Laundromat

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
Would a laundromat service be a good business to start in DR? Where would the water supply come from?

Karen

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
karenssp said:
Would a laundromat service be a good business to start in DR? Where would the water supply come from?

Karen
If you look at the US, most people that use them are lower income.
Those with money have their own machines.
In the DR, those with money still have their own machines. Those without wash by hand. Or on occasion rent a small washing machine that is delivered to their home for a few hours.
Just consider the market and location carfully. I am sure there is somewhere that it could make money.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are a couple of laundromats in Sosua. Not sure how well they are doing. And we have our own small one in the condo complex where I live. It is used mostly by renters, as the owners who live here mostly have their own washing machine by now.

Small washing machines for home use are fairly inexpensive in the DR. I think most home users have just a washing machine and hang their clothes to dry.

As I write this, it occurs to me there might be an opportunity for you to do business with the condo complex where I live. Use the space we have, bring in your own machines--ours are very old, and offer laundry service to the residents of our condo complex and also take in outside washing.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Laundromats for hotels?

Are there laundry services that specialize in pick up and delivery of hotel laundry (towels, bedlinen, etc)? I suppose the big A.I. hotels will have their own installations but what about the smaller hotels?
Bartolomeo

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Dry Cleaners...that is where I see the money in this area. There are a few here in Santiago that are always busy.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I would agree with dry cleaning.
There is a laundromat in Puerto Plata as well ( maybe more that I dont know about ), close to Jose Luis Supermercado. I dont know how busy it is.
And as you say, if you have money you have your own washingmashine, if not you borrow, hire or wash by hand.
If you live a normal life here, have employment etc, it is also common you just have someone who does the cleaning and laundry for you, a maid coming every week, or the neighbour etc.
Smaller hotels usually have a washingmashine or 2 on the property for guests to use. A washingmashine for 5-10 000 is not a big investments for most hotels, as they still need it for their own laundry..
I would look into and learn more about the drycleaning possibilites if I were you.
Good luck, and let us know about your plans!