Another Shipping Question

Campesino

May 18, 2002
Hello to all. Can anyone please provide me names and contacts of shipping companies who do consolidated shipping from Santo Domingo to Canada? (Not FedEx, DHL, Mailboxes etc.) I will need to ship about 100 LBS a month to Toronto on a regular basis. I have read before here on DR1 that there are companines that ship regularly to NY, but I need to know if any ship to Toronto? If anyone has used or knows of a reputable company please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Campesino

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
UPS Air Freight (no it's not the same as regular UPS service, same ownership but different capabilities / freight) would get it there for about US$250. They are located at the Santo Domingo Air Cargo area. You will need a broker to do the documentation also. (extra cost)

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Shipping

I have used Overseas Courier Services (OCS) out of Toronto. They use air freight that goes to Puerto Plata where I pick it up at the airport. I have never had a problem with them and they come to the door for pick-up. I am not aware of the comparisons in prices but I have used this company twice.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
rendul said:
I have used Overseas Courier Services (OCS) out of Toronto. They use air freight that goes to Puerto Plata where I pick it up at the airport. I have never had a problem with them and they come to the door for pick-up. I am not aware of the comparisons in prices but I have used this company twice.

Cool. How much did you pay to ship it? and did you have to pay at the airport to customs.?

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
stallion said:
Cool. How much did you pay to ship it? and did you have to pay at the airport to customs.?

Our last shipment had 9 huge boxes and the total weight came to 487 kg which came to $1500.00 CAD. The first time we sent stuff were 5 huge boxes which came to $600.00 (but that was almost 3 years ago) and the weight was different. The Bills of Lading that we generated have to indicate new or used and cost. OCS then picks up the boxes and paperwork, take them back to their warehouse, weigh, measure and vacuum wrap the shipment.

We had a good friend at the airport with us. He negotiated the duties pricing with the airport staff (thank goodness he did) and we greased a few palms. Still, given the size of the shipment, they only managed to steal about $100 CAD worth of stuff from the shipment.

If you use OCS you can ask them to put the shipment on a flight that arrives early in the morning so that the customs staff don''t have time to steal the shipment and you can be there when it arrives.

Some little pearls of wisdom. Lived and learned! Good luck! ;)

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Thanks for sharing this with me. Did it arrive fast? How lomg did it take to get here.?

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
stallion said:
Thanks for sharing this with me. Did it arrive fast? How lomg did it take to get here.?

They use empty cargo space on Charter flights from Toronto. You can request when to have it there so that you can pick it up. We arranged for pick-up here a week ahead for delivery so that we could fly down in between and do the pick up at the airport. My understanding is they can get it out within a couple of days one they have done their thing with it. I used email and faxes to send the Bills of Lading to them.

They were very accommodating.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
rendul said:
They use empty cargo space on Charter flights from Toronto. You can request when to have it there so that you can pick it up. We arranged for pick-up here a week ahead for delivery so that we could fly down in between and do the pick up at the airport. My understanding is they can get it out within a couple of days one they have done their thing with it. I used email and faxes to send the Bills of Lading to them.

They were very accommodating.

Thank you. Good to know.