Slum areas in Santo Domingo...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
While i was in Santo Domingo during Christmas I was talked out of travelling to Villa Mella to meet my girlfriends' parents (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxEdited by Tim H.). by the hotel clerk. He said it was too dangerous, especially walking around with a pretty dominican girl-I would stand out too much and would have become an obvious mark.

Now I don't know the capital that well, but from what I gather Villa Mella is to the norh if you are travelling from the Colonial Zone. There was another slum that I was warned against going to(seems all my girlfriends live in bad neighborhoods) which was northwest from the Colonial Zone on the western side of the Ozama river but I do not remember the name of this particular barrio. So here are my 2 questions-

1) Is there anywhere I can find a map of Santo Domingo here in New York City so that getting around won't be such a hassle?

2) Has anyone ever been to any of these slum areas in Santo Domingo? I just want to know a little bit more about some of these places aside from "Don't go There!!

The reasons?-Well, I may wind up having to visit a few of these neighborhoods that are off the beaten track and I want to know if it really is not worth the potential risk. I have a few friends that want to drop stuff off to their families and I may be amenable to doing them the favor seeing as I go there often. And of course I may want to visit a girl or two(during the daytime, of course). If it helps any I speak fluent spanish, so I figured I may not be seen as a total gringo. And yes I will dress down for the event.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Berzin said:
While i was in Santo Domingo during Christmas I was talked out of travelling to Villa Mella to meet my girlfriends' parents (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxEdited by Tim H.). by the hotel clerk. He said it was too dangerous, especially walking around with a pretty dominican girl-I would stand out too much and would have become an obvious mark.

Now I don't know the capital that well, but from what I gather Villa Mella is to the norh if you are travelling from the Colonial Zone. There was another slum that I was warned against going to(seems all my girlfriends live in bad neighborhoods) which was northwest from the Colonial Zone on the western side of the Ozama river but I do not remember the name of this particular barrio. So here are my 2 questions-

1) Is there anywhere I can find a map of Santo Domingo here in New York City so that getting around won't be such a hassle?

2) Has anyone ever been to any of these slum areas in Santo Domingo? I just want to know a little bit more about some of these places aside from "Don't go There!!

The reasons?-Well, I may wind up having to visit a few of these neighborhoods that are off the beaten track and I want to know if it really is not worth the potential risk. I have a few friends that want to drop stuff off to their families and I may be amenable to doing them the favor seeing as I go there often. And of course I may want to visit a girl or two(during the daytime, of course). If it helps any I speak fluent spanish, so I figured I may not be seen as a total gringo. And yes I will dress down for the event.
Thanks in advance.
I go to Villa Mella a couple of times a year. My "babies momma" parents live there. The area is very poor but I never felt unsafe. I always have a good time there. I'm going there on the 19th of this month. About three years ago I saw two gun battles in Villa Mella. They were about 15 minutes apart. These are the only cases of violence that I was exposed too. These incidents were very late at night and were over women (isolated incidents). I am a gringo and speak very little Spanish and I get treated fine by everyone. I don't believe anyone will mess with you either.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Get yourself an accurate street map when you get down here, and know where your going. I walk through the barrios frequently, and haven't had a problem yet. Once in a while I get a feeling that I'm being sized up, but I don't believe I'm perceived as an easy target. The areas you've mentioned are poor, but alot of good people live in these neighborhoods and during the day it's pretty much business as usual. The areas I avoid are those streets directly adjacent to the tourist areas, that's where the true predators lurk. The thugs aren't really expecting you to show up on their home turf. No reason to be paranoid down here, I used to work in the projects in NYC and it's more about how you carry yourself than anything else. Of course, things can happen anywhere, so be aware of your surroundings, but showing fear is a self fulfiling prophecy.

Berzin said:

Thanks in advance.

I have just one question to you, Would you visit a (XXXXXXX Edited by Tim H.)family in the US or wherever your from??? Why would you want to do that?
Badpiece

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Edited by Tim H.
No problem, it just does not fit the post any more.

Thanks Tim H.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Why Not???

MerengueDutchie said:
Interesting question.. but then again why not? It might be a good opp to see how real dominicans (albeit from the lower social echelons) live..[/QUOTE

Because even the people that LIVE there tell you not to go . Barrios such as Cristo Rey, Los Minas, etc. have many people there that are looking for this very type of opportunity, an outsider, tourist, ready to be taken. If the very people that live in these barrios, (decent, honest people) that get robbed and mugged every day, are vulnerable, what would make you think you can get off the gua gua and walk around their streets?? Did you ever hear the term "street smarts"?
I guess as a New Yorker (as Badpiece is ) we have learned the hard way about "street smarts')

Cuidado,

JOHNE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I could be way off on this

But isn't Villa Mella where the Congos are? This is a UNESCO Cultural Landmark and their traditions go back hundreds of years.

I would certainly think that daytime travel to these areas would be reasonably safe, unless you are (a) Walking down the street shivering like a wet puppy,(b) Dressed is shorts-a sure sign you are gay and on the prowl-especially in the these neighborhoods or (c) wearing your Rolex Presidential, your Gucci shades and the Armani slacks and the big, thick, gold chain with your name on it (and not packing a barely hidden Glock):D.

FYI Villa Mella is rarely mentioned in the papers as a gang infested place, and taking gifts to families is always a good "in" . It will be an interesting experience. Ask about Mr. Brazoban-he is the leader of the Congos, right there by the park..

HB :D:D

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
My unprofessional opinion...

I was thinking same as Hillbilly. I have walked the streets of Villa Mella. That is not one of the worst areas in SD.

There are those who will see you and would love to rob you but they will not do it...unless you look like you are asking for it...wearing a big gold chain. For one thing, they don't know who you are. You could be a drug agent.

Furthermore, robbers usually will go into another area other than their own to do their dirty work and usually that area will be where they can find plenty of victims for a quick snatch and run. That is why my wife will not walk alone to the colmado at night here in my area. and when she is walking during the day....no jewelry.

It is my experience that dominicans are not the type to want to hurt you...they just want to get whatever they can from you. A thief is the same, he wants to rob you without hurting you. Perhaps...The difference is that in the USA a robber may also have been traumatized by society to the point of hating people. Here, you don't see a lot of hate.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Snuffy said:
I was thinking same as Hillbilly. I have walked the streets of Villa Mella. That is not one of the worst areas in SD.

There are those who will see you and would love to rob you but they will not do it...unless you look like you are asking for it...wearing a big gold chain. For one thing, they don't know who you are. You could be a drug agent.

Furthermore, robbers usually will go into another area other than their own to do their dirty work and usually that area will be where they can find plenty of victims for a quick snatch and run. That is why my wife will not walk alone to the colmado at night here in my area. and when she is walking during the day....no jewelry.

It is my experience that dominicans are not the type to want to hurt you...they just want to get whatever they can from you. A thief is the same, he wants to rob you without hurting you. Perhaps...The difference is that in the USA a robber may also have been traumatized by society to the point of hating people. Here, you don't see a lot of hate.
I can't stand it when I traumatize some piece of $hit into hating me.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Ask for info is Great!

But keep the references to working girls and the likes, to a minimum.

I'm going back to edit the stuff out of the posts.
And if you feel the need to go in that direction, we have other Forums for you to post in.

Thanks
Tim H.
:smoke:

Mongoose

Jan 30, 2004
Hi i lived in the barrio of buenos aires in herrera for a year and never had any real problems other than the usual calling out to you in the street but most was in good humor. There were of course the usual riots over power supply etc and the odd fight as as already been mentioned over women and drugs.
The people living in the barrios that i know are extremly friendly and welcoming if you visit with a purpose and not just to stare and comment on their poverty.

Go with good reason and enjoy

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Naufrago said:
Get yourself an accurate street map when you get down here, and know where your going. I walk through the barrios frequently, and haven't had a problem yet. Once in a while I get a feeling that I'm being sized up, but I don't believe I'm perceived as an easy target. The areas you've mentioned are poor, but alot of good people live in these neighborhoods and during the day it's pretty much business as usual. The areas I avoid are those streets directly adjacent to the tourist areas, that's where the true predators lurk. The thugs aren't really expecting you to show up on their home turf. No reason to be paranoid down here, I used to work in the projects in NYC and it's more about how you carry yourself than anything else. Of course, things can happen anywhere, so be aware of your surroundings, but showing fear is a self fulfiling prophecy.

I agree with Naufrago.
Berzin, it seems like you go prepared, it shouldn't be a problem during daytime.
Better of course if you can go accompanied by your girl. Make sure you have the correct address for the taxidriver, or the exact drop-off point if you are going by public transport. Beware that addresses can be very hard to find in these places, there is not much logic in street names in slums, old house numbers still in place, etc. I bought my SD city map in SD but don't expect to find a map to show the exact layout of a slum.
I have been trying to go to Villa Mella's son dancehalls (Palacio del Son, etc) at night but taxidrivers from SD are reluctant to go there since it's so far out and they will not have return passengers so they will overcharge. I didn't go because I didn't know how to get transport back to town. From what I have read, Villa Mella should be a pretty laid back place with Congo festivals as HB writes.
The other place you were told not to go is maybe Villa Consuelo or Los Mina but that one is on the east bank of the river.
Another way that dominicans often use to deliver parcels to their family is to tell their family in which hotel you are staying and then the family comes to pick it up at reception of your hotel. It saves you the trouble of finding the address and them the embarrassment of showing you in which conditions their family or friends live.
Bartolomeo

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
jruane44 said:
I can't stand it when I traumatize some piece of $hit into hating me.

I was not referring to outlaws specifically. It is a known fact that US culture breeds trauma. Guy walks into his workplace and blows everyone away. In American society it is very easy to become isolated and isolation can create all kinds of mental and emotional instability. Here in the DR...it is much more difficult to become isolated. Here society is more extroverted. Neighborhoods are more open.

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Villa Mella is ok

My wife lives in probably the poorest area of Villa Mella. The people there are the same as anywhere else. Lots of nice friendlies and a few major problems. Her brother points out the neighborhood rats. If your instincts lead you to trust the person go ahead and go-- only go with them. As mentioned in other posts you'll probably never find the place and it is certainly safer. There are some nice areas and markets etc. there. Its not all slums.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I have spent lots of time walking around the poorest of the poor areas in MANY cities and towns in the DR. And I have never had anybody so much as look at me in a threatening way.
I am sure you, or anybody else would be fine.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Ask for info is Great!

Just so no one can say they missed it from the 1st page of posts.
1 more time....

But keep the references to working girls and the likes, to a minimum.

I'm going back to edit the stuff out of the posts.
And if you feel the need to go in that direction, we have other Forums for you to post in.

Thanks
Tim H.
:smoke:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I stand out as much as anyone could, a 6'3, 60 year old gringo with glasses with a librarian's chain because I keep loosing them. My girlfriend used to live in the worst part of Sabana Perdida, a pretty rough area of SD. I felt safe and never had a problem, but she believes that I was not and probably knew more than she told me. It is like the projects in NY, full of wonderful people and plenty of criminals as well. Stick to the daytime and populated areas, and it's like visiting the South Bronx. - D

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
My girlfriend used to live in the worst part of Sabana Perdida, a pretty rough area of SD

Actually, I've noticed that the seediest neighborhoods are the safest, which I attribute to strong community solidarity, plus there's really nothing worthwhile to attract the attention of those friendly to someone elses property. However, you do need to exercise a certain attitude and demeanor in order to not inspire hostility.

Mirador

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
badpiece33 said:
I have just one question to you, Would you visit a (XXXXXXX Edited by Tim H.)family in the US or wherever your from??? Why would you want to do that?
Badpiece

The portion that was edited was more of a little joke than anything else, but to answer your question yes I would visit the girls' parents if they lived in a bad neighborhood in the US. I speak to them over the phone alot and they are always asking me when I will visit them. So I want to fit this in the next time I go.

I also have a few friends who want me to take stuff to their families. I can't just say no when a friend asks me to deliver a new baseball glove to his son when I know what baseball means to dominican kids. So the kid is getting his glove. I also took the time to get stuff for a few of his close friends so that they don't feel left out. I've already met them when I went to the Colonial Zone so I don't feel that this in inappropriate. Nothing wrong with putting a smile on a kids' face.

It is just hard trying to get detailed answers from some hotel clerks about some of these areas. I guess they mean well but for some reason it seems as if they try to scare people off the beaten tourist track, which quite frankly I am a little tired of at this point.

I also want to show the parents of this particular girl that I am what I am, a real person who has a genuine interest in their daughter. If the relationship blows up in my face for whatever reason later on down the road at least I tried. I've told her a million times that I know she is poor but I don't care about that. So we'll see what happens.

Last edited: