Would it be possible?

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Message for the moderators really, - would it be possible to somehow identify everybody who posts a message as actually living here or not? - I thought this might help when advice is being dished out.

Just a thought.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Simon & Nicky said:
Message for the moderators really, - would it be possible to somehow identify everybody who posts a message as actually living here or not? - I thought this might help when advice is being dished out.

Just a thought.

Are you suggesting that people that do not live in the DR have nothing to contribute to this board?

Joe

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes it's possible, but no we would not implement it.
I cannot see how it's relevant? Lot's of people that do not live here full time still post very valuable DR related advice.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Posters frequently indicate where they live in their posts. And there is a thread now where people are indicating where they live. If anyone is interested in knowing where a particular poster lives, they probably have a pretty good idea by this time.

And like Robert says, it really doesn't make much difference.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
It does make a big difference. If a poster is making all kinds of statments about DR and only has been here for a week in his entire life (only in sosua), then whatever he says doesn't hold much water. We have had posters on this forum who went through lenghty discussions on DR issues and then in the end we had realized they had never even been to this island ex: goatfarmerGA. There are guys who will comment on DR culture yet they have only met resort workers in their past 2 vacations. there are folks who will generalize all dominicans as poor and wanting to go to USA even if they have to marry a 300 pounder heavy-weight, have only known either poor hookers from ghettos or sankies from same places. There are tons of folks on DR1 who don't have the slightest clue of what dominican republic is all about yet they are the first ones to give advice or criticize what other folks have to say. There are expats who live in gated communities of this island and have not lived 2 miles within reach of any dominican think they know dominican culure very well. these same people have been living here for 10 yrs and still don't speak more than 10 words of spanish.
So yes, its important to know who lives where and for how long. If you have been coming to this island as tourists and only have been to sosua and boca chica then obviously any thing that person has to say about santiago or la vega etc will most likely be all BS.
I hope i make my point clear.
AZB (living in santiago for 5 years and lived in puerto plata for 2 years and have been coming to this island as tourist since 1986).

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ken said:
Posters frequently indicate where they live in their posts. And there is a thread now where people are indicating where they live. If anyone is interested in knowing where a particular poster lives, they probably have a pretty good idea by this time.

And like Robert says, it really doesn't make much difference.

Where is that thread Ken ? Seems like I've missed it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
VBulletin has got a location field option, but as others have said, it would be meaningless in so many cases.

We have dozens of Dominican posters who happen to live outside the DR, or several non-Dominican posters like Keith, Jane J. and others who live away now but know the country in much greater detail than many of the expats living here now.

If you follow the forums you tend to get to know most of the posters' background so you can 'consider the source' while reading their posts.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just a wild guess...

Perhaps Simon refers to posters who offer advice about the country and have never even come here, even less lived here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rocky said:
Perhaps Simon refers to posters who offer advice about the country and have never even come here, even less lived here.

Well, the location field is discretional and optional, so if you were peddling BS you could put whatever you liked there. So it would make no difference.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Reply to AZB

A short time, twice-a-year sosua visitor like myself, would very much be interested whats going on in town, seen thru an outsiders point of view.

But that dosn't mean I woudn't enjoy reading your somewhat limited (not to say narrow minded) views of those beautiful 'chicas campesinas'.

x.