I need Bagels from S. Domingo please !

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Hi... If anyone is coming from S. Domingo to Sosua in the near future... could they bring me some bagels please ?

Many thanks .... Sylvia

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I am off to SD tomorrow and will try to find bagels for you. Where can I find them???

If I do find any I'll bring back a bunch and share!!!! I used to find frozen bagels in Tropical in POP but not anymore....

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
planner said:
I am off to SD tomorrow and will try to find bagels for you. Where can I find them???

If I do find any I'll bring back a bunch and share!!!! I used to find frozen bagels in Tropical in POP but not anymore....

Hi Planner ..... Bagels & More North of 27 February .... hope you find the place ... any selection will do .... Thanks so much... Sylvia

silke

Sep 15, 2004
recipe for bagels

here a recipe to make bagels on your own

for 12 bagels

1 package dry yeast
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1 ? cups warm water (105 F)
1 tablespoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
cornmeal
2 tablespoons malt syrup or molasses
sesame or poopy seeds, chopped onions, coarse salt for topping if you like

combine the yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar and warm water. let it stand until the mixture bubbles, about 10 minutes.
in a separate bowl, mix together 2 teaspoons sugar, half of the flour and the salt. add the yeast mixture and remaining flour.
knead on a lightly floured board for about 5 minutes until the dough is somewhat smooth and elastic.
allow to rest and rise for 1 hour, then divide dough into 2-inch-pieces.
roll each into a cylinder shape about 6 inches in length and 1 inch in diameter.
to form a bagel, take a length of dough and join the ends by pinching them tightly, making a ring. repeat with remaining dough. allow rings to rest and rise slightly.
bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. add malt syrup or molasses. preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
plunge bagels into the water and poach for 30 seconds (this creates a tough, glossy exterior), then turn over and cook the other sides until the dough puffs and the shapes are set. dust a baking sheet with cornmeal.
remove the bagels, drain and place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the bagels with seeds, onions, garlic or coarse salt.
bake at very high heat, 500 degrees F, for 10 to 15 minutes until golden

enjoy

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
silke...

silke said:
here a recipe to make bagels on your own

for 12 bagels

1 package dry yeast
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1 ? cups warm water (105 F)
1 tablespoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
cornmeal
2 tablespoons malt syrup or molasses
sesame or poopy seeds, chopped onions, coarse salt for topping if you like

combine the yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar and warm water. let it stand until the mixture bubbles, about 10 minutes.
in a separate bowl, mix together 2 teaspoons sugar, half of the flour and the salt. add the yeast mixture and remaining flour.
knead on a lightly floured board for about 5 minutes until the dough is somewhat smooth and elastic.
allow to rest and rise for 1 hour, then divide dough into 2-inch-pieces.
roll each into a cylinder shape about 6 inches in length and 1 inch in diameter.
to form a bagel, take a length of dough and join the ends by pinching them tightly, making a ring. repeat with remaining dough. allow rings to rest and rise slightly.
bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. add malt syrup or molasses. preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
plunge bagels into the water and poach for 30 seconds (this creates a tough, glossy exterior), then turn over and cook the other sides until the dough puffs and the shapes are set. dust a baking sheet with cornmeal.
remove the bagels, drain and place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the bagels with seeds, onions, garlic or coarse salt.
bake at very high heat, 500 degrees F, for 10 to 15 minutes until golden

enjoy

I appreciate that recipe as I like to cook. But can you tell me where in this country you buy a package of yeast. I have only seen it in plastic bottles and the yeast I have purchased is not that good. Also, can you tell me which flour you use...because you are limited here in this country. You cannot get a high-gluten flour here and my experience with bagels, french bread, pizza...is that you really need high-gluten flour to do it right. I cannot find a place in Santiago that creates great french bread or bagels. In the capital I go to Carrefour for excellent french bread. Let me know which flour you use. Thanks.

silke

Sep 15, 2004
lo siento

well snuffy

it was just a suggestion
I'm from Europe and only a RD-tourist, sorry
I don't really know where you can buy all that stuff in Santiago

but a friend told me that there is a "super nacional" in Santiago where you can buy everything you need

last december I was in La Romana in the supermercado JUMBO - you can buy absolutly everything there - it's a supermarket like in the US

good luck

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
silke said:
well snuffy

it was just a suggestion
I'm from Europe and only a RD-tourist, sorry
I don't really know where you can buy all that stuff in Santiago

but a friend told me that there is a "super nacional" in Santiago where you can buy everything you need

last december I was in La Romana in the supermercado JUMBO - you can buy absolutly everything there - it's a supermarket like in the US

good luck

How you found me to be ungrateful is beyond me.

silke

Sep 15, 2004
I don't think that you are ungratefull or something like that

with my posting I just want to say sorry that I didn't consider the situation in the RD - maybe I choosed the wrong words for that

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
Chester4 said:
Hi... If anyone is coming from S. Domingo to Sosua in the near future... could they bring me some bagels please ?

Many thanks .... Sylvia

NO WAY!!! they are all for me . NA NA NA NAAA NA :p

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Lenders

How About Lenders Frozen Bagles, Or Bagels From New York?

Im On My Way To D.r. In 2 Weeks