Is it only me or anyone else is sick?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am sick like a dog for a few days now. every time I feel I have come out of my flu, I get sick again the next day. Seems like there is a flu strain going around in this country and many folks are sick. everytime I get well, someone else (sick) comes into my office and gives me their virus all over again. Last night I had body aches (especially in right shoulder) that prevented me from sleeping. Now a days, flu can be brought here in 3 and 20 mins from NYC on jetblue and make others sick here in santiago in an instant. The world has certainly come closer with the airline web we have created in sky.
So my question is, how many people have this flu virus in their areas?
AZB

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
AZB said:
I am sick like a dog for a few days now. every time I feel I have come out of my flu, I get sick again the next day. Seems like there is a flu strain going around in this country and many folks are sick. everytime I get well, someone else (sick) comes into my office and gives me their virus all over again. Last night I had body aches (especially in right shoulder) that prevented me from sleeping. Now a days, flu can be brought here in 3 and 20 mins from NYC on jetblue and make others sick here in santiago in an instant. The world has certainly come closer with the airline web we have created in sky.
So my question is, how many people have this flu virus in their areas?
AZB

I've got the flu here in Puerto Plata....2 weeks straight and just as you said, everytime it feels like it's going away, it comes back and hits me hard the next day! I blame all the rain we've had....it's been a little chilly the last month or so -- For Dominican standards, at least!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It took about a month for me to really feel better. Then I remembered that while you have a cold or flu you should throw your toothbrush because you keep putting the germs back into your month. Not sure how true this is. How long do germs live on a toothbrush?

At least rinse it in very hot water. Seems to be world wide right now.

I heard on the news last night that the flu is sweeping through Europe. That reminds me, I'd better call my Aunt.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Try not to move from one extreme temperature to another....like moving from a cool indoor non humid environment to a hot humid outdoor environment. Stay in and rest. Treat your body to whatever food it craves. Put Vicks VapoRub on all over your feet...bottom, top, toes, all the way up to the ankle and then put socks over that. Drink lots of non sugar juices.

Dr. Snuffy.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I COULD Tell Everyone Why Your Right Shoulder Hurts,,,...

But we all know that you were out of the DR for a month and had to,how shall I put this,"service" yourself!!! :eek:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Criss Colon said:
But we all know that you were out of the DR for a month and had to,how shall I put this,"service" yourself!!! :eek:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
AZB said:
everytime I get well, someone else (sick) comes into my office and gives me their virus all over again...

AZB, I didn't know the Pope himself paid you visits... :bandit:
Have a big bowl of hot milk with honey and put a good shot of Ron A?ejo into it before you go to sleep and you'll feel better in the morning.
Bartolomeo

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
I live in Santiago, my daughter my son and me caught it last week. It's hard to make it leave you sistem, I believe they call this strain the "Quirino" strain.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I came down with the virus about 10 days ago. Just getting over it. Antibiotics for another week to get rid of the resulting infection.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Anti-biotics" have no effect on "Viral" infections.

"Flu",or Influenza, is caused by a virus. You can take an antibiotic for a bacterial infection,but you should have a throat culture done first to see if you actually have a bacterial infection,rarely,and which antibiotics are effective against the particular bacteria.Maany formerly effective antibiotics are now not working,just because millions of people take them when they are not needed.Doctors play part of the game,because they write perscriptions for antibiotics just to get their patients to think they are doing "something" for them.But the biggest factor is the countries,like the DR,and most of the "Third World" where you can get antibiotics without a doctors perscription.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Criss Colon said:
"Flu",or Influenza, is caused by a virus. You can take an antibiotic for a bacterial infection,but you should have a throat culture done first to see if you actually have a bacterial infection,rarely,and which antibiotics are effective against the particular bacteria.Maany formerly effective antibiotics are now not working,just because millions of people take them when they are not needed.Doctors play part of the game,because they write perscriptions for antibiotics just to get their patients to think they are doing "something" for them.But the biggest factor is the countries,like the DR,and most of the "Third World" where you can get antibiotics without a doctors perscription.

CC is absolutly right. Antibiotics will not help a viral infection, and we are creating super bugs world wide because of the the over use of antibiotics. It is a super bug, not war, famine, or nut cases that will cause the demise of the human race if we are not careful. As I tell my pts. you can take an antibiotic and you will be better in 10 -14 days or treat symptomatically (ie fluids, tea, chicken soup etc) and it wll be gone in 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. It is probably harder to do this in the DR since you can get antibiotics with out a perscription.

Bob K

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Criss Colon said:

:eek: after all this time, I discover that CC is in fact my Dad. Well, come to think of it, have you ever seen the two of them in the same room at the same time?

Seriously, this is one of my doctor Dad's pet peeves! He comes out with an identical spiel every time he hears the words 'virus' and 'antibiotics' in the same sentence.

I have a similar reaction when I hear 'sereno' and 'gripe' in the same sentence, mind you.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Almost 3 weeks now

Bad cold. Feel like crap for 1 week straight. Then it was easing up and after a week it hit again. But this time its more in the ears and throat. I'm not coughing so this is one good thing.

When will it end???

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thank you for asking, AZB, but no, I haven't got it. Nor have my close neighbours. Haven't actually had a cold, let alone grippe, all winter. Are you lot drinking booze instead of lots of nice healthy Vitamin C? ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Criss Colon said:

Both my doctor and I agree that antibiotics should only be taken when absolutely needed and try to avoid them. When there is a little yellow mucus, I get an anti inflamatory in the hope that will do the job. When there is a lot, I get an antibiotic.

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
i have it too

I've now had the flu for the past week. I don't so much mind the flu because my body only ache at night. What gets to me is my eyes running water, and my throat feeling like it clough.
It appear this is not only in the DR, but also in Turks and Caicos where I've seen alot of people coughing, coughing.
I am still wondering where in the hell i got this thing from because I am one not to get sick.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Listen!

AZB, many are making a joke out of this but you better be careful with that pain on your right shoulder. My friend's dad was having a pain on his right shoulder and when he was taken to the doctor, a heart attack was seconds away.

BTW, did you eat any "camel meat" on one of your trips?. Sorry, could not help it!! :nervous:

Last edited: