Damn lechones, they hit so hard.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Just to say, I hate carnival the la vega. This carnival is not geared towards family enertainment but for hard assed fanatics who love to brag about how many hits they can take without turning red.
I was in la vega yesterday to witness the carnival this year. I just don't know why I keep going back when, everytime, I promise myself never to return again. The problem is the damn lechones (devils in masks) who carry the hard balloon type thing to hit people on their behinds. It seems like these folks have deviated from using the air filled pig gut ballon to using some sort of hard tire rubber. This thing hurts when one gets hit hard. I was unfortunate enough to get hit right on the side of my thigh. It nearly crippled me. I am all red/blue on my leg. I had seen some girls cry with pain from hits sustained by these devils. Someone has to tell the organizers that getting hit by these hard rubber is no fun and certainly doesn't spell entertainment. I am a tough guy but I buckled after getting hit by these creatures. some times they attack in groups from all sides and hit young girls and even men with full force. I just don't know how a young slim girl can take a hit so hard?
If you are going there to see girls, forget it, no girls there to be seen except roof tops or in private belconies of houses. Streets are filled with chopos and drunk tigres. parking is a disaster and bathroom facilities are scarce.
If you folks really want to enjoy a good carnival where there is no danger of getting hit hard and not to mention, seeing a ton of cute girls; go see carnival the valverde de mao. its in march and only for one day.
AZB

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I got hit by one of those last February too - I was in pain the rest of the afternoon....

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
AZB...I hear you.

I don't understand it. It this a tradition with carnival in Brazil?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
AZB -

Way to go you have just admited in an online forum that you are a masochist. It has now been published.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Snuffy said:
I don't understand it. It this a tradition with carnival in Brazil?

No, it is not. I don't know of any othe place where they do this. In Brazil they just dance samba and have a lot of fun. The same in Cuba(comparsas and afro Cuban rythms) when they used to have it.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It is the same crap at the other Carnival. I was there with AZB last year and left after being bored, hot and feeling stupid wasting my time with a bunch of does. Only thing is that AZB was the one paddling the butts there I guess.

See one, you have seen them all.

Escott

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Time to check out the carnival in Bonao. Newly organized and seeking to build up like La Vega's carnival did. Maybe they will go easy on the beating.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Dolores said:
Time to check out the carnival in Bonao. Newly organized and seeking to build up like La Vega's carnival did. Maybe they will go easy on the beating.
I have been hearing lots of people mentioning carnival de bonao. Is it always on sundays like in la vega? i have also heard that they have carnival like festivities on saturdays as well of this month. please give more details.
AZB

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
lechones-santiago...diablos-la vega

A correction on AZB's post: 'lechones' are the costumed groups in Santiago; in La Vega they are called 'diablos' or devils.

The organizing committees in La Vega have struggled over the years to control the exaggerated hardness of the 'vejiga' or 'bladder'. This was originally a pig's bladder pumped up with air, or several bladders one inside the other (this is still used in Santo Domingo, Santiago and other places).
In recent years, pieces of motorcycle inner tubes are cut, tied at both ends and pumped up to high air pressure making it rock-hard. This is put inside a cloth bag, tightly wrapped around a rope which is held dangling by the devils who swing at your rear end or lower extremities with all their might. It is not pleasant to get hit with one of these and I don't understand the point of this obnoxious and dangerous part of the tradition; and I am from La Vega.

This carnival activity, as the best known ones in Bonao, Valverde, etc.,
is mostly to look at the carnival groups, eat and drink and people-watch.
Not much more than that.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I agree, these lechones are distroying the caRNIVAL de la vega. No family folks or young girls can enjoy the festival in peace and calm. everyone is constantly looking out for lechones and watching their every move. Now, la vega, carnival is loaded with drunk tigres and chopos. the family folks pay extra money to watch it from roof tops or private belconies. I am certainly not going there again. One hit was good enough for me. It still hurts.
AZB

Lurch

Aug 8, 2003
AZB said:
I agree, these lechones are distroying the caRNIVAL de la vega. No family folks or young girls can enjoy the festival in peace and calm. everyone is constantly looking out for lechones and watching their every move. Now, la vega, carnival is loaded with drunk tigres and chopos. the family folks pay extra money to watch it from roof tops or private belconies. I am certainly not going there again. One hit was good enough for me. It still hurts.
AZB

I always remember the diablos taking it pretty easy unless you really wanted to get hit (seems some guys enjoy it). Although I did take two hits in the exact same spot last year that left a mark, but they aimed only for the thigh and it was my own fault as I had my back the street.

La Vega has always had problems with tigres and chopos I do not believe it because of the carnival. I assumed it was just the local population as I have been warned many times about La Vega.

The pig bladder/cow utter/whatever it is in Santiago/Santo Domingo they use to strike is worse. The smell of the weapon is just plain nasty and will haunt your clothing for hours.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB said:
If you are going there to see girls, forget it, no girls there to be seen except roof tops or in private belconies of houses. Streets are filled with chopos and drunk tigres.

AZB, I found some via my very good friend at http://bonche.com

lavaga_1.jpg

lavaga_2.jpg

lavaga_3.jpg

lavaga_4.jpg

lavaga_5.jpg

lavaga_6.jpg

lavaga_7.jpg

lavaga_8.jpg

lavaga_9.jpg

lavaga_10.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Excellent pictures robert. Now you know why we are so proud to be living in Cibao Valley. The true dominican beauty exists in Cibao. Watch how many people will write "but these girls don't seem dominicans...." or "they don't really represent the true dominican women..." etc. I always get a kick out of it. So folks compare these foxes to the 3rd class whores in boca chica, puerto plata, sosua and cabarete whom foreigners pay top dollar, support their families and then marry them and then complain later.
Girls of these kinds (in photos) are dime a dozen in the cibao valley (la vega, moca, santiago etc) and even in jarabacoa and san jose de las matas and as far out as valverde de mao. By the way, the best carnival with the most beautiful girls in huge number is the carnival de mao. The lechones don't hit people and their balloons are air filled. The girls out number the guys there.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You think california girls like them are dying to go out with guys like us? Hahahaha
AZB