Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default VoIP in the DR? Where to buy the Hardware?

Hi @ll,

I would like to profit once more from your good knollege in the DR1 Forum

I'm on the hunt for VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocoll) Hardware in Santo Domingo. Especial I'm looking for Analog-to-Network Adapter such as the ATA HandyTone 286 from Grandstream but anything other would be also welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you will find these things in the DR due to strict regulations.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Regulations?

Ok, this is not the first time I have seen this posted, can someone elaborate further on what these regulations are? I am currently experimenting with two snom linux powered VoIP phones, but they were imported from Germany. However if subsequent testing proves successful then an official distributor will be established in this country.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It obviously works, but if you set up an actual store selling them expect to be sued by Verizon and its competitors. There have been no legal battles over the technology in the DR.

However, in the DR this sort of "initial" industry usually plays itself out via bribes to government officials.....you vs the threatened existing company/ies. If you are willing to give a set amount of money to someone in a very high place, you'll likely be safe.......at least for the current administration.

That being said, VoIP isn't as useful in the DR since computers aren't prevalent. Also most can't afford DSL, and the electricity is always off. The electricity being the largest problem.......if any of your electricity/computer/DSL aren't working.....you have no phone.
    Last edited by GilbertArenas; 02-06-2005 at 01:20 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GilbertArenas
    It obviously works, but if you set up an actual store selling them expect to be sued by Verizon and its competitors. There have been no legal battles over the technology in the DR.

However, in the DR this sort of "initial" industry usually plays itself out via bribes to government officials.....you vs the threatened existing company/ies. If you are willing to give a set amount of money to someone in a very high place, you'll likely be safe.......at least for the current administration.

That being said, VoIP isn't as useful in the DR since computers aren't prevalent. Also most can't afford DSL, and the electricity is always off. The electricity being the largest problem.......if any of your electricity/computer/DSL aren't working.....you have no phone.
    Gilbert...electricity should not be a problem as I use my Vonage on a regular basis with my inverter backup. But it should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy
    Gilbert...electricity should not be a problem as I use my Vonage on a regular basis with my inverter backup. But it should be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Also, how do you plan on making money reselling the hardware? In the US the Vonage box sells for only 9.99 via Vonage. Considering they're already taking a hit on the hardware to make it up via subscriptions, I can't imagine it would leave any decent cut for you? Possibly 10% at most?

So you would have to sell huge volumes to make up your initial investment. That is where you'll run into trouble. But good luck, it's certainly a booming industry. You're an early mover for a 3rd world country.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where did I say...

that I wont to provide such a service to the public???

But I know some client who are interested to use VoIP for there personal use and need the relevant hardware which don't seem to be available here in the DR. I don't like to order it in the US or Germany simply for the reason of warranty and the cost of shipping.

It would be much more helpful if someone just would answer my question and not make suggestions about my intended use. I think I'm old enough to know what I wont and why.

Sorry if this sound a bit rude but I asked a simple question and did not try to discuss my intended use

Stefan

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not available here.
    You will need to order this from the USA or a country that has the equipment you need.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A headsup on this service....

Quote Originally Posted by FarOut
    that I wont to provide such a service to the public???

But I know some client who are interested to use VoIP for there personal use and need the relevant hardware which don't seem to be available here in the DR. I don't like to order it in the US or Germany simply for the reason of warranty and the cost of shipping.

It would be much more helpful if someone just would answer my question and not make suggestions about my intended use. I think I'm old enough to know what I wont and why.

Sorry if this sound a bit rude but I asked a simple question and did not try to discuss my intended use

Stefan
    I use VoiP service through Vonage in the US at home and work. I love the service. I ordered another adapter and sent it to my father in the DR to try out. However, neither him nor I could get it to work. He is using DSL in Santo Domingo. I brought the adapter back with me to the US and it worked fine. Hope you have better lluck then we did.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw several people using it successfully @Rocky's my last visit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast