Puerto Plata to Cabarete...

SANTIAGOorBUST

Jan 21, 2005
If someone were flying into POP, what are the options they have for getting to Cabarete and how long will it take them? Cab, bus.....how much $ and how long of a travel??

Thank you so much -

Whitney

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
SANTIAGOorBUST said:
If someone were flying into POP, what are the options they have for getting to Cabarete and how long will it take them? Cab, bus.....how much $ and how long of a travel??

Thank you so much -

Whitney

POP Airport to Caberete is not far. Perhaps like 15 minutes. Taxi would cost you around $20 us dollars and you can find them outside the exit doors.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
OR,
There are 'Gua-gua' taxis/buses from the main road about 1/2 mile away from arrivals hall. Cost of this will be about RD $20 to Cabarete rather than the RD $300 or so for a regular taxi!! If you are coming in with anything more than a 'Carry-On', you will doubtless need a taxi. See the excessively overweight 'taxi' boy & tell him I said to give you the Dominican Price raher than the Gringo price (as Stallion says - maybe 15 - 20 U$D). If you want me to refer someone else - Perfecto of Sosua-taxis will happy to meet you & take you to your hotel in Cabarete! Yell me if you want me to check this price & whether he is free that day. ~ Grahame.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Take Grahame's advice!

However, if you are squamish about being paked together in a gua-gua (and they can get quite crowded), I would advice getting a taxi or paying double for two seats up front (RD$40).

Travel time by gua-gua is about 20-25 mins, by taxi about 15 mins.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
POP airport to Cabarete.

The standard taxi rate from the POP airport to Sosua is $20 US, so it must be $25 to $30 to Cabarete, as it is twice the distance.
It takes 10 minutes to get to the tourist area of Sosua, then another 10 to Cabarete, driving at a decent clip.
If you decide to walk to the highway from the main airport terminal, it must be close to 1 mile, then you could take the public transport to Cabarete for approx. 20 pesos.
Public cars are better than guaguas, as they are driven by the owner, or his cousin/friend/brother/uncle, etc. As they care for the vehicle, they drive with greater precaution then the guaguas, which are fleet vehicles driven by young delinquent maniacs.
Public transport to Cabarete will take approx. 30 minutes.

SANTIAGOorBUST

Jan 21, 2005
Thank you all so much, wow! What help! And Grahame, I will take you up on that! I will message you!

And thanks all, so great to know there is such a wealth of info and helpfulness on this site! You guys are great -

Cheers,
Whitney

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
SANTIAGOorBUST said:
By the way, wanted to know, is it easy to get around in Cabarete?

It's a strip of beach about 1 or 2 miles long...and the main road runs parallel. That is about it. You walk or get a mototaxi.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete

Taxi fares from POP to Cabarete have officially gone up! It's now US$ 25.00 and the trip will take you at least 25 to 30 minutes - if you do it in less then you'll have brown trousers!!!
The main street in Cabarete - from Tropicoco to Janet's supermarket is no more than 3 kms long. Most people walk or take a moto concho around town, or you just walk the beach.