Travelling to Puerto Rico

BisouBisou

Feb 4, 2005
Hello. My boyfriend and I would like to take a trip to Puerto Rico. I had a few questions about the procedures for Dominicans who would like to vacation in Puerto Rico.

Do Dominicans require a VISA to vacation in Puerto Rico? If so, is it easy to get? What is the procedure for applying? Assuming one must go to the Puerto Rican Embassy, where is it located. Are there any travel agencies or other organizations that you could recommend in Santo Domingo that could help my boyfriend in the application process.

I know there are a lot of questions. I really appreciate any responces. Personal stories. Websites (Preferably in English.) If you need any clarifications, I would be happy to oblidge. Thank you!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, a visa is required for Puerto Rico. It is very difficult to get. You go to the US Consulate in Santo Domingo. Unless your boy friend has a very good job and assets in the DR, something that will insure his return to the DR, you should think about vacationing somewhere that does not require a US visa.

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Visas

Visa Requirements for Puerto Rico are the same as for the USA..so like the previous poster said..unless your boyfriend is well off,has good job,car,money in the bank,property and/or business in his name...his chances are very low in getting a visa...so if he doesnt fit the bill...dont waist your time and money in applying for one
invest that money in A)visiting a island that doesnt requiere visas for dominicans like Cuba,Bermuda,St Vincent,Barbados
or B) a Caribean country that gives visas fairly easy like Jamaica,Bahamas,Curcao ext ext

Best of luck

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Do a search

BisouBisou said:
Hello. My boyfriend and I would like to take a trip to Puerto Rico. I had a few questions about the procedures for Dominicans who would like to vacation in Puerto Rico.

Do Dominicans require a VISA to vacation in Puerto Rico? If so, is it easy to get? What is the procedure for applying? Assuming one must go to the Puerto Rican Embassy, where is it located. Are there any travel agencies or other organizations that you could recommend in Santo Domingo that could help my boyfriend in the application process.

I know there are a lot of questions. I really appreciate any responces. Personal stories. Websites (Preferably in English.) If you need any clarifications, I would be happy to oblidge. Thank you!!!

entering the word "yola"!

BisouBisou

Feb 4, 2005
Thank you Ken and JC171 for the advice. I will let my boyfriend know about his options for travelling to Puerto Rico. Thank you for suggestiong other countries too. I actually have a friend in Jamaica who might be able to help me plan a vacation there. I was also curious about Trinidad and Tabago. If you know anything else, I would be happy to hear from you. Thank you again!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
By the way since it was not abundantly clear why it is "the same as" the USA for the visa and so forth, Puerto Rico IS the USA.

Keep in mind with your Dominican friend if you try to go somewhere else that is not a non stop flight from the DR (and damn few places are non stop) you cannot CONNECT (well he can't) in the USA either. You might connect in Cuba or Panama.

So no flights to Bermuda (which I am not sure will allow a DR citizen without a visa frankly) via Miami.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If you are American the problem with going to Cuba would be you, not him. Otherwise it could be a good option. I believe there are direct flights to Curacao as well.

I can understand wanting a "getaway" with your novio, but I'm not sure all this trouble and expense would be necessary. If he's like most Dominicans I know, there are probably plenty of great destinations in the DR he's never visited.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
sweetdbt said:
If you are American the problem with going to Cuba would be you, not him. Otherwise it could be a good option. I believe there are direct flights to Curacao as well.

Keep in mind the Cubans welcome Americans, won't stamp their passports if asked, and like their money (though you have to change it now to these miserable tourist pesos) as much as anyone else's.

It is the US Government with the hangup.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Keep in mind the Cubans welcome Americans, won't stamp their passports if asked, and like their money (though you have to change it now to these miserable tourist pesos) as much as anyone else's.

It is the US Government with the hangup.

All true, and I personally feel the travel ban is counterproductive. I also know there are plenty of Americans who have circumvented it, some through the DR. I'd love to go there sometime, but I have this little hangup about obeying laws, even if I don't agree with them, so for now I'll wait. The old man can't live forever.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Agreed.....

Ken said:
Yes, a visa is required for Puerto Rico. It is very difficult to get. You go to the US Consulate in Santo Domingo. Unless your boy friend has a very good job and assets in the DR, something that will insure his return to the DR, you should think about vacationing somewhere that does not require a US visa.

Sorry, ain't gonna happen, and if by chance he does have assets or can prove his return, it could be 5 YEARS until it is issued. Choose another destination. I think even Mexico will give him a visa pretty easliy.

Good luck!

-Tim

BisouBisou

Feb 4, 2005
Thank you again for all your advice. I will start to look for alternative vacation destination in case Puerto Rico doesn't work out. Several people mentioned other countries like Curacao, Mexico, Barbados, Jamaica, and the Bahamas. Does anyone know which airlines have non-stop flights from the Dominican Republic to these countries? I have done several searches and could not find any. We were also considering Spain. I know there are non-stop flights to Spain. Is it difficult to get a tourist VISA to Spain. Thank you again!

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Direct flights

Heyyyy
from DR
You have atleast once a week from Santo Domingo direct flights to
Montego bay Jamaica with AirJamaica (air jamaica also services alot of the caribean and dominicans can transit in jamaica with no problems)
Nassau Bahamas with Bahamasair
Barbados with BWIA Air or he can fly via Venezuela with Aeropostal Airlines
Havana and Santiago Cuba with Cuabana airlines

To Europe he has a whole bunch of options
for schecduled nonstops try Iberia,Air Europa, Air Comet all Nonstop to spain
for flights with connextions try
MartinAir,AirFrance,LTU,Condor

Hope it helps and if you have any other questions feel free to contact me via PM