Living on a Farm in DR.

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
What are some of the closes farms or cambers near Puerto Plata? How long would it take to get their, and by what transportation?

Karen

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
JDJones said:
It is located about 10 minutes west of the city, 1 km after the Riu Hotels.

I'm not sure I understand your question, though. Are you looking for a place to live??

No I not looking for anywhere to stay, just inquiring where some of the near by farms are.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
karenssp said:
I believe it is the spanish word for farm. I heard someone mention it.

Never heard that word in 12 years of speaking spanish.
Try finca, hacienda, granja

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Conani

Does anyone know where Conane or Conani is located? Im supposed to meet some people there but they have no idea where that is located. They say its Santiago but I never heard of it. I personally think... Sera un campo de santiago.
Please someone help me with this
thanks
p1

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's not a campo, it's a government institution - the national childhood council. They probably have an office in Santiago too, but you can contact them via their head office in Santo Domingo.

Consejo Nacional para la Ni?ez (CONANI) - CENINFA , Ave. M?xico esquina 30 de Marzo, Oficinas Gubernamentales, Bloque D., Santo Domingo, Tel. (809) 681-9161, E-mail: ceninfa@conani.gov.do , DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
p1atan0 said:
Does anyone know where Conane or Conani is located? Im supposed to meet some people there but they have no idea where that is located. They say its Santiago but I never heard of it. I personally think... Sera un campo de santiago.
Please someone help me with this
thanks
p1

Actually, it sounds more like the acronym for the gas or water company there in Nibaje. I am wracking my brain but I can't remember the name.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Chirimoya said:
It's not a campo, it's a government institution - the national childhood council. They probably have an office in Santiago too, but you can contact them via their head office in Santo Domingo.

Consejo Nacional para la Ni?ez (CONANI) - CENINFA , Ave. M?xico esquina 30 de Marzo, Oficinas Gubernamentales, Bloque D., Santo Domingo, Tel.:(809) 681-9161, E-mail: ceninfa@conani.gov.do , DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

I knew it was an acronym for something.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Thank You

Thank You All For Your Input But...
I Just Spoke To One Of The People After I Called All Of Them Crazy For Not Knowing Where They Live And It Was Confirmed That It Was Barrio Conani, En Santiago About 10 Minutes From The Airport I Guess Its A New Urbanisacion. What Do I Know? Im From The Capital And Mao.
Thank You All.
P1

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
stewart said:
Never heard that word in 12 years of speaking spanish.
Try finca, hacienda, granja

I guess some spanish speaking people may say campo, which means field.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
karenssp said:
I guess some spanish speaking people may say campo, which means field.

Now that we have that streightened out...
If you are looking for a place just to do a little sight seeing in the "campo", it is pretty easy.
One of my favorite things to do when I am in the DR is just head down a dirt road or trail and see what is down there. They are all over the DR. You can see them heading in every direction off every street. I have never been disappointed. You will see farms and rivers and anything else that suits your fancy. And the people that you will no doubt meet are the salt of the earth. I can gurantee you the highlight of any trip.
Or did you have another reason for asking?

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
karenssp said:
Sorry, just spelled the word wrong / s/b campo, which means field, not farm.
Just FYI, not only does it mean field. It is the typical word that is used for country or countryside.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
p1atan0 said:
Thank You All For Your Input But...
I Just Spoke To One Of The People After I Called All Of Them Crazy For Not Knowing Where They Live And It Was Confirmed That It Was Barrio Conani, En Santiago About 10 Minutes From The Airport I Guess Its A New Urbanisacion. What Do I Know? Im From The Capital And Mao.
Thank You All.
P1
That clears it up!

stewart said:
Just FYI, not only does it mean field. It is the typical word that is used for country or countryside.
...and in the DR 'un campo' can also mean a village. When a friend said to me 'naci en un campo de Cotui' she meant she was born in a small village in the province of Cotui (Sanchez Ramirez).

I still can't shake off the mental image of her mother giving birth in a field. ;)

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
i am not a native spanish speaker, but this is how i understand it:

around here we say we are going to the "finca" when we go to the farm. "campo" usually translates to countryside.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not to worry

If you say "campo" people will understand. "Finca" is more precise, but campo includes fincas...:D

Now CONANI is as described. I will find out where it is in our fair city. Just a minute. ,,,,,,, Okay, it is out to the west of Santiago, across the bridge towards La Herradura.

Lost? Okay. Are you supposed to go the offices or the barrio?

You can PM me if you want..I'll make sure you get thee...

HB