BBC article about Dominicans in NYC

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
It seems like old news to me, lots of Dominicans are still going to NYC, but all of our Dominican Friends have already fled to the Suburbs of Long Island, New Jersey, and Florida. Buying Houses and following the path upward to a better lifestyle than the struggle and congestion of NYC. Just like my grandparents did 50 years ago.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Naufrago

While agree that for many of us our presence is "old news" I think you are missing the point of the article. The issue at hand is that the NYC government issued a report about the "new faces" in New York. The demographic landscape of New York City, as compared to in the turn of last century, has dramatically changed in complexion but not in its essence.

That is the true beauty reflected in the article. It is Dominicans, Chinese, Mexicans, Bangladeshies, Ecadorians, Africans, etc. that are the overwhelmingly "new faces" AND not Italians, Irish, Germans, etc. As the author states, New York City was at least 70% white, now it is only 30%.

While I agree that Dominicans are migrating out, the article is not at all about migratory patterns of Dominicans. So I really don't see the relevance of your point with respect to this article.

Best,
Naufrago said:
It seems like old news to me, lots of Dominicans are still going to NYC, but all of our Dominican Friends have already fled to the Suburbs of Long Island, New Jersey, and Florida. Buying Houses and following the path upward to a better lifestyle than the struggle and congestion of NYC. Just like my grandparents did 50 years ago.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Nice article

This is an inspiring article. I like the feel that it offers to it and the fact the immigrant community is changing and becoming more diverse. Indeed the face of NY today is not what it was compared to the sixties due to the massive influx of immigrants from all over the world. The Dominican population still makes up the largest foreign group in the NYC and greater area but the presence of other ethnicities is completely visible. I personally find Astoria, Queens an interesting area however, I felt more the presence of Colombians rather than the other groups mentioned. All in all, I love ethnic diversity. A positive sign.

-Lesley D-

Last edited:

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
deelt said:
Naufrago

The issue at hand is that the NYC government issued a report about the "new faces" in New York...It is Dominicans, Chinese, Mexicans, Bangladeshies, Ecadorians, Africans, etc. that are the overwhelmingly "new faces" AND not Italians, Irish, Germans, etc. As the author states, New York City was at least 70% white, now it is only 30%...I really don't see the relevance of your point with respect to this article.

Best,

Sorry, but one of my pet peeves are the obvious and stupid government reports that are released and repeated by the media. Big Deal! New York is no longer predominantly White. Maybe this is news to someone who is shocked or dismayed by such news, but the ebb and flow of immigrants into and out of NYC goes back to the 1600's. Tell me, Chinese people are moving into NYC :eek:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I am glad that we can find common ground in acknowledging that NYC has had a rich but turbulent history. However, with all do respect, I don't think you are really appreciating the meaning of this in terms of political representation given NYC's demographics. And that's okay since you have every right to ignore.

The way I see it you are taking way too much for granted. Chinese people have been in NYC for over 100 years like many other immigrants. It has only been until recently that they have been able to gain political representation. Dominicans in bulk numbers have only been in NYC for 30 years and have been able to gain at least 6 political reps in NYC. This is not only historical but unprecendented in NYC's history for people of color. The fact is that Dominicans were able to successfully fight the redistricting process, to create their own district. This is not only truly phenomenal, its historical. This report is a public acknowledgement of all this.

You can choose to ignore all that. It is your choice. It is your right.

I, for one, do appreciate the history of Gotham and am proud of our role in it.
Much work is still to be done, but this is a start.

Best.

Naufrago said:
Sorry, but one of my pet peeves are the obvious and stupid government reports that are released and repeated by the media. Big Deal! New York is no longer predominantly White. Maybe this is news to someone who is shocked or dismayed by such news, but the ebb and flow of immigrants into and out of NYC goes back to the 1600's. Tell me, Chinese people are moving into NYC :eek:

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Everyone knows New York is and always be a big melting pot and one of the gateways of immigration of the U.S.A .I feel that its an incredible city , amazing in many ways.The architecture of the high rises and as well as the old neighborhoods are beautiful (in my opinion) im into architecture and its what i live to see when i go to nyc (not to take anything away from other cities). I dont got to New York often but i wish i did .I ve lived in Jersey almost my entire life and i ve been to nyc about less than 30 times,lol,notice how ive kept count .

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
I really liked the artical thanks (chirimoya)!

My father arrived at NYC 40 years ago. He left behind a family he loved aand a country fighting for an identity through an armed conflict. He arrived to a city where your boss was always a white male immigrant. Now that is no longer the case. The change in NYC is superficial because in the heart of every New Yorker, there is the same drive that all immigrant communities have had. I think that is what the artical spells out.

The face of New York has changed, but not its heart. It is still the driving force of the most wonderfull and colorfull place on this planet.