thegood,thebad,andthecrooks...

theoldmillwright

the oldmillwright
Mar 6, 2004
canada
Just returned back to Las Terrenas from a week in Sosua.First the good part of our trip is we stayed at the el colibri resort,this was our second time to stay here and we will be staying again next dec.when we come back to the dr. for the winter,truely a great place to stay and wonderful people running it.The second part of the good is we had great meals at EL Torro steakhouse and also at La Finca restaurant.We also had a few meals at Rocky's,food good,service good,but,the washrooms.....One other night we were also at the Waterfront,it had been maybe 6 or 7 years since we had been here,the service was great,food was not what it was but still a good meal,prices are pegged to former reputation,talking of prices I just have to mention on our entry the older woman who was taking us out asked if they took american money,of coarse they said yes,when we got our bill it was in peso's,she said she had wanted it in dollars,waiter said very easy it's 23 peso to a dollar,I said no 28 no he said 23 well he got paid in peso's that i had and right to the peso and not one more.One other little trick being tryed is the change houses are trying not to give you the proper amount if you are cashing travellers checks,which is bull because in alot of countrys they give you more,so just walk away and they will call you back.Also some info for people wanting to go to samana their is a bus,be at the gas station on the hwy for 7am.we got of in Sanchez cost was 150 each.The bus seats 30 maybe and not that much room for luggage,but good for people who want to go whale watching for a day or two.Anyway were back in Las Terrenas for the rest of the winter thank god...

theoldmillwright

the oldmillwright
Mar 6, 2004
canada
Conchman said:
I never understood why you would get more for travelers checks. Someone care to explain that?
I really don't know why,maybe because their is a fee on the front end,maybe less chance of counterfit,BUT,i know they are not worth less.OH yes I forgot to mention on the good side of the trip,there is a jewlery store on David Stern street run by a man by the name of Hugo Ducros,not only does he have a nice little store with a great array of jewerly,he is very knowledgeable and just an alround nice person ,great to deal with.

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Good to know about the so-called fee of changing travellers cheques..

I've always exchanged my traveller's cheques in the hotel cash-thingy and I do recall on at least on one of my trips that I'm aware of that they charged me some fee because they were cheques and not dollars.. I guess they got me.. hook line and sinker..

Definately good to know for future trips though.. thanks.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
OK. In my experience, most cambios there is a conversion amount for cash and one for travellers cheques, if I recall correctly, and NEVER have I received MORE when cashing those than when exchanging cash for cash. There's always some sort of fee taken, whether it's at your hotel or a cambio, and it could be a percentage or a flat fee.

So CCutie you were NOT taken...it's standard in many many places.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Part of the problem with TCs

Is that a lot of low-down travellers will pay in Traveler's Checks and then, when he gets home he claims that they were stolen, m\Maybe even the next day!. So if you wait a day or so to cash them, the bank will not accept them and may even call the cops for passing stolen money. During the few months I was in Sosua, I was under orders to deposit any TCs at once, not even the next day!

HB:D:D