If you dont have enough income for K1 visa can you use someone elses income info?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
My cousin would like to bring his Dominican Fiance to the USA,but the problem is he is a 22 year old Student and supported by his parents.His parents claim him on their income tax as a dependent...
when asked for an affidavit of support can he just use his parents info?
since he is just a student?
or what can he do?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Great start to a succesful marriage being unable to meet the INS guidelines. Good luck.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Well, it can technically be done but......

ricktoronto said:
Great start to a succesful marriage being unable to meet the INS guidelines. Good luck.

I would strongly suggest:

1. You get married in the DR and apply for a K-3 or CR-1 visa.

2. That he find a job, even if part time, to show some income.

Even the K-1 is extremely hard to get if you don't know what you are doing. Hiring an immigration lawyer can be just as bad. Some really aren't knowlegable, and some don't really care how soon you see your wife/fiance. before he embarks on this project he shoudl read all he can on the process. If you make a mistake, it can take a looooong time to fix it, and can mean waiting years to see your loved one.

-Tim

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Go K1 it is much faster.

I speak from experience K1 is the way to go. Got my wife and youngest here on K1 took 6 mos. Had to send our youngest back for school and apply for the other 2 children on I130 it has been 1 year and 6 months and despite having approved petitions the Visa center has still not issued Visa's and says it will be another 3 more months before they even start to make interview appointments for petitions approved as of November 1, 2003. This means that they will begin to make the appointments in May and will issue only a limited number each month. I got this response despite having a senior US senator making inquires for us, and only because he put pressure on them to make the appointments ASAP. Good Luck! :glasses: