Does anyone know

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Does anyone know when entering DR on a tourist card what they can or will attempt to charge tax on at POP airport, or if there is anything they can take from you coming in.

I am asking because I plan to organize my residency once there but I am coming in with one other person and we have 5 - 6 very large suit cases with us. I am sure they will be opened and want to be ready for any problems.

I.E. lap top - oh,,,, and I packed my bag is vaccuum sealed compressor bags, has anyone done theat and had them opened? jejejejej that would be really bad then I will have enough stuff for 10 bags jejejejje.

But seriously any knowledge on what they can or will try to charge taxes on? Has anyone ever had customs try to take anything from them, what should I expect?

This is the most baggage I have ever come in with - I have never even had my bag opened, so I am worried

Any help on this issue would be great

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
First things first - have you checked with the airline to make sure you can take that much on board?

Second of all - taxes now that depends on what you brought with you and what is new and what is old and whose hands need to get greased.

One bit of advice is do not keep all your cahs in one spot when you get there. If they see you have alot of cash then the amount goes up. If it gets to the point where they are trying to get alot out of you then push them to show you all the prices per item. If they say $20 or some number like that give it and be happy.

SLowman

Sep 9, 2004
Grease the Right Guy

Very good advice AJ. I recently tried to fly with alot of baggage and was told there is a limit of two checked bags, one carry on and one personal type carry on, like purse, backpack, briefcase. I literally had to overstuff two suitcases with three suitcases worth of stuff right there at the ticket counter.

At the POP end, though, they opened a suitcase, saw a VCR and took my stuff and me to a room at the side. Once in there, they started to ask me how much was the VCR worth. I proceeded to pull out my cellphone and told them to hold on for a minute while I made a call. It took a total of about 5 seconds before one of them said $10 and no problem. I paid the money, put my cellphone away, and one of them actually carried my bags out for me!! Other times, I have walked confidently right through without making eye contact, and no one even asked me to stop to check my baggage. And even other times I have been told right at the main baggage check, "$10, No Check".

The moral of the story is, it all depends on how you are perceived and who you pay. If you start asking them for things like documentation on the taxes for things, and maybe ask for a supervisor (if it gets that far) they usually get the message and let you go.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Hi
I just flew in to POP from YYZ on saturday. I am here to stay for a while. The best thing to do is put all your stuff in a suitcase rather than boxes. Because they will check the boxes to see what is in them. However put all you stuff in a suitcase, they tend to not check suitcase. Personally i flew in with 5 large suitcase. I did not have any problems in POP, just walked out the doors un harresed. However the charter airline will kill you with execces luggage weight. YOu are looking at $5 each kill over your 22 kill limit. I was asked to pay $350 dollars. Put with my experience i got away with paying $150. All I told the airline was that some of the stuff were Donations. Good luck.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
First thing is to check with the airline about the amount and weight each bag can be. Some airlines have the "2 bags at 50 lbs each no more rule" others have the "pay a little more you can bring a little more rule" It is better to find out before getting to the airport.

And one thing my mother did do the air packing of pillows and towels. They had no problem opening them up but were not going to help her put them back. She did get some help from one of the Maleteros who was an acquaintance of mine. But then again their faces were priceless when the pillows came out looking like the old joke can of peanuts.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
:)

:nervous: Thanks for all the advice

We are flying American Airlines and are allowed 2 checkins each (2people x 2) and $100 USD per extra bag to a max of 3 extra each. Oh and 70 lbs per/bag.

Now there are 2 of us and we have 5 large 30inc bages all weighing 70 lbs, all suit cases.

I am most concerned about what will happen trying to leave POP airport. If something happened. We have stuff like lap top, camcorder, dig cam. and then living stuff like george forman grill and bedding, pots etc...

I am happy to hear Stallion got through with 5 bags on his own. We have 5 between 2. Oh I also worried because my friend is a hot blonde and I will not be able to make it through without attracting attention jejejejeje.

So the general consensus is I can talk my way around it? I am nervous :nervous:

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
One more bit of advice - don't look nervous. Act as though you are tourist there for the first time. This is one time when playing up the dumb tourist can work to your advantage. Just don't keep it going if they try to charge you.

Nov 5, 2004
A.J. said:
One more bit of advice - don't look nervous. Act as though you are tourist there for the first time. This is one time when playing up the dumb tourist can work to your advantage. Just don't keep it going if they try to charge you.

Question...where at the Puerto Plata airport do they stop you with your baggage if they want to look through it?? Is it thoes guys standing at the doors before you get outside?

I have NEVER had them look through anything...or seen them stop anyone. And I have had one time 4 huge suitcases....

Maybe its because as soon I get my suitcases I am off so fast out the door to see Carlos, that they dont have time to stop me..lol ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
To tell about a recent experience coming through the Santo Domingo airport....

Just went through Las Americas Airport last week. Was arriving on the Iberia flight from Madrid and between husband and I we had three suitcases (was bringing back lots of brochures and booklets from a travel fair), plus all the winter clothes. We were waved through without even having to put our bags on the counter or through the X ray machine. We could have brought in anything.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
If you are flying with a schedulled airline like AA you are subject to search. The only people that get away without being searched are people arriving on charter airline from canada. Good luck.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
At Puerto Plata it is right before the doors where the super market things are. They have people walking around and may be eyeing certain people for examining their luggage. There is a room to the right of the outside doors that has the paperwork and other things if they decide to "leglly" charge you.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004

PeachezNcream84 said:
Question...where at the Puerto Plata airport do they stop you with your baggage if they want to look through it?? Is it thoes guys standing at the doors before you get outside?

I have NEVER had them look through anything...or seen them stop anyone. And I have had one time 4 huge suitcases....

Maybe its because as soon I get my suitcases I am off so fast out the door to see Carlos, that they dont have time to stop me..lol ;)

Laughing my *** up at you tearing out the door to see your boyfriend ;)

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004

I will say I hope I dont have to go through this

We are 2 young ladies with ALOT of clothing - everything is in those vacu seal bags and the rest is stuff to live

If they really go thorugh my stuff I am going to have more things then what I can get back in my luggage

Maybe I'll pack some garbage bags - Hey are those guys that help with the bags in the airport or out side or inside?

For once I am going to need them :)

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Bring the bags. Hefty extra tuff.

Sometimes it is the maleteros whose hands you need to grease. My Dad has one he likes 10 bucks and they never check his bags. Even if there is a vacum cleaner in it.

Use your girlfriends looks too. My friends always did that for me - "Hey A.J. play the dumb tourist and look a little helpless" Of course that only worked the first 10 times coming in. After that I had the Maleteros and the airport staff saying hello I got checked.