Smoke in Santiago

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Todays editon of "Hoy" has a story about santiago being covered in smoke due to burning garbage. THey say it has been bad for days. And the picture with the story looked terrible. How bad is it?

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
juanita said:
http://www.hoy.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=36192

It's probably only affecting the low class (chopos, bimbos, fat, ugly) neighborhoods!! :nervous:

Actually, they did say it was most affecting Cien fuegos, Ensanche Libertad etc.
So, it was mostly poor neighborhoods. As for the chopo's, bimbo's etc. There are as many of those in Los Jardines, Cerro de GUravo etc. as there are in the poorer neighborhoods. Just a different type. But chopo and bimbo just the same.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have been awakened at night a few times last couple of days by the smell of burning garbage, also causing dry throat and sore eyes. I live in Llanos de Gurabo, a little ways past the E. Leon Jimenez cultural center on 27 de Feb.

I have gotten more or less used to this, there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about it.

noel

Dec 29, 2004
My daughter and I were sitting in the park next to the Algagracia church a couple of evenings ago and were so bothered by this that we had to go inside. I had no idea what it might be. I also saw a big garbage fire on the bottom of a hillside on the south part of La Zurza the other day. Is this uncommon here?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Not at all, burning garbage is very common, happens all the time. Occasionally someone with influence can call the fire department and get folks to knock it off, but usually this is about as frustrating as getting loud neighbors to pipe down.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
noel said:
My daughter and I were sitting in the park next to the Algagracia church a couple of evenings ago and were so bothered by this that we had to go inside. I had no idea what it might be. I also saw a big garbage fire on the bottom of a hillside on the south part of La Zurza the other day. Is this uncommon here?

It's pretty common. It seems like there is always smoke in the air.
But apperently, this is more that usual.
La Zurza is a nice area. And not near the places that were mentioned in the newspaper story.