Another robbery at gun point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
This one was in Sosua. A couple again, this time the lady was followed home from the shops by another car. I guess she decided the best thing to do was get home but of course, once she opened the gate to the house they were in. They stripped the house, filled up the couples two SUV's with all their loot and drove off.

This was quite big news last week - I'm surprised it's not been mentioned already. - There have been another two broad daylight breakins in my normally quiet neighbourhood. Most Dominicans are sh*t scared to come up into the hills here for fear of getting shot - I'd best dust down the old AK47 again. - It's huntin' season in them thar hills! :eek:

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
Simon & Nicky said:
This one was in Sosua. A couple again, this time the lady was followed home from the shops by another car. I guess she decided the best thing to do was get home but of course, once she opened the gate to the house they were in. They stripped the house, filled up the couples two SUV's with all their loot and drove off.

This was quite big news last week - I'm surprised it's not been mentioned already. - There have been another two broad daylight breakins in my normally quiet neighbourhood. Most Dominicans are sh*t scared to come up into the hills here for fear of getting shot - I'd best dust down the old AK47 again. - It's huntin' season in them thar hills! :eek:

It looks like "Pto Chiquito" is becoming an "oasis" of tranquility and no crime.
NO much noise because we are protecting the FMV of our properties.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Neighbourhood watch?

Maybe we Sosua residents have to set something up amongst ourselves, to attend to our security better than the local authorities can.
I don't have a specific idea, other than to say that if we do something to make it difficult to be victimized, we will be safer and the lazy criminals will go elsewhere to ply their trade.
As long as it's easy, it will continue.
Whatever we come up with, it should not be discussed on the internet, as the criminals would be privy to the info as well.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Hey Rocky "Bronson"

I would go for teams of vigilantes - like the Guardian Angels. Trouble is, I think that around here they would become a target for the mafia and end up getting shot at etc. - You can't be a vigilante and get spotted by the locals running away from someone eh? Maybe we should just all go and complain to the mayor! That should get things moving along swiftly ;)

- The "big raid" was apparently in La Mulata II. - Here's how stories can get inflated. A German neighbour told me they had an electric fence! Wow - I thought that would be a pretty strong deterent by itself but on reflection I think he meant that they had an automatic gate. :cross-eye

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Cameras, Cameras, Cameras

The more the merrier. Cheap, very good detail, motion detection recordable and loyale.

All vehicles/people in and out of specific areas could be scanned front and back.

Once the bad guys are identified, appropriate action can be taken. The ultimate neighborhood watch.

And for any of you bleeding heart liberals that are going to cry privacy invasion, go find yourself another country to ruin. I, have and will always be on the side of the victims, their rights first and foremost.

Note: the more expensive cameras have pan/tilt/zoom, follow motion as recording and have digital zoom.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Simon, glad you mentioned it. I believe the more aware we are of these events the better prepared we MAY become. Information is power.

The "Guardian Angels" vigilante idea has merit, I know a few people that would subscribe to it. I also know the right man for the job, he has already informed me that he would love the opportunity to establish a "gringo" only hit squad. And he's very serious. Set up the meeting Marco.

As to the cameras, I'm sure we've all seen Crimewatch or Americas Most Wanted where all you get from cameras is blurry shots of a dark face. They all look the same to me and does anyone believe that the Dominican police would be able to use such photographic evidence. Plus they are useless if the perps use masks.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I would think there would me some good private security companies in the area. If not, that would be a good business opportunity for an ex NY cop, or anyone suited to that type of business. It's very common and effective in the States for an private company to augment and work with the local police - and very profitable.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Please

The single most thing I disdain about this site.

gjsuk, your comments are wrong, false and incorrect.

Before you trivialize someone's suggestion by referring to stupid TV programs check out the technology.

I can assure you what I have seen is real and works.

I can't see these bad guys wearing masks 24/7.

What you suggest is an all out war, Dominican's against expats, not just bad guys. I believe the Dominican's win when it comes to 'nothing to lose'.

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
gjsuk said:
Simon, glad you mentioned it. I believe the more aware we are of these events the better prepared we MAY become. Information is power.

The "Guardian Angels" vigilante idea has merit, I know a few people that would subscribe to it. I also know the right man for the job, he has already informed me that he would love the opportunity to establish a "gringo" only hit squad. And he's very serious. Set up the meeting Marco.

As to the cameras, I'm sure we've all seen Crimewatch or Americas Most Wanted where all you get from cameras is blurry shots of a dark face. They all look the same to me and does anyone believe that the Dominican police would be able to use such photographic evidence. Plus they are useless if the perps use masks.

Hi all, I dont live in sosua but santiago isn't any safer. I just like ti say that I believe that electronic evidence is not admisable in D.R. courts. There have been changes in court precedures recently, maybe that has changed also.
But you can use the images to send a police death squade after the bastards.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Snuffy said:
I think a couple good guard dogs and a pistol will suffice.
That's true, but is that the only way a gringo can live in a non-gated community? I don't want to own dogs or guns, so if one day I want a nice house in a secluded area, I guess it's gated or nothing. And even then, is it safe. Does Perla Marina have any crime?

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
gmiller261 said:
The single most thing I disdain about this site.

gjsuk, your comments are wrong, false and incorrect.

Before you trivialize someone's suggestion by referring to stupid TV programs check out the technology.

I can assure you what I have seen is real and works.

I can't see these bad guys wearing masks 24/7.

What you suggest is an all out war, Dominican's against expats, not just bad guys. I believe the Dominican's win when it comes to 'nothing to lose'.

Firstly I come from England where we have CCTV cameras in many towns in the country. Your exact movements can be tracked on CCTV across most of London.

These measures were established to attempt to capture the Feinians who took such great pleasure over many years in blowing us up.

The good guys could really care less about this intrusion of their privacy.

But the bad guys take measures to avoid identification when committing acts of crime. Such as disguise, wigs, hats and masks, thus nullifying the effect of camera surveillance.

To suggest that the bad guys would wear such disguise 24/7 is idiotic.

Secondly, where the hell do I even remotely suggest an "all out war" against Dominicans in general?

Thirdly please explain to me the difference between "wrong" and "incorrect".

Perhaps you have a problem in understanding of the English language.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Here's a practical suggestion in order to get the local police working seriously on your case. When you report the robbery simply overstate the loss. So for example if you were hit for 200 dollars, tell them you're missing 20,000 or even 200,000 thousand. And if you want to give the police an extra incentive to work on your case, tell them you're also missing a couple of Uzi, AK47, Glok, a .50 cal rifle, and an old shoulder fired Stinger Sam you kept as souvenir from your old days in Agfanistan.

Mirador

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Rocky said:
Maybe we Sosua residents have to set something up amongst ourselves, to attend to our security better than the local authorities can.
I don't have a specific idea......

Being a prospective property owner in the Sosua / Cabrete corridor situations like this are very interesting to me. The emphasis to me by the most knowledgeable has always been to take my time and make sure it was something I really wanted to do. The reality is most likely on a population percentage basis or the percentage of households basis that incidents like this happen as often in most North American cities.

My instinct has always been to purchase in a ?gated? community. Such communities in essence have already done the proactive-ness towards this type of situation have they not.

The problem with these incidences is not just the obvious emotional toll but even with Insurance coverage the replacement hassles in a third world environment like it is can be just too big a hurdle for some to want to experience again. Hence they find it time to leave what they had hoped would be there paradise.

I imagine incidents like these happen all over the country but are more pronounced when they happen where there is such a large expat aspect in the community.

By no means have I found the information on these DR1 Boards to be all bad news. It?s a little like the regular press. Front page?s being all the juicy and bad news stuff and further inside the happier and more pleasant stuff.

I am glad I read the whole thing. Many posting could be considered to be part of the ?comic? section of a regular newspaper. These provide me with many chuckles and the occasional loud laugh.

These incidents have to be kept in balance ( remember that ?buss? word ).

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Yes, it takes such a long time here to set up a comfortable environment for yourself...then someone comes along and destroys that. That kind of robbery would send most people packing.

You have to do what you will to protect yourself. This is not the USA with a police station on every corner. As someone decribed it once to me...this is like the willd wild west. If you are going to live here then you have to adapt security-wise to the environment. You may not want dogs and guns. Perhaps you can find another option. But you do have to adapt.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Getting organized.

Hopefully within 48 hours I will have some info and suggestions, that would warrant some of us Sosua locals meeting up to discuss.
I would prefer to not mention any more than that, as we need surprise on our side as well and I don't want to share info with the criminals.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rocky, are you suggesting that 'criminals' are snooping our DR1 forum for tips on how to breach your security system for Sosua. By the way, who's a bonafide, card carrying Sosua local? and who are not welcomed to your 'closed-door' meeting? Sounds like paranoia is getting the best of your idea.

Mirador

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
lol

Mirador said:
Rocky, are you suggesting that 'criminals' are snooping our DR1 forum for tips on how to breach your security system for Sosua. By the way, who's a bonafide, card carrying Sosua local? and who are not welcomed to your 'closed-door' meeting? Sounds like paranoia is getting the best of your idea.

Mirador
Naw, it's nothing like that.
Initially I am meeting with a high placed authority/friend, to get advice and perhaps later, have a meeting with any and all who are interested, if I have anything worthwhile to report.
The years of living hear have taught me that it is extremely difficult to keep anything secret around here and I would prefer to leak out only the info that would be productive, like, "joe bloe now has two 24 hours guards armed with machine guns.
That type of info is worth spreading on the streets. Letting people know that you have hidden cameras, is counter productive, as they will either disable them or wear masks.
I am not paranoid and I feel quite comfortable with the security perimeter here, where I live, but that doesn't prevent me from wanting to help my friends and protect all the good people in our community.
The more we support the good guys and mess up the bad guys, the better our quality of life will be.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Simon & Nicky said:

I think my house would be the last place i drive to if i notice that i am beinng followed. she should have driven to a public place.

Status
Not open for further replies.