Many countries have for YEARS dealt with terrorism and countinue to do so; and (2) there are THOUSANDS of other safe"r" havens.

If a realtor told you that (and I am certain one did), get your vaseline ready because someone is about to get it GOOD!!
TEHAMA

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Who, me??

If you might be referring to my previous post. Yeah, Monday was unusally slow. But Today hasn't been. Thanks for asking.

If my comment appeared a bit crude, I apologize. But the original comment was crude to me. For a Realtor to suggest the potential of a looming mass exodust of Americans fleeing the States, so "buy NOW before they come and the price goes through the roof" scenario, is simply crap. While many people may move to DR, I dont believe the States will empty out in my life time.

Perhaps I am a bit sensentive as we are not well-liked in many places theses days.
TEHAMA

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
My Dear Tehama

I was just stating that the original post was a somewhat "wacky" suggestion. Maybe it's an American thing? Survival after a nucleur winter was not the first reason (or last reason for that matter) why I came here. My reasons had more to do with the nice weather - got that one wrong too!

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Darling Nicky- No, sorry. Didn't get it wrong. I asked, "who, me?" Perhaps you might try writing a more precise post as well as "reading" the title line. :cross-eye

Enjoy your evening!
TEHAMA

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If a natural disaster is the case and there is a chance of rising sea levels, I bet Hillibilly already has his escape route planned to the hills. As far as US buyers in the DR, many are Dominican Americans. I know of hand full of people in the wife's family who have recently purchased a condo or a house and have moved back or are within a year of going back. They stayed here 30 years, made their money, and feel like the DR is safer when it comes to terrorism. There are other reasons but it is kind of the icing on the cake I guess. We live in the NYC area.

If is economic destruction, I hope you have a garden.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Who Me?

Okay, I guess it might sound a little wacky. But, as I was driving through the mountains the other day I saw cattle and goats and chickens and so much produce, and not too many people, very isolated. It occurred to me that if the Global Infrastructure was suddenly disrupted these folks wouldn't miss a beat. I recall reading some survivalist publication awhile back and the recommendation was to move to just such a place, a tropical mountain setting. If it ain't your thing I totally understand your thinking it wacky. But hey people said that Noah was a little "Wacky" too. For those who understand the serious aspect of the question, Thanks for your comments. To the others I say, I pray you're right, and that these concerns are merely "Wacky" musings.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Naufrago said:
Okay, I guess it might sound a little wacky. But, as I was driving through the mountains the other day I saw cattle and goats and chickens and so much produce, and not too many people, very isolated. It occurred to me that if the Global Infrastructure was suddenly disrupted these folks wouldn't miss a beat. I recall reading some survivalist publication awhile back and the recommendation was to move to just such a place, a tropical mountain setting. If it ain't your thing I totally understand your thinking it wacky. But hey people said that Noah was a little "Wacky" too. For those who understand the serious aspect of the question, Thanks for your comments. To the others I say, I pray you're right, and that these concerns are merely "Wacky" musings.

I wasn't talking about you, it's everyone else. I think you're right on the money. Just remember if you hear a heard of thumping buffalo while sitting atop your mountain that there are no buffalo here; they're Haitians.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Sounds like we're back to the backyard bomb shelters of the 50's. Which always seemed very odd to me. If the world did come to an end in one fashion or another I am not sure if I would have to interest in hanging around for rebuild project.

Case in point: Tonight, my can-opener broke half way through opening a can. Very hungry, but I decided instead of using a primative knife to finish the job. I will wait until I can shop for another opener.

Anyone want me on their survival team?
TEHAMA

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Naufrago said:
Funny you should ask that... I asked my husband last week if there were any survivalists in Denmark, he looked at me funny and told me that maybe a lone loon off his medication. I am starting to believe that it is an American phenomenon, I could be wrong of course.

Survivalists in the DR? Aren't we all?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
When I built my hut in the foothills north of Azua, I tried to reproduce as faithfully as possible the Taino arquitecture and building materials. My theory was that it could handle better a huricane than a masonry built structure. The place has been battered with very strong winds, but no direct hits yet. However I built next to it a 'bunker' with half meter stone walls, just in case of flies. Maybe the 'bunker' will withstand a hurricane but not a strong quake. So as the saying goes: 'if the honey don't get you, the bees will..."

Mirador

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Mirador said:
When I built my hut in the foothills north of Azua, I tried to reproduce as faithfully as possible the Taino arquitecture and building materials. My theory was that it could handle better a huricane than a masonry built structure. The place has been battered with very strong winds, but no direct hits yet. However I built next to it a 'bunker' with half meter stone walls, just in case of flies. Maybe the 'bunker' will withstand a hurricane but not a strong quake. So as the saying goes: 'if the honey don't get you, the bees will..."

Mirador

Was a half meter enough to keep the flies out?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have To Agree With "PIB"!

I was told by my boss,a Dominican,that people don't "Live" in the DR,they SURVIVE!
I would be considered a "Survivalist" in the USA,here I am just being prepared fopr normal day to day life!
I guess the "Claymore Mines" around the house are a bit much,but you can never tell!