Question about dog(canine)

oaktown75

Feb 9, 2005
We are planning a move in the future to the DR. We own a 3 year old maremma(simalar to a Great pyranese)which i would very much like to bring along.My concern is that it will be far to warm for her.1)does anyone online here have long haired dogs and if so were they brought into the new enviroment when you moved there?2)if the answer was yes to number one,was it too hard on the dog in your opinion?Any input would be most appreciated.......thank you

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
oaktown75 said:
We are planning a move in the future to the DR. We own a 3 year old maremma(simalar to a Great pyranese)which i would very much like to bring along.My concern is that it will be far to warm for her.1)does anyone online here have long haired dogs and if so were they brought into the new enviroment when you moved there?2)if the answer was yes to number one,was it too hard on the dog in your opinion?Any input would be most appreciated.......thank you

Am not familiar with this breed...

You could live in a breezy, well ventilated or air conditioned place. From November through April it is not that hot in the DR. So far this year, would say the day time temperatures for the "winter" have been averaging around 25C.

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
We bought 2 Tibetan Mastiff dogs with us from England 2 years ago, they are both fine but a little more lazy than they were before (if that is possible!) We have since bought another female Tibetan in from USA she is also fine.
They used to only shed their thick undercoat in spring, now they lose it most of the year.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
One thing I've noticed is that long haired dogs seem to get more skin and allergy problems when placed in new environments that are hot. It would be best to talk to a vet about this but I don't foresee any major problems.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Golden Retriever

Anyone have experience with golden retrievers in the DR? We are hoping to bring ours when we move down but we as well are worried about the heat

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
oaktown75 said:
We are planning a move in the future to the DR. We own a 3 year old maremma(simalar to a Great pyranese)which i would very much like to bring along.My concern is that it will be far to warm for her.1)does anyone online here have long haired dogs and if so were they brought into the new enviroment when you moved there?2)if the answer was yes to number one,was it too hard on the dog in your opinion?Any input would be most appreciated.......thank you[/QUOTE

I have a shepard/rottie/st bernard mix that was born in the Dominican Republic. While we lived there he had a very thin coat of hair - no undercoat at all. We moved to PA seven years ago and it has been interesting to see his coat change over the years. This winter is the first time I have seen him with little "feathers" of fur down his butt and the back of his legs. He has an extremely thick undercoat now that blows out in the spring!
I took him to the Dominican Republic for three months in 1991 and within a week he developed raw "hot spots" that did not clear up till we got back to the cooler weather.
I would imagine that if we would have stayed longer, that he would have adapted to the hotter weather again, just as he did to the cold and snow.
Sunny

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As the Great White Pyrenese were bred in cold weather climates and have long hair, they are bound to find it a bit warm around here.
Perhaps you could do a search on the internet to see how they fair in warm climates.

oaktown75

Feb 9, 2005
Thanks for the input

The general feeling I had was that she will adapt over a period of time.Some of the comments i have read and looked into confirm this.I had not seen any thick/long haired dogs while being there previously.The Mastiff dogs one of the posters have ,look quite similar in regards to coats(cool looking dogs btw).Again ,thanks for the input.