Coming for surgery with a toddler in tow

aangelisnice

Feb 8, 2005
Hello All....
My mother is Judyisnice on here and I am her daughter Angel...I have a couple of questions for you all. I thought it might be a little easier(I'm a little lazy and can admit it) to ask you all, because you seem so wise whenever I read through these things.I'll section my questions off....

Firstly, my mother is planning a trip to Santo Domingo to have her hip replaced in the very near future at Clinica Abreu. Does anyone have any negative or positive stories to tell about that clinic? Also does anyone know of a good hotel near by that could accomidate my child (2) and I for about 14 days or so. We will have a car but would like to be within 30 minuites of that hospital. Or if nothing else we maybe rent something like an apartment for two. I think while mother is in the hospital, it would not be necessary to have something much bigger. I have never been to the south shore, and imagine we will be out and about a lot, and really just need something comfortable.

Secondly... Anyone that has had surgery on their hip done could maybe write back and let me know how your recovery progressed.

And finally. I was out there in the Dominican in 2001 for a while and worked at Anna's Bar with Nico, and I liked to play crib with someone named Don who lived in Costambar. If anyone knows who he is, maybe you could ask him to email me, because I would love to hit him up for a game of crib... I have the cheezies and coke!

ok, so one more q... Is there anything like Diapers that would be better if I brought it with me....like canadian chocolate, Canadian Oreos, or anything else that you thought would taste the same but doesn't....lol K, I hope to hear from some of you soon... A new poster....Angel

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Some hotels

Maison Gautreaux
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...utreaux-Santo_Domingo_Dominican_Republic.html

Hotel Napolitano

http://www.wcities.com/en/record/,288671/181/record.html

Hotel Continental
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-346877-hotel_continental-i

Some other options but not as close:

Aparta Hotel Milenium US$400-425
P H Ure?a 19 TV/AC/Kitchen/Cleaning
Santo Domingo, DR
(809) 688-5875

Aparta Hotel Uniplaza US$475
Av M?xico 55 TV/AC/Kitchen/Cleaning
Santo Domingo, DR
(809) 221-4673

Aparta-Hotel Plaza Del Sol US$400
J Contreras 25-A TV/AC/Kitchen/Cleaning
Santo Domingo, DR
(809) 686-2614

Central Aparta Hotel S A $400
L Navarro 41 TV/AC/Kitchen/Cleaning
Santo Domingo, DR
(809) 689-5282

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I would suggest that you bring as many diapers and wipes as you can. They are easily available here but very expensive compared to buying in the States.

I had knee surgery in Clinica Abreu last year and the experience was fine.

PM me if you want to set up an afternoon to bring your toddler over to swim (we have regular pool and a wading pool) or play if you end up at a place without a pool.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your mother.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
My aunt had hip replacement in the US - recovery loooong and not fun at all, so try to make her as comfortable as possible.

Bring the diapers and wipes (and babyfood if she still eats it from the jars) - they are about 10x more in DR and not the same. Since your baby is over 2, she is entitled to two luggage cases just like you, you can fix a box of supplies for her.

Since you mentioned Costambar, Sankies dont travel far from their hives, so I think you may need to forget about your old Sankie and get a new one closer to where you are staying. Dont worry, if you look you will find one under any rock.

Good luck and all the best to your mom.

aangelisnice

Feb 8, 2005
holy cow!!!!

Since you mentioned Costambar, Sankies dont travel far from their hives, so I think you may need to forget about your old Sankie and get a new one closer to where you are staying. Dont worry, if you look you will find one under any rock.

ok, I just came on to check things out and I have to reply to that, sorry.
I worked in a bar in PP where people went who spoke English, you know "white" people and I was, let's see, 27 years old, and he had to be at least 60 and we played CRIB together to pass that day away.
As much as I certainly had action there of the kind you suggest, I was minding a bar, long boring lonely days, and he came every day to amuse me for a short time whilst I sat behind a bar serving drinks to no one. I do apologize for not being entirely stupid enough to let that offend me and make me crawl into a corner, but I thought I could skip out that way for a day or two and take my mind off of my mother in a hospital, and get a few games in..... So if anyone knows him... Don, I think he worked in government or law enforcement, has a wife who loves crib also, lived in costambar, and has orange fingers from cheezies.....Can you tell him Angel from Anna's bar is coming back and would like to meet up...NO MONEY NEEDED...

aangelisnice

Feb 8, 2005
I'll work on it for ya!

juanita said:
For the cookies, chocolate (most brands) and pampers you will find it all in Supermercado Nacional. Unless you're an Areo chocolate fanatic like me (can't find it here)! :cry:

Juanita, thank you for the help. I had already read about Ken and was just looking for any other stuff people wanted to write. Thank you, though. I will check out the hotels you mentioned no prob.
I do have one q for you Do you prefer Regular or Mint? I am partial to Mint myself, though I am sure I could smuggle a few of whichever in for you. They are always better out of the freezer. 12? One a month, or if you are a real fanatic, it would be one every 2 hours and they's last you a day! lol Let me know. I am in canada, so if there is anything else people need like hair products, let me know. angel

aangelisnice

Feb 8, 2005
expatsooner said:
I would suggest that you bring as many diapers and wipes as you can. They are easily available here but very expensive compared to buying in the States.

I had knee surgery in Clinica Abreu last year and the experience was fine.

PM me if you want to set up an afternoon to bring your toddler over to swim (we have regular pool and a wading pool) or play if you end up at a place without a pool.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your mother.

Thanks so much for the info and the offer. I am sure it is going to be a long few weeks for us, and Allexella will tire fast, I am sure of looking at buildings, though she will find the bugs fascinating. Swimming in a pool and not the ocean will be a welcome change. No to mention her being confined to an area. I hate to run...lol I just realized that I wrote 3 messages on here, should I be talking to people in secret on here, I do not know the rules of the board, as I am 2 days old.... thank you, Ang

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
aangelisnice said:
....And finally. I was out there in the Dominican in 2001 for a while and worked at Anna's Bar with Nico, and I liked to play crib with someone named Don who lived in Costambar. If anyone knows who he is, maybe you could ask him to email me, because I would love to hit him up for a game of crib... I have the cheezies and coke! ...

Angel, I'm not sure where you are from, but this is a classic case of miscommunication and being lost in translation. Key words used in your post: crib, Don, Costambar, you asked for someone to contact you...

A game of crib is not a game of cards (I think - I may still be confused) Where I'm from and in DR (for Dominicans) a game of crib is getting in bed with someone. And if you are bringing cheetos and coke, then you have the munchies - which means that you are looking to feel nice while smoking some nice natural leaves with the fella...

Sorry if I offended you, did not want to make you want to go crawl to a corner or anything like that. If anything, getting some play while your mom heals does not sound like a bad idea to me. I'm not one of the vicious ones here, I'm sarcastic to an extent, but never mean on purpose.

Good luck.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
aangelisnice said:
Juanita, thank you for the help. I had already read about Ken and was just looking for any other stuff people wanted to write. Thank you, though. I will check out the hotels you mentioned no prob.
I do have one q for you Do you prefer Regular or Mint? I am partial to Mint myself, though I am sure I could smuggle a few of whichever in for you. They are always better out of the freezer. 12? One a month, or if you are a real fanatic, it would be one every 2 hours and they's last you a day! lol Let me know. I am in canada, so if there is anything else people need like hair products, let me know. angel

Wow! That would be sooooooo nice! One a day for 12 days would be marvelous! The regular ones with all their delicious bubbles of air are my favorites! ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Don't worry, aangelisnice, some of us knew what you meant........you were talking about cribbage, weren't you, played with a wooden board with little holes in which to peg the score? (Just wait, someone will misinterpret that as well........... ;)
If the Don from Costambar is also the Don who liked to do carpentry as a spare time interest, haven't seen him in ages, like about 8 years & had heard he'd left, but since you saw him in 2001, that info could be incorrect. There are people from Costambar who post here, so someone should know. And if it makes you feel any better, the Don I knew was in my age group (he'd be in his 60's now) & definitely not a sankie!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Sankiephobia

I think some of our fellow members suffer from Sankiephobia!!
They say to cure phobias you have to face your fear, so we should take all of our members suffering from sankiephobia to an AI disco, fill it with the animation team and lock the doors! :nervous:

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Ok, can we take a poll here!!

Who here that doesnt know what the game of CRIB (or cribbage) means didnt think that she was referring to a Sankie. If anyone of you read my apology reply to Angel, then you would know why I took it there.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I shall be the first ignoramus to own up to not knowing that crib was anything other than a card game!
You see, a crib is something you put a baby in..........some of us prefer grown up men. ;)

aangelisnice

Feb 8, 2005
Talldrink said:
Angel, I'm not sure where you are from, but this is a classic case of miscommunication and being lost in translation. Key words used in your post: crib, Don, Costambar, you asked for someone to contact you...

A game of crib is not a game of cards (I think - I may still be confused) Where I'm from and in DR (for Dominicans) a game of crib is getting in bed with someone. And if you are bringing cheetos and coke, then you have the munchies - which means that you are looking to feel nice while smoking some nice natural leaves with the fella...

Sorry if I offended you, did not want to make you want to go crawl to a corner or anything like that. If anything, getting some play while your mom heals does not sound like a bad idea to me. I'm not one of the vicious ones here, I'm sarcastic to an extent, but never mean on purpose.

Good luck.

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY! I AM SO USED TO GIRLS GETTING INTO CRAP FOR SEEING DOMINICANS AND GETTING "TAKEN", THAT I DIDN'T WANT MY FIRST POST TO PUT ME INTO THAT CATEGORY. CRIBBAGE (CRIB FOR SHORT) IS A GREAT CARD GAME, I WILL TEACH YOU WHEN i COME DOWN IF YOU LIKE.....

AND BE CAREFUL ALL, I MIGHT GET USED TO ALL OF THIS POSTING AND PUT MY 2 CENTS IN EVERYWHERE. I HAVE A LOT OF COLD,LONELY NIGHTS UP HERE IN CANADA. ARE THERE ANY "HEATED" TOPICS THAT EVERYONE ON THE FORUM SHOULD EXPRESS THEIR OPINION OF. SEND ME ANY LINKS AND IT WON'T TAKE LONG FOR ME TO NEVER SHUT UP. ACTUALLY HAD I KNOWN THE SLANG FROM TALLDRINK (?! OF WHAT, MAY i ASK), I'D HAVE PROBABLY MADE THE SAME CALL. I HAVE SEEN A FEW STUPID TOURISTS GET TAKEN OVER THERE IN MY TIMES THERE, AND HAVE OCCASIONALLY PLAYED "STUPID" MYSELF JUST FOR A GOOD PIECE OF ***, OR TO GET MY MOTOR CONCHO FILLED AT THE GAS STATION..."OH, THE GAS DOESN'T GO IN THE TIRE!?!??!!?" THEY FALL FOR THAT ONE EVERY TIME..... HAHAHA "STUPID CANADIAN GIRLS" THEY GIGGGLE, AS THE CANADIAN GIRL DRIVES AWAY WITH HER HANDS STILL SMELLING PRETTY FOR THE BOYS AT THE CLUB....
I KNOW THAT CAPS IS YELLING, BUT I JUST REALISED IT AND AM TO LAZY TO DO IT AGAIN. ONCE YOU MEET ME, YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THAT IS HOW I PRETTY MUCH TALK ALL THE TIME ANYWAY, SO IT IS NOT ENTIRELY INACCURATE... NICE TO MEET Y'ALL.... ANGEL

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Talldrink said:
Ok, can we take a poll here!!

Who here that doesnt know what the game of CRIB (or cribbage) means didnt think that she was referring to a Sankie. If anyone of you read my apology reply to Angel, then you would know why I took it there.

Never heard of Cribbage (Crib) being known as anything else OTHER than the card game!! Mind you, I probably don't move in the same circles as Talldrink so it is not surprising I have never heard it used in connection with bedding someone!

Welcome to DR1 Angie & I hope all goes well for you, your mother & your daughter in Santo Domingo. If 'DON' is the carpenter Lambada speaks of, I'll check out his house in Coastambar in the next week or two & see if he has an e-mail address or 'phone number for you to make contact with. ~ Grahame.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
It's funny how we interpret things according to what we are familiar with. I never for a second tought Angel meant anything else other than a card game and getting together with an old friend.

Angel, good luck with your mom. It scares me a little bit that she is having this complicated surgery done in the DR. I assume it is because of financial reasons, altough I thought everyone gets affordable and good medical care in Canada.

Just keep an eye on her while she is at the hospital. And don't fully trust that the nurses know what they are doing. They are not as hightly trained as nurses in other countries. I hope she has a good doctor.

Juniper

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
I had my hip replaced exactly two months ago and I'm fine now ... It takes normally between 6 - 8 weeks to really recover from it ..mine took eight weeks since I had a knee inflammation during my recovery which hadto be cured first (during recovery any infection has to be cured immediately even a small tooth infection ) . Indeed if your hip would infect you might start having real problems that might last long or having to go thru a second operation ...but as I said above I'm fine now .. Driving a car was ok 4 weeks after the operation ... Will have my second hip replaced end March and hope to be totally recovered and better than today by June 1st.because I have planned to visit the Dominican republic for at least one month in the July -August period (9th. year in a row )
aangelisnice said:
Hello All....
My mother is Judyisnice on here and I am her daughter Angel...I have a couple of questions for you all. I thought it might be a little easier(I'm a little lazy and can admit it) to ask you all, because you seem so wise whenever I read through these things.I'll section my questions off....

Firstly, my mother is planning a trip to Santo Domingo to have her hip replaced in the very near future at Clinica Abreu. Does anyone have any negative or positive stories to tell about that clinic? Also does anyone know of a good hotel near by that could accomidate my child (2) and I for about 14 days or so. We will have a car but would like to be within 30 minuites of that hospital. Or if nothing else we maybe rent something like an apartment for two. I think while mother is in the hospital, it would not be necessary to have something much bigger. I have never been to the south shore, and imagine we will be out and about a lot, and really just need something comfortable.

Secondly... Anyone that has had surgery on their hip done could maybe write back and let me know how your recovery progressed.

And finally. I was out there in the Dominican in 2001 for a while and worked at Anna's Bar with Nico, and I liked to play crib with someone named Don who lived in Costambar. If anyone knows who he is, maybe you could ask him to email me, because I would love to hit him up for a game of crib... I have the cheezies and coke!

ok, so one more q... Is there anything like Diapers that would be better if I brought it with me....like canadian chocolate, Canadian Oreos, or anything else that you thought would taste the same but doesn't....lol K, I hope to hear from some of you soon... A new poster....Angel

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Angel, what ever happened with your mom's surgery? Did she have it? If she did, how is she doing now. Please let us know. We care.

aangelisnice

Feb 8, 2005
judyisnice seems "nicer"

Hello All
And a special hello to all of you who live in Santo Domingo! I am having a wonderful time here in the Colonial Area of town, and am pleased to see that the D.R. has a city just like any other country in Canda or the States. Having only been to Puerto Plata before, I am pleased to say that not all local men who live here are "sankies" and not every person in the world is trying to get in my pants literally or otherwise. "Though would I mind...hmmmm???" Cummon, I'm kidding. I am mostly having a good time trying to expand my knowledge of the language by talking to anyone who will lend me their ear, no matter how broken it is after the first 10 minutes of talking to me. All is well with my mother, and she is out of the hospital, and hobbling around here with the help of a walker. She had a total hip replacement, and is feeling much better physically than when we landed about 3 weeks and a couple days ago. She is having physio therapy for about 10 days, same as Barbra, and then maybe it is off to the north coast or off to Canada, not sure which yet, depends on how she is feeling. But she has asked me to extend an invitation anyone who wants to drop by maybe after 6pm on Saturday for a drink or two... Wine, Beer, Perhaps Rum... you are more than welcome. Maybe you could add yourself to this thread with your drink preferance, and then I would know what to pick up. The more the merrier. Hope to hear from you all soon....Angelisnice....the Daughter of Judyisnice