DR for the first time!

pepe1895

Jan 31, 2005
Hi all,

This is my first post, since I just joined the community - what a great source of information!

My husband and I are traveling to DR for the first time in February. We are staying at AI's; Barcelo Punta Goleta and Barcelo Talanquera in Juan Dolio.

I have heard both good and bad stuff about those 2 resorts as about AI's in general. We have stayed at an AI once before in Mexico but have also traveled a lot on our own in countries like Mexico, Bolivia, Peru and Brazil. I speak Spanish which of course is a huge advantage!

The reason that we chose AI's this time is that we more than anything want to relax on the beach and go snorkeling and scuba diving. This is part of a month long vacation in the Caribbean and we just didn't want to have to look for somewhere to stay every night...and I don't think we have too high expectations...

Any thoughts? Comments? Are we making a mistake by staying at AI's?

I would also like some recommendations for:

1. Scuba diving around Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Sousa
2. Scuba diving around Juan Dolio, Boca Chica
3. Hiking (day trips) around the above areas

We are both experienced divers (have all the gear except the tanks), don't mind some tough hiking if it's worth our while and in general appreciate getting to know new people/cultures. Anything else that's on your must-see or must-do list that you'd like to share with us?

Thanks!
Pepe

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
If you're into diving you might want to make a detour to Samana and dive of the coast.. it's very nice.. Sosua, Cabarete and POP are not highly recommend in terms of diving.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
pepe1895 said:
2. Scuba diving around Juan Dolio, Boca Chica
3. Hiking (day trips) around the above areas

We are both experienced divers (have all the gear except the tanks), don't mind some tough hiking if it's worth our while and in general appreciate getting to know new people/cultures. Anything else that's on your must-see or must-do list that you'd like to share with us?

Thanks!
Pepe
Don't know if Talanquera has a Dive Shop but I know is one next door at "Metro Hotel". You will find more local info there.

Do a search on Google for "Casa Daniel" Dive Shop in Bayahibe, great people, they know of a few good spots.

Good luck
WebDev

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since you like to get around

You might like to go to Montecristi and dive there. I have heard that there are some French and Italians there that are doing interesting things.

In Sos?a there is a good dive shop, according to DR1 sources.

Enjoy your vacation, I think you will.

HB

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Boca Chica Dives

There are at least 3 dive companies in BC. Orca Divers at one end of the beach. another in the middle and another at the east end. I think there may be links under bocachicabeach.net.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Northern Coast Dive Shop in SOSUA

http://www.northerncoastdiving.com/company2.html

There is a great dive shop in SOSUA to partake in any diving excursions. It is called Northern Coast Diving. The owner's name is Brad and his wife Patricia. They have been in business there since 1988. There must be a reason why this shop has been doing so well in SOSUA for years! They and their staff will be more then happy to help you!

Last edited: