Warning: ATM card skimmed in POP

bacha

Jan 31, 2004
freizeit.bonzgd.biz
On 2,3,4 and 6 February 2005, approximately 100,000 pesos were withdrawn from my stateside bank account debit card (ATM card). Five withdrawals were made per day for approximately 5000 pesos each ($175). It wasn't until Sunday (6 Feb) that I noticed the withdrawls on my stateside internet banking account. I notified my bank and the debit card was cancelled. My stateside bank has the matter under investigation and except for $50 my money should be returned. My bank has asked Banco Popular for the complete details of all transactions and if any videos were made. What is odd about the matter, is that my card was in my possession the whole time and I am the only person with knowledge of the pin number. All withdrawls were made at Banco Popular #950 in POP. Banco Popular was sympathic, but informed me that my stateside bank would have to initiate the investigation. My question is: Has anyone heard of this happening before? Is there a local scam going on the the area? Is it possible to withdraw funds from an ATM machine without actually having the card? No credit charges were made against the accout since as I said, the card was in my possession.

Bogus ATM cards

Many techies can have a smart card reader and coder, much the same as TV pirate cards, learn what your pin # was and code it on a bogus ATM card and head for the nearest ATM. Some use tiny hidden camera's to take a picture of your punching in your pin number.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If you search through the archives you'll find that this same problem has happened to a bunch of people, paricularly in the Sosua area. Personally I think a lot of these are inside jobs.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Rocky said:
This is quite common these days and Banco Popular seems to specialize in this field.

Is there anyway we can protect ourselves against this problem?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
RonS said:
Is there anyway we can protect ourselves against this problem?
Don't use ATM machines.
I seem to remember a poster awhile back bragging about the great exchange rates he got through ATM's, but if they rip you off with that type of frequency, it doesn't seem like such a great deal to me.
Cash, traveller's checques and credit cards that allow you to make cash withdrawals, right there in the bank, seem to be better options.
It's bad enough that you would get ripped off, but the inconvenience of trying to claim it back, makes ATM's unnaceptable. IMHO.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Banco Popular seems to have some security problems. Granted I have someone my card and pin number so I should not be surprised I got ripped off too, however, the person who did this somehow managed to have the charges show up one week later which could only have been via help from either merchants or via bank employees.

By delaying the charges one week later, I did not see the theft and it gave them time to go to different merchants and use the debit card. I got ripped off about RD$50,000. Of course there is nothing Banco Popular is doing.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Jan said:
Can you use a bank card inside the bank to get money without using the machines?
I have wondered the same thing myself.
If it's possible to do it that way, it would be a lot safer.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Jan said:
Can you use a bank card inside the bank to get money without using the machines?

i have......usually when the machines are not working.
they usually tell you there is a rd$10 charge and ask for other id.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Wow criminals are doing this scam in the dr too. I know this was a big scam in canada. Maybe inernational scam artists are opening a new chapter in the dr.

N.C.

Oct 18, 2004
Yes I think so

Rocky said:
I got a friend that work at Reservas Bank and she told me that?s possible, you go to the bank with the card and tell em that you want to take some money from the atm card and the will make you fill out some document to give you the money, but I thinks its possible... ;)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
They did this for years...

Rocky said:

before ATM machines were invented. You just ask the teller for a "cash advance". I haven't done it for a long time since the ATM is so convenient, but I would think most banks will still do it.

Oops, now that I actually read the original post I see that we are talking about an ATM card, not a credit card. I'm not so sure a DR bank would do that "inside" for a withdrawal from a US account.

Last edited:

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
On a brighter note, Twilight and I finally got our money back from the ATM mishap we had on New Years Eve.

In our case the theif stole the money by causing the machine to reboot over and over until we eventually left. This scam, at least could only be done when the bank was closed, and I am thinking it is best to always use the ATM only if the bank is open. Even then I do not know that it would have stopped someone from cloning the card.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thebes said:
On a brighter note, Twilight and I finally got our money back from the ATM mishap we had on New Years Eve.

In our case the theif stole the money by causing the machine to reboot over and over until we eventually left. This scam, at least could only be done when the bank was closed, and I am thinking it is best to always use the ATM only if the bank is open. Even then I do not know that it would have stopped someone from cloning the card.

DELIGHTED to hear the good news Thebes. Was this Orlando coming through for you or was it your own bank that finally pushed things through??

ANYONE using debit cards for getting money from ATM's please note there are MANY scams affot in the DR to take YOUR money from you when you are not looking. Be AWARE of your surroundings & report to the bank you are near when drawing money of ANY suspicious happenings or people around you!! ~ Grahame.

d life

Oct 11, 2004
This happened to me in broad day light even when the bank was open. Banco Popular. I made a withdrawal for 5000pesos and it processed immidiately 2 withdrawals for 5000 pesos.I did not really understand what was going on untill I read this now. I think I will go ahead and cancel the card. This is a big surprise to me. And I will take this out with my bank.