VoIP in the DR? Where to buy the Hardware?

FarOut

Jul 26, 2004
Hi @ll,

I would like to profit once more from your good knollege in the DR1 Forum ;)

I'm on the hunt for VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocoll) Hardware in Santo Domingo. Especial I'm looking for Analog-to-Network Adapter such as the ATA HandyTone 286 from Grandstream but anything other would be also welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
Regulations?

Ok, this is not the first time I have seen this posted, can someone elaborate further on what these regulations are? I am currently experimenting with two snom linux powered VoIP phones, but they were imported from Germany. However if subsequent testing proves successful then an official distributor will be established in this country.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
It obviously works, but if you set up an actual store selling them expect to be sued by Verizon and its competitors. There have been no legal battles over the technology in the DR.

However, in the DR this sort of "initial" industry usually plays itself out via bribes to government officials.....you vs the threatened existing company/ies. If you are willing to give a set amount of money to someone in a very high place, you'll likely be safe.......at least for the current administration.

That being said, VoIP isn't as useful in the DR since computers aren't prevalent. Also most can't afford DSL, and the electricity is always off. The electricity being the largest problem.......if any of your electricity/computer/DSL aren't working.....you have no phone.

Last edited:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
GilbertArenas said:
It obviously works, but if you set up an actual store selling them expect to be sued by Verizon and its competitors. There have been no legal battles over the technology in the DR.

However, in the DR this sort of "initial" industry usually plays itself out via bribes to government officials.....you vs the threatened existing company/ies. If you are willing to give a set amount of money to someone in a very high place, you'll likely be safe.......at least for the current administration.

That being said, VoIP isn't as useful in the DR since computers aren't prevalent. Also most can't afford DSL, and the electricity is always off. The electricity being the largest problem.......if any of your electricity/computer/DSL aren't working.....you have no phone.

Gilbert...electricity should not be a problem as I use my Vonage on a regular basis with my inverter backup. But it should be interesting to see how this plays out.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Snuffy said:
Gilbert...electricity should not be a problem as I use my Vonage on a regular basis with my inverter backup. But it should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Also, how do you plan on making money reselling the hardware? In the US the Vonage box sells for only 9.99 via Vonage. Considering they're already taking a hit on the hardware to make it up via subscriptions, I can't imagine it would leave any decent cut for you? Possibly 10% at most?

So you would have to sell huge volumes to make up your initial investment. That is where you'll run into trouble. But good luck, it's certainly a booming industry. You're an early mover for a 3rd world country.

FarOut

Jul 26, 2004
Where did I say...

that I wont to provide such a service to the public???

But I know some client who are interested to use VoIP for there personal use and need the relevant hardware which don't seem to be available here in the DR. I don't like to order it in the US or Germany simply for the reason of warranty and the cost of shipping.

It would be much more helpful if someone just would answer my question and not make suggestions about my intended use. I think I'm old enough to know what I wont and why.

Sorry if this sound a bit rude but I asked a simple question and did not try to discuss my intended use ;)

Stefan

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's not available here.
You will need to order this from the USA or a country that has the equipment you need.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
A headsup on this service....

FarOut said:
that I wont to provide such a service to the public???

But I know some client who are interested to use VoIP for there personal use and need the relevant hardware which don't seem to be available here in the DR. I don't like to order it in the US or Germany simply for the reason of warranty and the cost of shipping.

It would be much more helpful if someone just would answer my question and not make suggestions about my intended use. I think I'm old enough to know what I wont and why.

Sorry if this sound a bit rude but I asked a simple question and did not try to discuss my intended use ;)

Stefan

I use VoiP service through Vonage in the US at home and work. I love the service. I ordered another adapter and sent it to my father in the DR to try out. However, neither him nor I could get it to work. He is using DSL in Santo Domingo. I brought the adapter back with me to the US and it worked fine. Hope you have better lluck then we did.

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
sorry if I took this thread away from topic a little. We are looking at a system for retailing the hardware and a top-up system by which you buy pre-pay minutes at a store. This is all a long way off at the moment I'm afraid. I work for a telecommunications company here (a very large one) and have had a few discussions with some of the company lawyers. It does seem this is quite a grey area. I'm sure most people are aware that most international call centers are using voip to keep costs down already.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Thats an interesting idea

wight-boy said:
sorry if I took this thread away from topic a little. We are looking at a system for retailing the hardware and a top-up system by which you buy pre-pay minutes at a store. This is all a long way off at the moment I'm afraid. I work for a telecommunications company here (a very large one) and have had a few discussions with some of the company lawyers. It does seem this is quite a grey area. I'm sure most people are aware that most international call centers are using voip to keep costs down already.

Thats a very interesting idea. I wonder what the startup costs on something like that would be. If and when you find the equipment to do it with.