Going rate for electricity??

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
I am getting charged at 10.22 RD/KWh for my december bill. Is this the going rate or am I getting ripped off. Trying to control costs, which are running much more than before.

Thanks for any help.

ecarignan

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ecarignan said:
I am getting charged at 10.22 RD/KWh for my december bill. Is this the going rate or am I getting ripped off. Trying to control costs, which are running much more than before.

For how many KWh. I believe the number of hours consumed has an efffect on the rate you are charged. Also, is this the rate charged you by Edenorte or the complex in which you live?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I live in a gated residential community developed by a hotel that has emergency generator service and I pay about RD$ 8 per KWh. However, they also hit me with expensive administration fees of US$120 p. month for all utilities administration.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I live in Santiago...

and that sounds high to me. Let me check. I have my September bill in front of me... First 200 kwh is 2.87 RD per Kwh. Next 100 Kwh is 3.62. Next 129 is 6.26.
So unless rates have moved substantially higher it sounds like you are getting ripped.

If that were the case for me...my electric bill would be 4384 RD. Considering we don't have electricity 24/7, the hot water tank is 10 gallons, we cook with gas... that would be a crazy price to pay.

Damn that air conditioning bites.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Conchman said:
I live in a gated residential community developed by a hotel that has emergency generator service and I pay about RD$ 8 per KWh. However, they also hit me with expensive administration fees of US$120 p. month for all utilities administration.

How do they justify that....120 USD per month for utilities admin. What are they doing running the generator with a Boeing 747? So someone has to flip the switch and put gasoil in it...how hard is that. That sounds way out of line. Are you sure everyone else is paying that?

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
To answer Ken's question. This particular month was quite high (1512 KWh) but it's pretty much always the same going rate regardless of consumption. This is the charge from Casa Linda, not Edenorte. I just find it's costing me a fortune in electricity lately. Want to see what others outside gated communities are paying.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Snuffy said:
How do they justify that....120 USD per month for utilities admin. What are they doing running the generator with a Boeing 747? So someone has to flip the switch and put gasoil in it...how hard is that. That sounds way out of line. Are you sure everyone else is paying that?

They justify it that they have to run the following utilities:

1) landscaping common areas
2) electricity common areas
3) road upkeep common areas
4) security
5) water and sewerage
6) cable tv
7) electricity

Now they have monthly charges for these services but they charge me an additional US$120 to 'administrate' everything.

I have always assumed that if I dont pay, these services will be cu toff but I wonder if I have any rights as the total paid used to be US$150 for everything, now it adds up to about US$800.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Conchman said:
They justify it that they have to run the following utilities:

1) landscaping common areas
2) electricity common areas
3) road upkeep common areas
4) security
5) water and sewerage
6) cable tv
7) electricity

Now they have monthly charges for these services but they charge me an additional US$120 to 'administrate' everything.

I have always assumed that if I dont pay, these services will be cu toff but I wonder if I have any rights as the total paid used to be US$150 for everything, now it adds up to about US$800.

Do you mind sharing the name of this community and whether other gated or so called gated communities are similar...thanks