Owning A Big Dog...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
All this robbery talk has got me curious. What are the cost that go into owning a dog. A BIG DOG....like a male german shephard. I would want to raise him from a pup. First, what would I expect to pay for a pure-bred male german shephard? What is the cost of food for one of these big creatures? What other cost are residual?

Thanks.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It depends on whether you raise him Dominican style or not...
Dominican style means you don't feed him "dog food", but he'll eat whatever everyone else eats in the house.

I think you can get one "pure bred" for less than 10,000 pesos which is pretty good considering what they cost here in The US. I know someone who bought one for 2k pesos, but I have no idea how pure bred it really is...

We have two viralatas (muts) in my house which are great guard dogs and didn't cost us a penny...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
thank you...I would want to provide dog food that is made for dogs...and of course I would like to throw in a thief from time to time.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I priced dog food at Pricemart...about 15 pesos per pound. How much does one of these beast consume per day?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
What you need is a Chihuahua.

Wait, I am not kidding, really.

You need something that makes a lot of noise and is not afraid of bigger animals, or humans. This is your beast. My mom has a chihuahua, so small that he sleeps in a shoe, and I've yet to see a more ill-tempered, nasty, cranky, fierce dog. He attacks friends and foes alike and make a hell of a lot of noise, he's been known to chase out bigger dogs (including my mom's other dogs who are now banned from the house by the Mighty Chihuahua).

I hate those rats. But they don't eat a lot.

Carry on.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
suarezn said:
It depends on whether you raise him Dominican style or not...
Dominican style means you don't feed him "dog food", but he'll eat whatever everyone else eats in the house.

I think you can get one "pure bred" for less than 10,000 pesos which is pretty good considering what they cost here in The US. I know someone who bought one for 2k pesos, but I have no idea how pure bred it really is...

We have two viralatas (muts) in my house which are great guard dogs and didn't cost us a penny...

We've got 2 viralatas also, one of which has some German Shephard in her background, & I totally support what you say suarezn. They seem to me much more intelligent than pedigree dogs & more intuitive in the ways of working out the bad guys from the good guys......but wonderful for telling you when a stranger is around. Only problem is .........they're racist!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Shepards and Chihuahuas

Our shepard eats 6 cups of meal a day, three in the morning and three in the evening. Plus ANYTHING that is left too low. Pizza, eggs, you name it.

Same for the Rotti.

PIB is absolutely right about the Chihuahuas. I have one of the little rats in my lap as I type this, but lo and behold, should anyone or any thing approach the house-off he flies and yappy yapp yap!. He tries to mount the Rottweiler and snaps at the shepard. He also is confused as hell about the Viralatta, "Ringo", who has been neutered!.. So he tries to mount him too, with very harsh results....But he tries!

There is a very black guy, whose name is "Carbon?" that sell puppies up by the monument. get one from him. It'll be cheap

Check out the B.A.R.F. diet for any dog you get.

HJB :D:D

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Snuffy said:
thank you...I would want to provide dog food that is made for dogs...and of course I would like to throw in a thief from time to time.
That is always good.
You also need to teach these dogs not to eat anything else outside the food the kind of food that you feed them. Teach them not to eat from a strangers.
tech them not to eat any thrown to them but only things that are placed only in his plates.

Thieves in the DR like to use something they call tres pasitos(three steps)
which i think is just rat poison that they put in a piece of salami and any dogs that eat this poison will only take (three steps) before they collapse.
So make sure your dogs learns to hate salami.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Snuffy said:
I priced dog food at Pricemart...about 15 pesos per pound. How much does one of these beast consume per day?
I don't know how much cheaper it is now these days but many dominicans usually had their maid cook their dog's meal which consisted of a very cheap corn meal that you were able to buy by the sacks.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Just recently completed round of vaccinations for a baby boxer. Cost two rounds of RD$600 and third was RD$750. That is it until next year.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Mutts are a very good choice due to you probably can pick him up for free versus a purebred. So that is the least expensive route to take. keep in mind that they are very intelligent and usually a lot less in veterinarian bills. As far as (feeding twice today is recommended.) When feeding dry food always soak with a little water and let stand for 10 minutes, due to bigger dogs tend to eat to rapidly and (CAUSE BLOAT) ending in death if not tended to immediately. Depending on the size of your dog a good rule of thumb is to have the skin being taunt to the touch no more no less, will indicate if your dog is getting proper food. Some dogs eat more than others no matter what size so this is a good way to check. As far as owning a pedigree I've owned boxers my whole life and showed them in confirmation and obedience. As far as shepherds, Rottweilers, I'll still take a Chihuahua. My ankles are hurting just thinking about it.ha -ha ;)

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Mr_DR said:
That is always good.
You also need to teach these dogs not to eat anything else outside the food the kind of food that you feed them. Teach them not to eat from a strangers.
tech them not to eat any thrown to them but only things that are placed only in his plates.

Thieves in the DR like to use something they call tres pasitos(three steps)
which i think is just rat poison that they put in a piece of salami and any dogs that eat this poison will only take (three steps) before they collapse.
So make sure your dogs learns to hate salami.

Very good post. This is extremely true..........my wife's dog was killed in the same manner. I suggest keeping the dog INSIDE your barred home. That way your dog stays safe, alerts you.........and you can grab the gun and turn on the lights to help deter them even more.

You shouldn't have anything valuable outside other than your car.......so why let the dog protect your grass? The thieves will get inside your compound, but the real trick is getting into the house. Hard to get past bars/windows/a huge dog barking inside. They'll move on to the next home. Of course you always need to remember if they're determined to rob you they could take more drastic measures, which is why you need to carry a gun.

It's an odd way of living life, but one all wealthy Dominicans live. You must realize you are a target in the DR in a way you were never a target in the US or Canada. You are not Dominican, so you have a huge bullseye on your back/your home/etc etc.