Can a professional be a Sankie?

lookin'forlove

Sep 14, 2004
My trip to the DR in January yielded a meeting with a DR resident doctor. He is not Dominican so has a visa already, his family is in the US and Asia and he regularly visits there, Canada and Europe. He has papers to allow him to work anywhere.

He is offering to pay to have me return for a visit between April and June, since he is not prepared to wait until November or next year when I would have planned my return on my own.

Does this fall into the "sounding suspicious" category? You're the jaded ones, but the knowledgeable ones. My friends here don't know what to make of it!

Waiting for your comments,
Lookin'for love

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Let's see logic says if he is willing to pay for your ticket to go back then he does not qualify to being a true sanky. A sanky would never fork out the cash for your ticket.

Free ticket - go and have fun. It will save you money. Check the waters.

If he would be anything it would be a playboy - but not enough information to know that.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
lookin'forlove said:
My trip to the DR in January yielded a meeting with a DR resident doctor. He is not Dominican so has a visa already, his family is in the US and Asia and he regularly visits there, Canada and Europe. He has papers to allow him to work anywhere.

He is offering to pay to have me return for a visit between April and June, since he is not prepared to wait until November or next year when I would have planned my return on my own.

Does this fall into the "sounding suspicious" category? You're the jaded ones, but the knowledgeable ones. My friends here don't know what to make of it!

Lookin'for love

Sounds like a good thing.. no sankie would ever pay a ticket for his love to return to the island.. go for it!

There is such a thing as being to suspicious..

Dec 9, 2002
If anybody - doctor, sankie, whatever - offered to pay for my ticket, I'd be there like a shot! Why do you think it may be suspicious?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Bring a lot of party hats and leave your heart at home. Lastly, if he is willing to pay for your ticket and you claim that you are broke from jump - you can also say that you have no cash either...

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
A while back a young Dominican ?professional? offered me a house, car, family and stability in exchange for marriage so he could have ?a good man? image in high society. I refused and 6 month later I saw him with his new pregnant wife! "The brat, she's probably driving my new Jeepeta"!! :nervous:

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
This might hurt a bit!

Obviously she has "some" reason to parallel the actions of a sankie with one of a doctor. I say he's probably a sankie of the higher kind. Sure he's not working the resorts, but he wants something. The poster of this thread did not say whether she had more money than he does. This happens all the time in those "high brow" pretentious snotty-azz society circles and in every part of the world. The question is: What do you feel you have that he might want other than your love/companionship?

One of the things I have learned in my seven months is that Dominicans tend to label and judge others, especially when they do the same thing but in a different style. ie..."I am not a sankie," but when he is driving you around town and showing you the country he might say " you know I am a taxi." A Doctor I know professionally, stop speaking to me when I did not hand over $1500 RD for his 8-10 patients who, out-of-nowhere magically appeared at his office on a Friday afternoon when we were scheduled to meet to discuss a working contract. Another time, while looking a VERY high end apartment the cleaning lady ask me for $10 pesos. I looked at her as if she was stupid to jeopardize her job over $10 pesos. I thought even from "her" perspective $10 pesos is nothing, but she obviously thought: what is there to lose? I say no, then nothing gained and nothing lost-she still has the pesos she has. I say yes, she got $10 more pesos.

You might call all this being a bit paranoid, but as I see it....They think were all "big money bags" and with opportunities to make even more money so why not get a little of yours now. Again, the poster has some reason for thinking this Doctor might be playing her...and I think she might be right!!

This is a den of thieves. Tread with much caution!
TEHAMA

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
lookin'forlove said:

Lookin'for love

I think you've already answered all your own questions. Why would you ask a bunch of strangers who've never met this man whether or not he's a sankie? How would we know?
Best of luck to you, take the trip and enjoy the beautiful country!!!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Where is he from?

"He is not Dominican so has a visa already, his family is in the US and Asia"

Where is this doctor from? One thing for sure, if he pays for your ticket he will expect you to be "his" 24/7! :nervous:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
juanita said:
A while back a young Dominican ?professional? offered me a house, car, family and stability in exchange for marriage so he could have ?a good man? image in high society. I refused and 6 month later I saw him with his new pregnant wife! "The brat, she's probably driving my new Jeepeta"!! :nervous:

juanita, whatever possessed you! ;) Was he gay and looking for a wife so he could be respectable in the eyes of society (I know there's a word for it but it escapes me), or was his true love for you unrequited?

lookin'forlove

Sep 14, 2004
Thanks for your comments ....

A.J. said:

If he would be anything it would be a playboy - but not enough information to know that.

Hmmmm, can't imagine him as a playboy. But I guess that's all part of it, isn't it? You see yourself as the only one.

lookin'forlove

Sep 14, 2004

MerengueDutchie said:
There is such a thing as being to suspicious..

I thought that too! But then again, a little suspicion is good at this point, isn't it?

lookin'forlove

Sep 14, 2004

Dominican Babe said:
If anybody - doctor, sankie, whatever - offered to pay for my ticket, I'd be there like a shot! Why do you think it may be suspicious?

It's not that I have any particular reason to be suspicious, I am just very unfamiliar with the situation. It is not something that happens to me in my regular life so I am unprepared to handle it! I really truly believe him to be an honest and above-boards kind of guy, but again isn't that what all we naive women who have been taken in have said?

lookin'forlove

Sep 14, 2004

Talldrink said:
Bring a lot of party hats and leave your heart at home. Lastly, if he is willing to pay for your ticket and you claim that you are broke from jump - you can also say that you have no cash either...

Yep, he knows I have no money. It came up that he would pay when I told him that I can only afford to travel to the DR for one week each year. It is because he says he wants to see me sooner that he is prepared to pay.

lookin'forlove

Sep 14, 2004
Chirimoya said:
When he pays for everything, does that mean you are the sankie? ;)

It crossed my mind! And this wouldn't be the first time! Doesn't it depend on whether I ask for things or if they are just offered?!

lookin'forlove

Sep 14, 2004
juanita said:

I don't think he needs me as a beard of respectibility. He already has that. I would actually probably lower his social standing!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
lookin'forlove said:
It crossed my mind! And this wouldn't be the first time! Doesn't it depend on whether I ask for things or if they are just offered?!

It depends how comfortable you are with the situation. It could make things a little awkward to say the least if you find you don't want to be with him after all, when he's paid all the bills. When a person offers to pay for everything, they might just be a little controlling, or they are thinking you can be bought. If it were me, I wouldn't be impressed, I'd be suspicious. Whatever the reason, it puts you at a disadvantage.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
lookin'forlove said:
I don't think he needs me as a beard of respectibility. He already has that. I would actually probably lower his social standing!!

A beard! That's the word I was looking for!