Treo / Ipaq mobile email plans?

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
I'm thinking of buying a smart phone and use it in the DR.
I'd go for a Treo 650 or HP Ipaq h6315 Pocket PC.
Do they work here?
If yes, which carrier should I choose? Orange/ Verizon ?

Thanks!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
gsupa said:
I'm thinking of buying a smart phone and use it in the DR.
I'd go for a Treo 650 or HP Ipaq h6315 Pocket PC.
Do they work here?
If yes, which carrier should I choose? Orange/ Verizon ?

Thanks!

You should be able to activate either in the DR. You need to find out if the transmission mode is GSM (Orange) or CDMA (Verizon). The question is, do you plan on using it in your home country as well? If so, you want a GSM phone, which will enable you to move back and forth by simply changing SIM cards.

roca

Jun 23, 2003
As of this moment I know for a fact the Treo 650 will not work in the DR, at least not with Verizon (cdma). I have a Treo 600 working fine and want to upgrade to the 650 but Verizon is giving the supplier a hard time putting it into it's database. If it's gsm, it should work fine.

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
what if it's an unlocked GSM Treo 650, do you think this could work...?
also, which carrier you use for your Treo, Verizon or Orange?
Do you have good coverage? Thanks!

roca said:
As of this moment I know for a fact the Treo 650 will not work in the DR, at least not with Verizon (cdma). I have a Treo 600 working fine and want to upgrade to the 650 but Verizon is giving the supplier a hard time putting it into it's database. If it's gsm, it should work fine.

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
Since I'm thinking of using it outside the DR as well, it looks like GSM should be the best solution. But does Orange have good coverage? I heard they don't work in apartment or hotel rooms, etc...

sweetdbt said:
You should be able to activate either in the DR. You need to find out if the transmission mode is GSM (Orange) or CDMA (Verizon). The question is, do you plan on using it in your home country as well? If so, you want a GSM phone, which will enable you to move back and forth by simply changing SIM cards.

roca

Jun 23, 2003
Mine is a Sprint Treo 600 working on Verizon network (cdma). Unfortunately for me mine came with the battery problem (only sprint models and within a certain serial number range have this problem).
Last I heard Palmone will release an unlocked GSM Treo 650 but they added and additional US$100 to the price, that would make it about US$ 700.
GSM, while having the coolest phones, and Orange having a good covergae, in my opinion, reception is not as good as cdma, but that has to do with the technology. Somehow it's always the gsm users screaming out the top of their lungs when in a phone conversation.
The hotel coverage problem, especially in the US is due to the fact that most hotels will block cel signals because customers where not using their hotel phone lines thus decreasing revenue.
You might want to check www.treocentral.com go to the treo 650 forum and ask anything you want.
Just yesterday I was at 7 Digitos searching for the 650 but the guy only has about 10 600's and way too expensive.

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
Nice website, did not know this one, very informative! Just wondering...Could you tell me how much you pay for your monthly plan with Verizon ? Also, do you know someone who uses Treo devices on GSM network in the DR so I can get get some additional feedback on this ?
I'd not like to be locked into a one/2 year contract with a weak coverage.
I appreciate, thanks!

roca said:
Mine is a Sprint Treo 600 working on Verizon network (cdma). Unfortunately for me mine came with the battery problem (only sprint models and within a certain serial number range have this problem).
Last I heard Palmone will release an unlocked GSM Treo 650 but they added and additional US$100 to the price, that would make it about US$ 700.
GSM, while having the coolest phones, and Orange having a good covergae, in my opinion, reception is not as good as cdma, but that has to do with the technology. Somehow it's always the gsm users screaming out the top of their lungs when in a phone conversation.
The hotel coverage problem, especially in the US is due to the fact that most hotels will block cel signals because customers where not using their hotel phone lines thus decreasing revenue.
You might want to check www.treocentral.com go to the treo 650 forum and ask anything you want.
Just yesterday I was at 7 Digitos searching for the 650 but the guy only has about 10 600's and way too expensive.

roca

Jun 23, 2003
I pay a rent of about $300, don't know what it includes, the company I work for pays my cel usage, usually about $2000. I do not know of anyone using a Treo with Orange, sorry, but cel plans here do not work as in the US with yearly contracts I think. You'll hace to call Orange and find out for yourself. One nice feature about the Orange Treo is the ability of using it as a 2 way radio (nextel began this in the US). I don't know how important this would be for you as I believe you need a circle of friends with the same activation for it to work. Call Orange and find out.

gsupa

Nov 14, 2004
Thank you for your help, I'll see with Orange and find out. GSM seems the best solution for me. However CDMA looks very attractive.

roca said:
I pay a rent of about $300, don't know what it includes, the company I work for pays my cel usage, usually about $2000. I do not know of anyone using a Treo with Orange, sorry, but cel plans here do not work as in the US with yearly contracts I think. You'll hace to call Orange and find out for yourself. One nice feature about the Orange Treo is the ability of using it as a 2 way radio (nextel began this in the US). I don't know how important this would be for you as I believe you need a circle of friends with the same activation for it to work. Call Orange and find out.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Handspring Treo 270 - Orange - Satisfied

I've had a Handspring Treo 270, GSM, using Orange for @ 1 year.
I'm satisfied; I don't use it much. This model is no longer sold [perhaps not manufactured] by Handspring, eager to sell the much more expensive models Oramge??
I think that the 270 is available on the informal market? Ebay? @ US $100. I get good to VG reception in most of the DR; exc. reception in Puerto Plata.
Orange seems like a reasonable company to deal with - by local standards. I pay 6 mos in advance using a USA credit card; works well; problems: I must go to Santiago or Santo Domingo to 1. pay w a credit card; 2. pay in advance! Why? This is the 21st century; I've asked several times. Response: a shrug of the shoulders. Que viva la Republica! ! But, . . Orange is a French company. All things considered, not a bad deal.

kkneafsey

Aug 9, 2004
HP Ipaq 6315

I have the Ipaq 6315 and use it with Orange. (you can use it with t-mobile in the states). I have been told it is hard to get the unlock code from t-mobile in order to use another service. I didnt have that problem.

I love the device. I get all my e-mail, pop mail etc.. on it. It syncs perfectly with outlook as well. Some people say they here an echo when I talk, but other than that I dont have any complaints. If you have any other questions PM me.

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Nextel phone in DR

Hi..........I am wondering if a Nextel phone can be activated in the DR.I was there recently and there was no service as it was.Thanks.......Acmike

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
Nextel is an iDEN packet based network. I believe some also have gsm capability but on 800mhz frequency. Here is 1900. I know that no where North of S.D offer to unblock nextel phones. I am not 100% that it is impossible though.
With regards to the ipaq / treo configuration for orangenet services is best made at one of the main offices in Santiago or Santo Domingo but maybe possible yourself or in an orangestore. You should take a monthly plan also as this is easier to setup internet services with in my experience. I spoke to an American gentleman from Sosua on this exact same topic the other day. Was that you?? :laugh: