How are fires handled in DR?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This morning there was a fire in a building across from where I live. The building is less than 10 years old so the fires don't normally spread far. They saved the man in the burning apartment by getting him out the window. I watched in amazement how quickly the Fire department, Police, Ambulance were on the scene and how well they all worked together to do their jobs.

So it got me thinking that I'm pretty sure I've never read anything on DR1 about the steps people have to take when there's a fire in thier own house or even next door. Who do you call? Do they have 911 to call in the DR? Who pays the fire deparment, police and ambulance?

Please post info that people can use especially if they are thinking of moving soon and have never given any thought to this.

Thanks

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Haina has there own Fire Department.

It's not too often we see a concrete house go up.
But we keep an extinguisher in the kitchen for grease/oil fires.
We haven?t had to use it yet!

Houses made of wood, are a different matter.
So are tires.

Tim H.:smoke:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Experiences here in Santiago

Fires in Santiago.

In the Historical Center of town, because of faulty wiring, spikes in electricity, and so forth, we have had numerous fires. So many, infact, that none of theinsurance companies will insure any building or business in the area. The local fire department is fairly well trained, thanks to really good leadership among the civilian population and the local Patronato that supplies money through fund raising activities-much lie Santo Domingo, but with less politics involved.

How efficient are they? Frankly when a fire starts it finishes the building and the main job of the FD is to keep it from spreading. The houses are so old, the wood so tinder and dry, it is a bonfire in a minute or two. If the fire is in town, it is not rare to see units from Moca and Tamboril assisting the locals.

Santiago has three fire stations that I can locate, plus one in the Zona Franca. The main station is there by the Cemetary on 30 de Marzo.

Interesting post,

HB

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
In the past couple of years there have been at least three fires in restaurants at resorts in the DR (that I know of). In all cases the restaurants were complete losses but because of the resort design the buildings were isolated from other structures so by design they self-extinguished when the structure was totally consumed.

I guess response time was a factor in resort design.

Since I sell fire equipment to fire departments, I find the question very interesting.

Gregg

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well.........first they have to find it! I can remember about 11 years ago, sitting at International Pizzeria on the roundabout in Puerto Plata, seeing clouds of black smoke rising from somewhere behind Marapica area. Sure enough, with flurry of bells & horns a fire engine races past us in the direction of smoke...............only to return & go the other way a few minutes later. Presumably looking for a side road that was large enough to allow access to fire itself.

We lived in a wooden house in PP centre for 6 years. Next door, also wooden, had left a a pan of oil on cooker, which caught fire. Again a lot of black smoke coming straight into our house. I made a quick call to my partner's office to get him to call Fire Brigade & then immediately got dogs' leads to get them & me out of there. Didn't want a 'long' discussion with Fire Brigade myself! Fire Brigade came.......plus worried partner! Everything put out very quickly........then we cleaned up the oily soot!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for the responses. What about the cost. Does the government pay the fire department? How are they paid?

Do they use water? How are they dressed for thier own safety?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
From what I seen in the bomberos they have protective fire proof jackets and pants/helmets. Their fire engines/trucks come with a huge water tank. I remember 2 years ago a Toronto Blue Jays baseball player donated a fire truck to his native town of san pedro. From the 6 years I have been to DR i have never seen a fire, but seen the trucks responding to a exploded car's in riots.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Thanks for the responses. What about the cost. Does the government pay the fire department? How are they paid?

Do they use water? How are they dressed for thier own safety?

Just like the policia they are paid by the government.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
I have a friend who have working for fire departement or ambulancy in pop (don t really remember) but I know he stopped because it s was very difficult to do it s job well sometime they don t have money to put gaz in the emergency car or they missed everything. the other thing was they was not always paid because of lack of money.

I don t know if is still the same but it s was few year ago

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Chris. I was wondering how I could have mised that thread then I looked at the date. I was in the DR at the time.

Hope D.D.'s loss wasn't too great.