English Teaching Jobs Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I just started with a great little company in Santo Domingo that is rapidly expanding. Their customers include the top corportions, NGOs, and Government Agencies. This is teaching english to business managers and professionals. Definetly a step up from teaching at the university, like I have been doing up untill now. They need good teachers and/or native speakers with an interest in learning sound teaching methods. If your interested and serious and here, PM me for more info and details.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
People are asking about pay first thing, so I thought I would just add: The pay is well above what APEC was paying me ($RD120/hr). I can't speak for the boss, so it probably depends on your qualifications. He needs all different levels, and business degrees or background would be a major asset to the firm. I was a lawyer in NY, with a good deal of experience giving presentations and a little teaching experience. New teachers are fine, he's into the vibe and personality aspect of his teachers. If your interested it's definetly worth checking out.

zaratustra

Apr 6, 2004
English Student

Naufrago said:
I just started with a great little company in Santo Domingo that is rapidly expanding. Their customers include the top corportions, NGOs, and Government Agencies. This is teaching english to business managers and professionals. Definetly a step up from teaching at the university, like I have been doing up untill now. They need good teachers and/or native speakers with an interest in learning sound teaching methods. If your interested and serious and here, PM me for more info and details.

Could you inform tel/address of this english co.?

Thanks,

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
More Teachers Urgently Needed

In response to some common PMs I've been getting. Yes, we still need teachers now more than ever. The office is in Arroyo Hondo, with many teaching locations nearby in nice areas, e.g. Acropolis, Anacoana, professionals and managers, great students. Most of the students are reasonably fluent, so we just discuss business topics in English, work on pronunciation, and business vocabulary. PM me ASAP, its not hard work, and I've really been learning a lot about this country and its business just interacting with these people. :glasses:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Teaching aid

The DR1 News blurbs are useful teaching items; homework or in class discussion.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not to mention some DR1 forums posts. I used one once - any guesses what it was? ;)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Do tell!

I've done the same!

I also tried to get Cris Colon to come in as my "show and tell" guest.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Teachers - some more ideas for your lesson plans

For beginners:
- identify and dissect the recurring themes, imagery and motifs in the posts of AZB.

For intermediates:
- which in your view is the ultimate Criss Colon classic? Discuss.

Advanced:
- what the hell is (poster's name omitted to protect the guilty) on about anyway?

Hey, we could even have a bash at these ourselves. ;)

Confession time:
Boringly enough, the post I really did use as a basis for a discussion in an English lesson is not by any of our famous (or should I say infamous) posters. It was this one. Worked well.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Chirimoya said:
For beginners:
- identify and dissect the recurring themes, imagery and motifs in the posts of AZB.

For intermediates:

Advanced:
- what the hell is (poster's name omitted to protect the guilty) on about anyway?

Confession time:
Boringly enough, the post I really did use as a basis for a discussion in an English lesson is not by any of our famous (or should I say infamous) posters. It was this one. Worked well.
All good stuff.

The AZB class should be titled "Angry Arabian Lit"

Colon's class and a pint of rum... I may laugh myself to death.

I have an RSS feed directly to his computer.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chirimoya said:
For beginners:

For intermediates:

Advanced:

Confession time:

Funny post! I am just curious why you omitted the persons name in your "advanced" question. Not that I or anyone else I am sure have any doubts about who you are referring to. I would come out and say it but I vowed never to address ( directly or in this case, indirectly) that person again so I wont. I just wonder if it is because he is so sensitive that you omitted his name. If only he realized how much some of us know......he would never (dis)grace the pages of this board with his babble again.

Larry

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Naufrago said:
In response to some common PMs I've been getting. Yes, we still need teachers now more than ever. The office is in Arroyo Hondo, with many teaching locations nearby in nice areas, e.g. Acropolis, Anacoana, professionals and managers, great students. Most of the students are reasonably fluent, so we just discuss business topics in English, work on pronunciation, and business vocabulary. PM me ASAP, its not hard work, and I've really been learning a lot about this country and its business just interacting with these people. :glasses:

But seriously folks....Don't forget about the very real need for teachers.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Larry said:
Funny post! I am just curious why you omitted the persons name in your "advanced" question. Not that I or anyone else I am sure have any doubts about who you are referring to. I would come out and say it but I vowed never to address ( directly or in this case, indirectly) that person again so I wont. I just wonder if it is because he is so sensitive that you omitted his name. If only he realized how much some of us know......he would never (dis)grace the pages of this board with his babble again.

Larry

Ah but Larry, I meant you! ;)

Only joking - it could be one of several attention whores - past and present - who would only get a kick out of being noticed, even as the target of our mockery.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Not to mention some DR1 forums posts. I used one once - any guesses what it was? ;)

The students could spend days just correcting the spelling and grammar.

mckillop

Jul 28, 2004
Teaching English

Naufrago said:
People are asking about pay first thing, so I thought I would just add: The pay is well above what APEC was paying me ($RD120/hr). I can't speak for the boss, so it probably depends on your qualifications. He needs all different levels, and business degrees or background would be a major asset to the firm. I was a lawyer in NY, with a good deal of experience giving presentations and a little teaching experience. New teachers are fine, he's into the vibe and personality aspect of his teachers. If your interested it's definetly worth checking out.

Hi:

I am a Canadian lawyer who intends to live in the DR. For the last four months I have been living in Cabarete. My tentative return date is May 1st. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please advise.

My email address is mckillop@mail.com.

Regards,
Bruce McKillop

keea

Apr 4, 2005
lookin for more info on the details

Hello. I'm ready to sign up for a TEFL course next week. That;s if you tell me I can find work in the DR. My husband is there waiting for me. Anything you can throw my way?
Thanks Keea.

Naufrago said:

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
keea said:
Hello. I'm ready to sign up for a TEFL course next week. That;s if you tell me I can find work in the DR. My husband is there waiting for me. Anything you can throw my way?
Thanks Keea.

The TEFL course would be a great idea. You will have no problem finding work as an English Teacher in the DR. Either with my Company or many other institutions. Let me know when you get here (if you're coming to Santo Domingo) and we can set up an interview. Good Luck. ;)

I sent you a PM with some contact information.

Last edited:

BMAG

Apr 5, 2005
Tefl

I have a few TEFL questions
Are there TEFL courses offered in DR?
Which certification(s) is/are best and widely recognized worldwide?
Can anyone recommend a course convenient for a New Yorker to take please? Travelling away to a class is fine
Is certification necessary?
I've been looking on internet for help and now I have too much info!!! There seems to be several sanctioning organizations and many options for training that vary widely with cost and time needed for completion.
Thanks
bmag

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
BMAG said:
Is certification necessary?

I've had no problem finding English teaching jobs without any certification or real teaching experience. If you're a native English speaker and have a B.A. or better, you will have no problem getting a job here. The TEFL certification will certainly improve your ability to be an effective teacher, but if you're committed to doing a good job and apply yourself, you could learn "On The Job".

You might find some non-profit agencies offering free TEFL training, or check out the local community colleges, city college, or SUNY.

Status
Not open for further replies.